• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Permissions: lightroom does not have write permission to some standard user folders

Community Beginner ,
May 14, 2020 May 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone,

After installing Xrite color checker & DNG profiler I was unable to locate the plugin so logged out of LR thinking it may need to restart to see said plugins. When relaunching LR I got: "lightroom does not have write permission to some standard user folders", see screen shots.

So far I have done the following:

Created another user login with admin permissions, LR works fine. 

None of the following has changed anything:

Rebooted in safe mode

Rebooted in PRAM mode, not sure of correct terminology here 🙂 ... opt+command+P+R

Moved Xrite Color Checker & DNG Profiler to the trash (they were actually apps, not plugins)

Trashed BashScriptDebug.txt file

Given LR & PS permissions in Security & Privacy. As you can see from the screenshot I have no option for files & folders in security & privacy.

Same problem when opening old LR version

Ripped my hair out & googled until my fingers bled.

I found on this forum a thread where someone said they manually changed permissions by running a script, but didnt give any indication of what or how. sadly I know zippo about scripts.

All updates are current.

Looking forward to your replies, many many thanks in advance.

Lyn

24inch iMac, late 2014

High Sierra

LR Classic

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 15, 2020 May 15, 2020

Try the followingopen up terminal.app (type terminal in the looking glass top right in the menubar)

type (just copy and paste):

diskutil resetUserPermissions / `id -u`

This will take a while and will reset the permissions in your home folder. Might fix your problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
May 14, 2020 May 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2020-05-15 at 08.39.40 am.png

Screen Shot 2020-05-15 at 08.05.14 am.png

Screen Shot 2020-05-15 at 08.05.02 am.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 15, 2020 May 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens if you click "learn more"? I think it should show you the folder that is the problem. Find that and fix the permissions on it using a get info in finder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jao,

Thanks, but nope, "learn more" takes me to an adobe help page, see below. I have tried everything suggested to no avail.

I need to get on with work & need LR to do so, this is so frustrating.

Thanks again

Lyn

Screen Shot 2020-05-16 at 09.55.31 am.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try the followingopen up terminal.app (type terminal in the looking glass top right in the menubar)

type (just copy and paste):

diskutil resetUserPermissions / `id -u`

This will take a while and will reset the permissions in your home folder. Might fix your problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh my goodness, thank you Jao, that worked!

Thank you,

Thank you

Thank you 🙂

Cheers

Lyn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 11, 2020 Jun 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi, i have exact same problem, where did you paste the above once opened terminal app, and then did you press enter? its not clear when i click on my terminal app what to do...

Many thanks, Alice

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 12, 2020 Jun 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi alice, you just copy and paste it on the commandline in terminal (you'll see a little grey block). Just activate the window and hit command-V to paste. Then hit return to execute the command. It will show some feedback on what's happening. Afterwards you should be rid of the problem (hopefully)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Alice, yes hit enter, it worked for me.

Cheers
Lyn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 02, 2021 Dec 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much. Installing Lightroom Classic on Monterey in 2021 still needs this code to fix

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 11, 2022 Feb 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jao!  You are a GOD!!! I have been weepign over this for 2 days!  THANK YOU THANKYOU THANK YOU!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 31, 2022 Jul 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me as well, thanks !!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A good place to start might be with the Xrite plugins. Here is a link to some of their support docs that you might find useful. 

https://www.xrite.com/categories/calibration-profiling/colorchecker-classic-family/colorchecker-pass...

Warmly/j

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Joseph,

I have tried all solutions suggested by XRite & have been speaking with their Aussie guy who suggested if all else fails to reinstall the OS, which I have done last night, he did say he has come across this situation before, however a solution is nowhere in site. LR still gives me the same permissions windows post reinstall of the OS. Initially the apps installed but the plugin was not installed, the file was nowhere to be found which is how this nightmare began. Apps now moved to trash.

Am now wondering if I need to remove, then reinstall LR after googling any consequences. 

Any suggestions would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks again for your input,

Cheers

Lyn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oops, sorry Joseph I didnt link my reply to your post, see below,

Cheers

Lyn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot 2020-05-15 at 8.43.02 PM.png

Please use the fourth icon from the right in the screen capture to insert images, do not use the one to insert a link.

Lots of people will bypass your post instead of downloading the file into their Download folder. 
This post is specifically intended fo the original poster.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for your help Jao! I had the same problem and this worked!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 18, 2020 Jun 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you soooo much! I went crazy trying to solve this error. I tried anything with no results and this advice of yours finally worked. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 12, 2020 Jul 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been enduring this permissions issue for months. I ran Jao_vdL's command and that fixed it. Thank you! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 06, 2022 Aug 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think this is the thread where I foind the anser I was searching for.  I tried loading classic into my Mac desktop (circa 2014) and like many I was getting the permission issue. So I bought an HP PC to respolve the problem.  However, the HP is not the Mac.

So not getting a satisfactory answer from customer service I searched here and found diskutil resetUserPermissions / `id -u` - btw, trumpets were playing when I typed that.

As a part time photogapher or simply a guy with a lot of cameras, I can't begin to tell you how overjoyed I am.  It's Christmas in August or Festivus!!!

Thanks,

Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 06, 2022 Aug 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sorry about the spelling.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 19, 2022 Dec 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the great advice, like others I was struggling. There is so much "wrong" help out there but this was spot on, thank you again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 01, 2023 May 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have one more similar issue. 

It solved the one message but now on Mac I get the following message:

Screenshot 2023-05-01 at 10.04.24 AM.jpg

I then tried to change the permissions by going to that folder, but I am not allowed even when I put in the admin password. I only have one account on the Mac which the is the admin account. Any Ideas? I already gave full write permissions to Lightroom in privacy and security in settings.

It will not allow me to change the settings here in my Mac even with my admin password...  ?

Screenshot 2023-05-01 at 10.06.12 AM.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 01, 2023 May 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@MatthewGeorge , Apple has made changes in recent operating systems, please indicate the actual version number for macOS you currently have installed on your computer.

See the link below for more info.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/mac-help/mchl211c911f/mac

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 03, 2023 Oct 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

For those still having this issue in 2023, I just fixed it very quickly with using a script to restore permissions. That information can be found here: https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/lightroom-basic-troubleshooting-fix-most-issues.html#Tr... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines