Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Preview folders re-used in Classic?

Engaged ,
Oct 18, 2017 Oct 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

After converting to Classic as well as retaining cc/2015.x,  I see the new catalog next to the old one, but the old preview folders seem to have been renamed (not copied) to the new catalog name?  Is this normal?  Can both versions work off of the same previews folders? 

Also, when opening the CC/2015.x version it warns tells me that his must be a backup copy of the catalog and as such syncing has been turned off.  I'm not ready for this yet as I'm still seeing if I can get 7.0 running OK (update plug-ins, etc.) so I want the old catalog to be the real one and do the syncing.  It tells me that if this is the real catalog then I need to start syncing fresh.and resync everything.  This is a lot and I'm not sure what will happen in terms of cloud storage space (I'm currently about 80% full with my currently synced images so am worried if it tries to add them all again). 

Not sure how to proceed? 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 06, 2017 Nov 06, 2017

Califdan2  wrote

Hi,

After converting to Classic as well as retaining cc/2015.x,  I see the new catalog next to the old one, but the old preview folders seem to have been renamed (not copied) to the new catalog name?  Is this normal?  Can both versions work off of the same previews folders? 

No, Lightroom Classic renamed the old preview folders and will reindex it for the new Lightroom version. If you keep using the old LR CC 2015, it will need to create a whole new preview database. It can work

Votes

Translate

Translate
Nov 06, 2017 Nov 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Califdan2,

The preview folder for both Lightroom 6 and classic would be different as they have different catalogs now, Also, since both apps can be run side-by-side, they must have different components.

Also, when opening the CC/2015.x version it warns tells me that his must be a backup copy of the catalog and as such syncing has been turned off.

This warning is shown as there will be an attempt to upgrade the catalog and for safety a backup is recommended to safeguard all your data. This will not impact your current or the upgraded catalog and will be saved along with the catalog folder(if location is not changed manually)

Your cloud space will not be impacted as swiching the syncing to a different catalog will replace all the synced images and will initiate a new sync process from the new upgraded catalog.

Hope that helps.

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 06, 2017 Nov 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Califdan2  wrote

Hi,

No, Lightroom Classic renamed the old preview folders and will reindex it for the new Lightroom version. If you keep using the old LR CC 2015, it will need to create a whole new preview database. It can work of the same images, but it can't use the same preview database.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines