• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Printing issue - what am I missing?

New Here ,
Mar 09, 2020 Mar 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently purchased an Epson SC P800 printer used.  I am trying to get comfortable printing directly from Lightroom as opposed to exporting and printing from a jpeg.  I am running Lightroom Classic 9.2 on a Mac running Catalina 10.15.2. 

My issue is that on screen I have an image set up for letter sized paper with the marked image size of 6.5 x 8.9 inches.  However, the image prints approximately 3.25 x 4.5.  I have toggled settings to see if that helps and so far it has not.

My settings are: Template - 1 Large with Stroke; Layout Style - Single Image/Contact Sheet; Image Settings - Rotate to fit and Stroke Border checked; Layout - Margins set at 1.00, Page Grid - rows and columns set to 1; Cell Size - set to 9.00 x 6.5; Guides - Show guides is checked with all five options checked; Page - nothing checked; Print Job - Print Resolution checked and set to 300 ppi, Print Sharpening checked with Standard selected, media type is matte, color management - the image is monochrome, profile is SC P800 Series Ultra Premium Presentation Matte, Intent - Perceptual is highlighted, Print Adjustment is checked with +20 on brightness and 0 on contrast.

the printer is set on presets: default settings. (I just tried saving current settings as a preset.  it did not make a difference); Layout is set to 1 page per sheet with no border; Printer Settings - media type is ultra premium presentation matte, Print Mode is Epson Precision Dot (just noticed there is an Advanced B&W print setting), Color Mode set to Epson Standard (sRGB), Output Resolution is set to SuperFine 1440 dpi, Finest Detail is the only item checked below that.

Please tell me what I am missing!  I have watched every  I have looked on several forums and have not found this specific problem solved.  

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 10, 2020 Mar 10, 2020

Hip-hip-hooray! Being tenacious helped you in this instance. The good news is that there is nothing wrong with your printer or your Lightroom :  ) And no–not really. You can control your print sizes with your Page Setup Settings and your Print Settings so there is not really a need to ever use scale to fit. Better for you to control the sizes.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Mar 10, 2020 Mar 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try toggling to another printer (any printer - even pdf) and then back  to the P800 to reset the settings. Make Sure that you are printing at 100% as the dimensions you are stating are at exactly 50%.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CMGAP

Thands for your note.  I am definitely at 100%.  I tried your suggestion.  I have two other printers: a small Canon Pixma MG8200 and a Brother laser for text.  I could not get it to print on the Canon because the printer insisted I was trying to print on 4 x 6 paper even though I had designated US letter in the page setup and print settings.  It did print on the Brother, but it is the same size, 3.25 x 4.50 oddly placed on a sheet of letter paper.  I can print accurately sized prints on the Epson by exporting a jpeg and printing it in Preview.  So somehow my Lightroom is communicating 4 x 6 to my printers.  Frustrating!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Frustrating indeed. I would confirm that the printer is using the most current  driver. It  is possible that  you have driver updates pending. Also I would shut down and restart the  printers to clear  out any settings.

For a test to see if it is Lr or the printer settings, you might try to printing from Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

good suggestions.  I have Photoshop but don't use it because it scares me.  I will try the other suggestions first.  back to you later this morning.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ps can be overwhelming - start by looking at the little tutorials in the app when you have time. In the meanwhile what we're trying to establish is whether you can reset all printer settings and where the problem of reducing your print output by 50% is coming from. The fact that it is the same result on other printers suggests that it is  the system print dialog settings not the application or the Epson.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK.  I updated the printer driver, although I am pretty sure I was replacing the same driver I had installed last week.  I cycled the printer power.  there was no change in the Lightroom print.  I edited it to the desired size in Ps, and it printed successfully at the correct size.  I saved that edit, when back to LR and printed it again. Again it came out at 50% of the desired size.  I really appreciate your help and suggestions.  I am clueless about what to try next.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good that it printed at the intended size in Ps... back in Lightroom can you not use a template. Select a completely different image > go to print > Page Setup > Paper Size: 4x6 (Sheet Feeder - Borderless) > 100%. Confirm that the image size is 4x6 with the ruler at the top of the image. Check the Layout panel > Margins: 0 > Cell Size 4x6. Check other printer settings and run a test print

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will try that later today.  I have a meeting shortly.  I was going to suggest going back to early Windows experience and uninstalling Lightroom Classic and then reinstalling it.  However, I was pretty sure that wouldn't change anything.........

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That seems drastic. I would remove and re-add the printer first. If you  can print a test of one image (any image) without using a template at 4x6 to any of your printers that will be progress in the right direction.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I (expletive deleted) found it!! with your guidance of course.  I tried what you suggested and the 4x6 printed perfectly.  I then tried to print the same image 5x7.  the image came out 4x6. not good.  So I clicked each dialog box under "Printer".  Under the "Paper Handling" area there was a check in the box "scale to fit paper size" and the size indicated was 4x6.  an "ah ha" moment.  So first I changed that paper size to 5x7 and the image printed perfectly at 5x7.  Then I unchecked that box and went back to my original image and changed the size to a random size and it printed exactly as I had specified.  So my last question for you who has been so helpful is Does that "scale to fit paper size" box ever need to have a check in it?  Thanks again for your patient help!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hip-hip-hooray! Being tenacious helped you in this instance. The good news is that there is nothing wrong with your printer or your Lightroom :  ) And no–not really. You can control your print sizes with your Page Setup Settings and your Print Settings so there is not really a need to ever use scale to fit. Better for you to control the sizes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks a million!!  I could not have done it without your guidance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines