• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

problem removing duplicates in a folder.

Explorer ,
Mar 25, 2021 Mar 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a large folder with with multiple subfolder. There are too many duplicates which I want to remove.

There is a program which I have been using for removing duplicates.  However it is not solving my problem.  The reason for this is that the duplicate photos are not in the subfolders but are present in the bigger folder. I have carefully gone through all of the subfolders and removed the duplicates in them. However there are still many duplicates to remove. If I use the duplicate program on the top level folder it will show all of the duplicates, but there is no way I can find which will show the location of the duplicates. I only wish to remove to duplicates that are lying all mixed up in the outer folder. I have tried to put these photos in a separate folder in the database, but Lightroom cannot see it and thus I cannot sort through them separately from the photos that I have already sorted out. I have thought of deleting the big folder from light room and then reimporting the folders one by one and then finally the random outer photos. Is that the way do solve the problem?   Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 26, 2021 Mar 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Only a suggestion-

If you were to use the Teekesselchen Duplicate Finder Plugin for Lightroom-Classic then-

1) you can add the Keyword "Duplicate" to all files that it finds that may be duplicates

2) Filter only for the KW "Duplicate"

3) Also set 'Expanded Cell Extras' to show the Folder location on the thumbnail border of each 'Duplicate' KW image.

You can then see all files with KW "Duplicate" and the Folder location on the Grid previews.

DUPLICATE FINDER Teekesselchen: Home

DUPLICATES CLEAN-UP

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wobert.  I don't know whether my reply to your post this morning reached
you. However I want to send a follow up.  I have followed your advice
and it is working perfectly. For me it is a break through after several
weeks of struggling with trying to remove the correct duplicates. I did
not understand how to label files and now am starting to learn more
about it., and I also did not know the subtleties of duplicate
identification. So it has been a great learning experience and a great
break through. Thanks indeed for your kind help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this reply (I do not accept private messages)

Just a final word of caution- 'Duplicate Finders' will show you files it suspects are 'Duplicates' -YOU still have to make the final decision as to which files you might want to delete. ie. Do not delete ALL files that show with the keyword "duplicate"!

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks    Well I have just removed 1900 photos from this one file..  I
will now try to inspect the battlefield!!

This is a great step forward.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 27, 2021 Mar 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Wobert

I feel I should give a less flippant reply to your last caution.When I worked on those 1900 duplicates I was not only looking to see that they were identical but also trying to decide which folder they rightly belonged in. If I came across a single photo listed as duplictate I removed the marking on it. I should add that I occasionally also came acrose pairs of photos that were both listed as duplicate and headed for removal. I accordingly decided which one should be kept. It was a laborious process deciding where the photos belonged, but it has greatly improved the file system, I am feeling very happy about it. I assume that if I find that something seems to be missing, I could always re import the photos from the data store and only photos missing from Lightroom would return.

Thanks for your great help

Sockit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines