• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Proper procedure for image transfers

Enthusiast ,
Jan 10, 2024 Jan 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to ensure I am following "best practises" when it comes to travel and image transfers.

My current workflow is to import my RAW images into a date folder, delete rejects and the images i want to keep are edited and then exported to a subfolder of the date folder called jpg Exports. I save the edited RAW images as jpg's primarily for email and posting Facebook.

When my trip is over, I select the applicabe date folders for the trip which also includes the jpg sub folders from each date folder. The resulting catalog is transfered to my home desktop PC where I import this new catalog and my images along with the edits are moved over.

In the past, I had an issue where the RAW and jpg images, once transfered, were all together in the date folder rather than the jpg images in the jpg Export folder. The advice I received here was  I should have selected in Preferences, "Treat JPEG files next to RAW files as separate files", on both laptop and desktop PC's. That has since been done.

Should this workflow ensure the transfered images appear in their appropriate folders? Am I missing anything?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 17, 2024 Jan 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Heirloom Bob,

This video is from 2013 but it is still relevant to your travel workflow: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=My10kpBxeB0

Regarding both file types in one folder you may find that using filters is extremely effective. In the filter bar at the top of the thumbnail grid preview you can select Text | Any Searchable Field | .jpg

Once you have your sorted jpgs you can select all, then create a subfolder for .jpgs and drag them into the folder.

If the option "Treat JPEG files next to RAW files as separate files" is not checked LrC imports the Raw+Jpeg as a "pair", with only the Raw file being available to edit. It will not put the jpgs in a subfolder. Hope that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 17, 2024 Jan 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

firstly: images will appear to be located in a given folder, that are really in a subfolder, depending on the option "Show Photos in subfolders".

However I can't follow why exports would be re-imported to the Catalog at all.

Next: did you use "Import" (of the files concerned) or Import from Another Catalog (merge), to bring the new photos and their edits into your main Catalog? If the former, this could be one explanation covering several consequences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines