• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Provision to add and/or display a story about a photo

New Here ,
Jul 03, 2024 Jul 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been asked many, many times to provide a story about a photo. Anything about why I took it, what I thought when I took it, where, when. Etc. 

Also, for personal, and family photos, that may be printed the context and meaning of the content of the photo may be lost. Think two generations down the road. A simple story, even one line, or the names of people in the photo would add a lot of meaning to family members two or three generations later.

This could be displayed below the photo. when printed near the info data. I'm not sure where to place it on an export.

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jul 09, 2024 Jul 09, 2024

Hey, @jeffn54. Welcome to the Lightroom Community. I've a quick suggestion for this.

In Lightroom Classic's Library Module, under the default view of Metadata, you can add a Title & Caption to your images. You can decide to include Title or Captions in the Print module from under Photo Info.

You can export with All Metadata & exclude specific metadata to keep the Title & caption included with the exported image.

Furthermore, you'll find the Title & Captions with the exported image'

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 09, 2024 Jul 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, @jeffn54. Welcome to the Lightroom Community. I've a quick suggestion for this.

In Lightroom Classic's Library Module, under the default view of Metadata, you can add a Title & Caption to your images. You can decide to include Title or Captions in the Print module from under Photo Info.

You can export with All Metadata & exclude specific metadata to keep the Title & caption included with the exported image.

Furthermore, you'll find the Title & Captions with the exported image's properties.

Let me know if this helps.
 Sameer K

(Use '@mention' to tag me when you reply)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 09, 2024 Jul 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the reply. I'll give it a try. I think it will work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 13, 2024 Jul 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First I want to thank Sameer and everyone else who sent a reply to my feature request. It took me a while to get back. I've been swamped. 

The Title and Caption in the metadata are great for Title and Caption. Yet, in the print module, only one item can be selected. Date xor Title xor Caption, (I'm a programer). Only one item can be placed in the area below the photo. I would like to have multiple lines under the photo. Yes, the Photo will be smaller, the more items I have. As an example, I want the date on line 1, line 2 would have shutter speed, aperture, and ISO, line 3 through n would have a story about the photo. As an example the name and relation of people in a photo. Or, what was I thinking and/or trying to capture with a landscape photo. The more lines in the story, the smaller the photo. This would a creative decision on the part of the photographer.

Of course, this would require integration and communication between the library module and the print module. Also for proper integration provisions need to be added to the export functionality.

I think this is more of a feature request than anything else. I'm not even sure if feature requests are even looked at by Adobe, or if this is the proper place to make them.

Once again, thanks to everyone who offer advice and help. Now I need to figure out how I can help others.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 13, 2024 Jul 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>The Title and Caption in the metadata are great for Title and Caption. Yet, in the print module, only one item can be selected. Date xor Title xor Caption, (I'm a programer). Only one item can be placed in the area below the photo. I would like to have multiple lines under the photo. 

But you can choose more than one item....

From Print's Photo Info drop down box, choose Edit:

johnbeardsworth_0-1720935828631.png

Here after pasting your text into the Caption in Library, I then chose Edit in the Photo Info box and added Caption and Filename which now display below the Photo. Line breaks can be entered with an Alt+Enter on Mac and Ctrl J on Windows (Alt+Enter may also work).

>Of course, this would require integration and communication between the library module and the print module.

As said, I'd pasted text into Caption in Library

>Also for proper integration provisions need to be added to the export functionality.

You can print to a file. In Print Job, choose:

johnbeardsworth_1-1720936193076.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 14, 2024 Jul 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As John above showed (which I missed on my first ready) you can actually select more than one tag  However, beware, the Photo Info lines are an overlay on the photo reducing the presented size of the photo. The more info you include, the less of the photo displayed.

What I do is use 'Slide' to create an image I can cut/paste onto a label place on the back of the print.

DS256_1-1720967657388.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Once again, thanks to everyone who offer advice and help. Now I need to figure out how I can help others.

By @jeffn54

You already are helping others, just by asking your question. I didn’t know it was an option to add a line break to a custom Photo Info setting in the Print module, and I only learned that now from john beardsworth’s reply to the question that you asked. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 10, 2024 Jul 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Enter it in the Title or preferably the Caption field in the Metadata panel. Other fields to consider would be Instructions or Source.

These can be printed.

Also, Ctrl S on PC and Cmd S on Mac will save the data back to the photo, making it available to anyone not using LR and examining the file .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 10, 2024 Jul 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you expect to write more than a couple of lines, you can switch the Metadata Set to Large Caption. This gives you a very large Caption field to write or paste text into.

Lightroom-Classic-Metadata-Set-Large-Caption.jpg

The Title and Caption fields are stored using the IPTC industry standard, which means if you include metadata in exported copies, or save metadata with the original as john beardsworth described, then the Title and Caption can be displayed in any other application or website that supports the IPTC standard.

For example, the text entered there can be automatically displayed on a website such as Flickr, and if you compose images on a page layout in Adobe InDesign it is possible to have image metadata you select (such as Caption/Description) automatically appear in a text frame that you position near the image. Some websites or apps may have a caption length limit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines