• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Lightroom encountered and error when reading from its preview cache and needs to quit"

Community Beginner ,
Oct 02, 2013 Oct 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I keep receiving this error every time I open LR, "Lightroom encountered and error when reading from its preview cache and needs to quit" and the app won't open. It said LR would try and fix this error next time I opened it but the error remains. I tried uninstalled and installing the app and the error remains.

Any Ideas here? Is there another app that may be telling it where to look for the cache and it no longer there? I was using a ramdisk for a bit but ditched it. Not sure if that has something to do with it but it seems suspect.

Your thoughts?

--Kenny Brandon Wilson

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Oct 02, 2013 Oct 02, 2013

You need to delete the Preview Cache.

It is located in the same folder as the Lightroom Catalog. The preview cache name ends with Previews.LRDATA and should be deleted. Do not confuse this with *.LRCAT, which should not be deleted.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Nov 16, 2014 Nov 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot! Worked just fine and LR starts up again.

LR5 on Win 8.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Feb 08, 2015 Feb 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi!

where do i find the catalog folder?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 22, 2015 Mar 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you ...fixed. After I tried to retrieve backup files all of the sudden this happen but I'm glad I found your post.  Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 11, 2015 May 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the exact same issue.

This started after I backed up my catalog to the same drive. I have changed the Lightroom 5 Preferences.agprefs to Lightroom 5 Preferences.agprefs OLD as was mentioned. Opened at least 10 times and still having the exact same issue.  I have gone round and round with your tech support before with a different issue related to your software and am not about to go through hours on end again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 07, 2015 Jun 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you DJ_Paige!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 08, 2015 Jun 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did it and it didn't correct my issue. Dam. I'll running windows 8 if that makes any deferent’s.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 29, 2015 Aug 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is not a file but a folder of almost 13GB. Do I need to delete this complete folder ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 01, 2016 Apr 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too have struggled with this issue.  I had all my photos and my catalog on an external drive.  Deleting the preview cache did not fix the problem.  So this week I moved my Lightroom folder (lightroom catalog, previews, etc.) onto my laptop's hard drive.  Have not had a problem since. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 26, 2016 Apr 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

not working!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 27, 2016 Oct 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

popsp3520164 wrote:

not working!!!!

Could you give us some details?

Did you try the solutions that were already discussed in this thread?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 06, 2017 Apr 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. I tried renaming the file to "Lightroom 5 Preferences.agprefsOLD",however that didn't work. It actually created a second file with the same name and didn't resolve the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 07, 2017 Apr 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The advice was to delete the subfolder whose name ends with Previews.LRDATA, as explained in reply #2 of this thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 08, 2017 Apr 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried all of the solutions in this thread and I continue to get this error.  I can get Lightroom to open but while I am using it the error dialogue box pops up and Lightroom closes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have deleted the subfolder whose name ends with Previews.LRDATA and Lightroom opens and then subsequently gives this error, then I would say you have a malfunctioning hard disk, which is causing corruption of the Previews. So I would definitely run diagnostics on your hard disk to see if any problems are found; and probably you will need to replace it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had seen that in another thread and ran check disk with no errors.  I just recently developed this issue after using Lightroom for a couple of days.  I just recently subscribed and installed it.  I have since reinstalled lightroom and tried all of the fixes I have found, nothing seems to work.  I am thinking it is an Adobe problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 19, 2018 May 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

I have the same problem about the "Lightroom encountered and error when reading from its preview cache and needs to quit". I have no problems in launching Lightroom, the problem is that as soon as I start to work on a photo, after a while the same message pops up again. Every single time I have to delete the Preview Cache (Previews.LRDATA) but everytime I re-launch Lightroom, after a couple of photos, it gives the same problem over and over, so now I have this problem that I don't know how to solve. Could you please help me in any way?

Thanks,

Best wishes

Francesco.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 19, 2018 May 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your hard disk is having problems. Run diagnostics on your hard disk. Most likely, it needs to be replaced.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 24, 2018 Jun 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At the risk of spamming.....

Hi, I've had exactly the same problem. I went through the usual advice, to no avail. I uninstalled Lightroom and manually deleted every file relating to Lightroom on my HDD. Again, no good. So, I went to use PS and ACR. No problem, until it came to "save as". I then got an error message which led me to this post I went to windows defender (win 10)...

Start> Settings> Windows Defender> OPen Windows Defender Security Centre> Virus & threat protection> Virus & threat protection settings> Controlled folder acess> Allow an app through controlled folder access.

And added PS, Bridge and Lightroom to the list. All errors solved!

Hopefully that's been of help to someone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 09, 2017 May 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I imported some small catalogs into 1 master catalog and am having this problem.

I have deleted ALL .LRDATA folders on my system.

Renamed the Preferences.agprefs to agprfes.old.

I ran a test on the hard drive - runs clean.

Windows 7 and LR 5.7.1

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 11, 2017 Jun 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I encountered the same error, but due to a different cause, which required a different solution: My cloud backup program scans for file changes in real time and immediately uploads changed files to storage. The problem is that this will lock the files during scan and upload, which effectively blocks Lightroom from reading the file until the backup is done.

Solution: Exclude the folder "Lightroom Catalog Previews.lrdata" from the backup.

Security wise, to exclude the folder from backup isn't critical. After all, the content isn't essential as it will be rebuilt if lost.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 16, 2017 Oct 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AHA!!! This is my solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 20, 2017 Nov 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For any others still having issues with this, I had to delete the actual folders that the previews are located in the previews themselves was not enough.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 17, 2017 Dec 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too was having this problem, and it was a recent issue.  Mine ended up with the same issue as "inshadow" where my cloud backup program was getting a temporary exclusive lock on the preview and causing this issue.  Going into crashplan and Google "Backup and and Sync" and excluding ".lrprev" files from it's coverage finally cured this issue (which the "preferences deletion" and the "LR preview deletion" had not).  It had got better when I added the exclusion for crashplan, but didn't go away completely until I added the exclusion to Google Backup and Sync.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 12, 2018 Aug 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had the cache problem before and fixed it by deleting previews.irdata. This time it hasn't worked and LR will not open, the error appears immediately and I've also tried deleting the whole catalogue folder. As suggested in one of these posts I've renamed Preferences.agprefs to Preferences.agprefsOLD but this had no effect. I am closing LR and restarting my PC each time I try a fix. It also mentioned on here it could be a hard drive issue but I've run Windows error checking via the drives Properties, Tools and Check and no issues have been found. Any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 12, 2018 Aug 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure sounds like a hard drive problem to me. Sometimes the Windows error checker doesn't catch it.

If you have a different hard drive, then use your operating system and copy the catalog file (name end with .LRCAT) to a different drive, and then double-click on it to open it. Does the problem go away?

Also, you should be making regular and automated backups of your catalog file ​to a different physical disk​. If you haven't been doing this, NOW is the time to do so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines