• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RAW files missing from LR Classic folder?

Explorer ,
Apr 20, 2019 Apr 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm experiencing a curious glitch in LR Classic. A folder I created some time ago, and imported photos to from my external HDD, as usual, is only showing 17 video files, of around 2.5k photos that it contains (mainly RAWs). When I check the HDD, the files are all there. When I try to import again directly to the folder within LR, it knows they are there and says they are all duplicates - nothing to import. So why aren't they showing up? There don't seem to be any filters applied in the library module. When I first imported there was no problem, and I happily viewed, flagged/rated/edited these files. Now, I did do a big folder restructure about 3 weeks ago, which is probably where something went pear shaped - but I don't seem to have any issues with any other folders. I painstakingly updated the locations of all folders after I'd done the restructure, including this one. Since then I've tried re-importing, updating the folder location, synchronising it, I think I even tried removing and re-importing the whole thing. Nada.

Any ideas?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Apr 20, 2019 Apr 20, 2019

sshoults  wrote

I'm experiencing a curious glitch in LR Classic. A folder I created some time ago, and imported photos to from my external HDD, as usual, is only showing 17 video files, of around 2.5k photos that it contains (mainly RAWs). When I check the HDD, the files are all there. When I try to import again directly to the folder within LR, it knows they are there and says they are all duplicates - nothing to import. So why aren't they showing up?

You have accidentally imported the photos in

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Apr 20, 2019 Apr 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sshoults  wrote

I'm experiencing a curious glitch in LR Classic. A folder I created some time ago, and imported photos to from my external HDD, as usual, is only showing 17 video files, of around 2.5k photos that it contains (mainly RAWs). When I check the HDD, the files are all there. When I try to import again directly to the folder within LR, it knows they are there and says they are all duplicates - nothing to import. So why aren't they showing up?

You have accidentally imported the photos into a different folder using the COPY, that's why Lightroom thinks they are duplicates. You need to find the photos in the Lightroom Library Module, by follow all four (not one or two or three, but all four) of these steps.

1.   In the Lightroom Library Module, on the left, under Catalog, click on All Photographs

2.   Turn off all filters (Ctrl-L once or twice)

3.   Turn off all stacking (Photo->Stacking->Expand All Stacks)

4.   Search for at least one of these photos by file name using the Lightroom Filter Bar

Once you find them, we can explain how to fix the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 12, 2019 Aug 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I found how to locate the 1 image I searched for and is in it's right place now. so I don't see the answer as to how to correct for hundreds of images?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 12, 2019 Aug 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Before I provide additional instructions, please explain in detail your situation and what you found.

Have you imported the photos twice, and so the above search shows two (or more) copies of a specific photo?

or did LR not let you import the photos because they were already imported, and so the above search shows only 1 copy of a specific photo?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 13, 2019 Aug 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry I'm late in responding- Had to throw in the towel for a spell.

I have not imported twice. I have copied everything from a drive I no longer have connected to a new drive. Everything is in the folders on the new drive, but the RAW files do not show in Lightroom. The catalog was not moved, it is and has always been in my Pictures folder on the HardDrive. I have tried "synchronize folders" over and over and it says there no photos to sync.

See screen shot. I have used Lightroom Classic trouble free for years.

Thank you for any help.

Screen Shot 2019-08-13 at 4.55.07 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 13, 2019 Aug 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will have a 'stab' at an answer. From your screen-clip, and unless I do not understand Mac file systems:

The photos shown in the Lr Grid are in  Device-Photos / Photos / 2012 Road Trip / Burning Man

The photos shown in Finder are in-  Device-Photos / 2012 Road Trip / Burning Man

Note the different folder location.

I suggest the explanations from @dj_paige re "copy" to another folder may be correct.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.4, Photoshop 25.9.1, ACR 16.4, Lightroom 7.4, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.1.1, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 18, 2019 Aug 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was the parent folder you are seeing, it's the same folder  not any different than the- Photos/2102 Road trip/ burningMan

Thanks anyway

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 14, 2019 Aug 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sop the photos are in Lightroom (because you found them in Lightroom in a different folder than you expect them to be in), and so they don't show in the folder that you expect them to be in. Is this correct?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 16, 2019 Aug 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, they are in the folder they are suppoed to be in, they just don't show in Lightroom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 16, 2019 Aug 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They must be in some other folder in Lightroom. I thought you followed the four step procedure above and found one of these files in Lightroom. Is that correct, or not?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I followed the 4 steps above and can make 1 image I searched for show in the Lightroom folder on the new Hard Drive. To find the missing image I chose it from the new hard drive folder. Not somewhere else.

The original external HardDrive, which is off line shows a preview of the missing images and shows image is missing (? icon). (Yes I know that is the right way it should look, because it's off line)

Many images are missing in almost all of the folders in Lightroom, they ARE in the proper folders on the NEW External Hard Drive.

Lets, just forget about it. Someday some way I'll figure it out. Thanks anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think figured it out. I had to reimport (add) by choosing import - add   from the Photos - 2012 Road trip - Burning Man  to same folder!

what's weird is why would all my jpgs from my original transfer show, but not the RAW files? Will then re sync and see if they are really showing in Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines