RAW files Skipping ACR and going straight to PS form LRC

New Here ,
Jun 11, 2022 Jun 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello All,

When choosing:
EDIT IN --> EDIT IN ADOBE PHOTOSHOP 2022

my Fujifilm .raf files are going directly to PS and not ACR.

The pit stop at ACR is preferred.

Double-clicking the .raf files from the Finder launches ACR, but it would be nice to have this happen from inside LRC as it has in the past. 

I'm using: Lightroom Classic 10.4 + Photoshop: 23.2.2 + Fujifilm 100X V

Any help appreciated.

David

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you use "Edit in PS" from LrC using a Raw file, the data is passed from LrC to PS via ACR, i.e. ACR has to be used as PS cannot directly process raw files. It just happens under the covers, but ACR is definitely used to render the Raw file into RGB format for PS to process. Don't be misled by the original raw file extension showing in PS once the image has been opened, until the image is saved in PS it only exists in the system cache, thus doesn't yet have the appropraite TIF/PSD file extension.

I believe if you Open as Smart Object it is then possible to invoke ACR directly from within PS, but other than that the ACR UI is not seen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is as expected, when you are using the “edit in PS” option to send a raw image to send for further editing to PS the application boots and uses ACR plug-in to render the file with the edits you have done in LrC.

You can use edit a smart object in PS then you can open ACR from PS.

PS. Jim beat me to it.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jim,

Thanks for your reply.

Good to know about the *under the cover* function...

However, even choosing *Open as Smart Object PS* still just opens the file in PS, not ACR.

d

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just re-read the last line of yr reply.
So do I understand correctly, that now there is no way to send a file directly to ACR from LrC and have it open in the ACR interface?

d

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure of the exact process, but you open ACR from within PS, i.e. AFTER the file has been transferred to PS. Someone will be along to explain that process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

quoteSo do I understand correctly, that now there is no way to send a file directly to ACR from LrC and have it open in the ACR interface?

That's correct....but IIRC it has always been that way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got it.

So how does one shoot the file to ARC from PS?

Not finding an *Open in ARC* or *Export to ARC* option.

d

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK. I guess I was imagining the files heading into ARC from LrC...

Thanks for the clarification!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Double-click on the Smart Object thumbnail in the Layers panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got it. It's under *Filter*.

d

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"Got it. It's under *Filter*."

NO. It is NOT.!

The "Filter" is only a sub-set of the ACR functions that are working on a rendered RGB version of the image in a Photoshop 'Document'. (NOT the raw data!)

As stated above - If you send a file from Lightroom-Classic to Photoshop AND you want to also access ACR (on the raw data), then you-

1) [Open as Smart Object] in the menu of LrC

Rob_Cullen_0-1654993055666.png

2 [Double-Click] on the Smart Object BADGE in the Layer thumbnail

Rob_Cullen_1-1654993193675.png

There is rarely a reason to want ACR to open- IF you do most of your raw editing in the LrC Development module. The Develop module IS ACR! in a different UI.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines