• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

renaming files makes a RAW copy to my hard drive????

New Here ,
Jul 01, 2022 Jul 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I store on my photos on an externaal hard drive.  When I'm in Lightroom library, when i use the rename file option, it creates a new file on my external hard drive with the new name.  Lightroom "experts" tell me this is impossible and my LR is messed up.  I don't want a second copy of the raw file on my external hard drive.  Is this possible to correct?

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you provide an example of what you are renaming the file to?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are my steps (files already imported into LR):   1) highlight the photo 2) go to library in top menu 3) scroll down to rename photo 4) pick my file naming option / write custom text 5) click ok 6) it creates a copy on my external hard drive with the new name

290331291_10104818317340290_9209117302833515753_n.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From this screen capture, how can we tell this is a new file, a copy of the original? How do you know it is not the renamed file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You know what?  Thank you for that reply .... You're right, that is the original file with the new name.  I went back and looked and realized exactly what you were saying.  I just assumed it was a new file, I didn't look back to see if the old file was still there.  DUH.  I feel so silly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you importing photos when this happens?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no the files are already imported into my lr catalog

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines