Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Screen luminosity for editing/printing

Enthusiast ,
Jan 14, 2023 Jan 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys,

When Apple still offered their in-store one-to-one program, I used to sit with one of their "creatives" to help me with Aperture - Apple's defunct editing program. The one thing I was told, and still follow, was that Apple designs its screens, or monitors, to be used at full luminosity. And that's how I've set my screen up for years, ln particular for editing/printing. In fact, that's what I'm mosy confortable with.

Now,  museum quality paper and inks are expensive and so are test prints. Is there a bible on the matter? And what does it say about screen luminosity for regular viewing/editing/making prints (besides the fact that for some it may be a personal matter, a discussion I prefer not to enter)?

Thanks a lot.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 14, 2023 Jan 14, 2023

Hi guys,

When Apple still offered their in-store one-to-one program, I used to sit with one of their "creatives" to help me with Aperture - Apple's defunct editing program. The one thing I was told, and still follow, was that Apple designs its screens, or monitors, to be used at full luminosity. And that's how I've set my screen up for years, ln particular for editing/printing. In fact, that's what I'm mosy confortable with.

By @raphaels28255986

In the Aperture era about 20 years ago, displa

Votes

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast ,
Feb 11, 2023 Feb 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much DigitalDog for providing links to your detailed presentation. It is detailed, logical and based on experience (trial and error) and common sense; it also allows for predictable variations and opportunities to reduce their recurrence and intensities. I am not very good at technology but I am good at logic and ... followed your presentation to the end with great interest. The summing up ant the end is a stroke of genius. Naturally, I am going to have to watch your video a few times to get it straight (when I get back from France).  I have to replace my Macbook from mid-2012, with their new model and hope there will be enough options to calibrate the display. I will also buy the lamp you suggest for viewing and calibrating - does it have to be enclosed inside a box? (I'd use a corrugated paper box) 

Talk again soon, I am sure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A viewing booth doesn't have to be enclosed. The most important attribute is control over the light not spilling on the display. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again DigitalDog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines