• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Select Person Mask doesn't always find a person

Community Beginner ,
Oct 27, 2022 Oct 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select Person in masking is a great addition, but I have a problem. I have photos where it doesn't always work. If the person isn't the main subject or is wearing glasses then the person isn't always found. Similarly, if the person isn't a prominent feature in the photograph but the face is clearly visible then that person isn't found either.

I have examples.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think both examples are as expected. The people recognition is meant to touch up portraits, where there is enough detail in the face to separately select things like pupils, eye sclera, lips, etcetera. In these photos the face is way too small to do that (and probably also way too small to try to make meaningful changes to these facial features).

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 28, 2022 Oct 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, but I don't agree. If you have an option called "Select Person" then it should do at least that even if it can't identify individual features.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, and then people come here to complain that Lightroom does select the person, but does not allow them to select facial features... What would be the difference with the object selection tool in that situation?

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There would be none, but at least Select Person would actually select a person...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 29, 2022 Oct 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The new object selection tool also allows you to easily select a person...

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, but that isn't my point. If you have a photo with a person in it, which everyone would agree there is in my photos, then it's not unreasonable to expect something called 'Select Person' would select that person and not say no person detected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It all depends on the size of the person. If the person is too small, it won't be recognised. That is perfectly reasonable. So Adobe decided that if the person is too small to use the new facial feature masks, it should not be recognised. I think that is also reasonable, you don't. We can discuss this forever, but I am not going to do that. Let's agree that we disagree, and use the object selection tool.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If it was called Select Facial Feature Masks then I wouldn't have any issue with this. But it isn't, it's called Select Person. Anyway, as you say, we aren't going to agree on this so I'll leave it there and move on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In cases like this you can try a different strategy.

Example Woman in Car

1.  Crop tightly on the woman
  2.  Use Object Select
  3.  Drag Marquee around the woman only. 
  4.  Reset the crop

Makes a nice tight mask - unfortunately you don't get the feature of the face as individual masks

If you use Lightroom Desktop, it allows you to submit feedback via the App, and include the offending image. Unfortunately that mechanism doesn't exist in Classic as the images are not necessarily synced to the cloud. 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like the OP, LRC 12 can’t seem to find people in my photos. I’ve checked all of my settings and it does not appear to me that anything out of the ordinary is checked or unchecked.  I’m using an old Dell desktop; it uses a 6th-generation Intel i7 processor, 500GB NVMe.2 SSD with a Nvidia GeForce GT 730 graphics card with 2GB of onboard RAM. I’ve tried turning the GPU on and off and it doesn’t seem to matter. The other options (i.e. Background, Sky, and Subject) seem to be working fine.

And when I pull in a landscape image, it searches and comes back and tells me “No People Found”. When I searched using an Adobe stock photo (AdobeStock_522260066.jpeg), it searches for a half of a second or so and doesn’t show anything!

In another forum, another individual had a similar problem with a different photo in LRC and tried the photo in ACR and it found the people!  I posted the picture I used on the forum and other LRC 12 users were able to detect the people (both Windows and Mac).  I loaded the picture in PS and ACR. While in PS, I checked for GPU compatibility it said everything was good. The picture didn’t work in ACR there either. ACR gave me an error message, however, “Unable to load AI selection model.” I then uninstalled and reinstalled both PS and LR. Still the same problem.  Any help or guidance would be appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't think this is the correct answer. I understand that it won't detect individual features, but it desn't even select the person. If you have an option to Select Person then I think it should do at least that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines