Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Serial number already in use on old computer

New Here ,
Nov 08, 2022 Nov 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I used to have Lightroom 4 on an old Windows computer and now I would like to use the same serial number on a new Mac. When I try to activate the product I get an error message saying that it's already in use. The old computer is wiped clean and does not have Lightroom anymore so I can't deactivate it myself. When I read similar issues in the community they often tell people to contact customer support, but when I asked them to remove the activation for me they said they couldn't do it and that I needed to post a question here.
Please help!

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There was no activation check for Lightroom 4. Even though the license says you can use it on 2 computers at a time, there was no checking that enforced this.

Perhaps you mean Lightroom 6?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 09, 2022 Nov 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I mean Lightroom 4. I get the error when trying to register the product. I recieved an email address to customer care so I will try to email them for help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I might have formulated the question wrong, It's when registering the product (but it's already registered for Windows), I want to register it anew but I can't remove the registration myself

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom 4 is old and no longer supported, and won't even work on a newer Mac (anything after 10.14 Mojave.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom 4......... won't even work on a newer Mac (anything after 10.14 Mojave.)

That's not true. You can install and run Lightroom 4 on Monterey (I know that for a fact, as I recently installed it just to check). Don't know about Ventura yet, but I wouldn't be surprised to find it's OK.

I think a lot of people assume that because Lightroom 6 cannot be installed on current MacOS systems (Catalina onwards), then LR4/5 also can't be installed. The difference is that LR6 has an activation process, and it's the activation code which appears to be 32bit and thus prevents it being installed on the 64bit-only MacOS versions. LR4 and 5 do not have that code, so they install OK. They also run OK, though no doubt there'll be some bits that are broken, e.g. Maps, but they do appear to be perfectly viable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes Jim, I can confirm that. I had Lr 5 and Lr 4 installed previously on my existing iMac and I had retained an installer for Lr 5 and the serial numbers for 5 and 4.

The installation was trouble free and there was no need to re-enter the serial numbers due to the earlier installation.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the reply, it's good to know that Lightroom 4 works with new Macs. I recieved an email address to customer care so I will try to get further help there. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines