• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Should Lightroom import settings from disk or overwrite disk settings from the catalog

Participant ,
Mar 31, 2011 Mar 31, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When the 'up' arrow appears in a thumbnail and comes up with the message:

The metadata for one or more of these photos has been changed by another application. Should Lightroom import settings from disk or overwrite disk settings with those from the catalog?

What exactly does that mean?  This seems to happen every time I export an image to PS (CS5) and return to LR.  What exactly has changed?  What settings are being imported if I choose 'import settings from disk'.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

People's Champ , Apr 01, 2011 Apr 01, 2011

I think it would be better not to think in terms of that LR "applies" edits. Since LR stores changes in the catalog, the changes are "applied" to the image only on Export. I think it wouldbe better to use the term "display" instead of "apply".

So then: When from LR you open a RAW image in PS the LR-edits done up to then are displayed in PS and then "applied" when you save from PS (remember PS CS5 opens the RAW image).

If you do more edits in PS and save these, LR will display these edits - you wil

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Apr 06, 2023 Apr 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I always use import settings from disk.  What I'd like to know is, is there any way to simply default to that answer without constantly waiting for LR to ask me? Sometimes it's quick, but often I wait 15 seconds for the question to show up, maybe more.  Very irritating when the answer is always the same in my workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 06, 2023 Apr 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The answer to your specific question is no.

BTW, You have added a question to an unrelated thread from 2011.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines