• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Slideshow creates 70 GByte in Velo folder and Lightroom crashes

Engaged ,
Dec 24, 2019 Dec 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again, slideshow creating mp4 video has a problem.

I want to create a slideshow, and it blows up the Velo folder up to 70 GByte -I do not have more space, and then it crashes. What is happening there: 70 GByte for a mp4 video? How can Relocate that Velo folder?

{Thread renamed by moderator}

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 25, 2019 Dec 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about Lightroom crashing, could you please let us know the version of Lightroom and the operating system you're working on?

Have you tried turning off the GPU option from Lightroom's preferences? Go to Lightroom > Preferences > Performance tab > Uncheck "Use Graphics Processor" > Restart Lightroom.

Let us know if it helps.
Regards,
Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Dec 27, 2019 Dec 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sahil,
I probably post this answer again as a hint:
The problem with generating slideshows in LR is, that LR creates enormous amount of cache data - in my case LR created close to a 100 Gbyte for a 10 Gbyte video, made from 600 slides and 100 clips. I freed 70 Gbyte on my small SSD, but that was not enough to let LR create that slideshow.
LR seems to have a dedicated cache for slideshows: (this all relates to Win10)
C:\Users\XXX\AppData\Local\Adobe\Lightroom\Caches\velo
There are also the video cache in Cache.

LR does not have a setting to re-locate that “velo” cache. So, if the C drive is too small, then there is no slideshow. So I thought.
But then I discovered the mklink command. It has to be executed as admin within the win command line editor. Then it will allow the velo cache to be redirected to any other disk with enough space (this works for all caches). This is of course not good for daily work, where one wants the cache to sit on the SSD for speed, but for special cases it might be useful.

It goes like that:
First rename or delete the old “velo” folder (=velo1)
Then create a new “velo” folder on another drive (W in my example)
Then run
mklink /j C:\Users\XXX\AppData\Local\Adobe\Lightroom\Caches\velo W:\velo
from a command terminal. XXX stand for the actual user.
Done. From now on all files that are send to “velo” end up in the new “velo” destination.
Windows may have created a new user name for you with you knowing, so you might not be aware under which username you should look. Try the free software TreeSize to check folder sizes and you will find the Adobe caches for sure and probably be surprised and ask yourself if Adobe want to sell hard-disks too…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines