• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Sony camera serial number not recognized during import rename

Participant ,
Feb 01, 2020 Feb 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I normally use the EXIF {serial number} value found in [Import] >  [Rename files] > [Custom settings] > [edit] > [Filename template editor].  This value is populated for every other brand of camera I have used (Fuji, Panasonic, Olympus, Canon, Nikon) but not for Sony.  ExifTool.exe shows the serial numbers are all located in the same "Internal Serial Number" EXIF field in the raw image data on all the cameras including the Sony.

Why does Lightroom not recognize the Sony serial number during the rename process?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 01, 2020 Feb 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Curious, does this also fail post import. What happens if you rename the photo(s) ftom the Library module?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 02, 2020 Feb 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it also fails after import when renaming within the library module.

capture_005_02022020_160926.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Problem may be about just exactly where do different v=cameras store the serial number in the metadata, vs where Lightroom Classic expects it to be, serial number, internal serial number, etc. I doubt Sony does not include it somewhere, after all that is useful to find stolen gear via metadata (if thief is stupid enough to not strip, or buyer of stolen property is unaware) see in part: https://www.lightroomqueen.com/community/threads/is-there-any-way-to-see-my-camera-serial-number-in-...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Odd, keep googling on metadata serial number sony, and results keep indicating sony does not include serial number in exif data

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Sony serial number is definitely in the EXIF data.  I can see it in the "Internal Serial Number" field.  ExifTool and Jeffrey Friedl's “Metadata Viewer” Lightroom Plugin (also based on ExifTool) both report the serial number values in the raw Sony image files.  Other camera brands have their serial number value in the same EXIF field and Lightroom is able to read it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And perhaps lightroom classic in that filename syntax you want to use is looking to the metadata field "serial number", not the seperate metadata field "internal serial number"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom can read the "Internal Serial Number" field.  It prefers "Serial Number" over "Internal Serial Number" if both are present.

These are specific EXIF examples I have checked:

Sony 7RM3:  Only "Internal Serial Number" is populated.  Lightroom shows nothing.

Panasonic G9:  Only "Internal Serial Number" is populated.  Lightroom uses "Internal Serial Number".

Fuji X-H1: "Internal Serial Number" and "Serial Number" are both populated but have different values.  Lightroom renames using "Serial Number".

Olympus OM-D E-M1 II:  "Internal Serial Number" and "Serial Number" are both populated but have different values.  Lightroom renames using "Serial Number".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 29, 2022 Apr 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jbinco, I have recently found out about this problem as well. I have an array of 120 Sony A73 cameras and I need to color correct each image based on serial number. But I can't find a way to apply a single preset to and individual camera. Did you ever find any work arounds for the serial number problem with Sony and Lightroom?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 18, 2022 May 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I upgraded to newer cameras which I doubt is a near term solution for your large fleet.  The a7RM4 logs its serial number in the SerialNumber EXIF tag which Lightroom recognizes and displays as "Camera Serial Number".  The older model a7RM3 and a7M3 only log the body serial number in EXIF MakerNotes as InternalSerialNumber.  Lightroom still does not recognize that tag.  I never found any workaround within Lightroom itself.  You can use exiftool to access that tag in the a7M3 files.  So you could, in theory, write your own script to rename using the serial number prior to importing into your catalog.  Definitely a PITA.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines