• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Sony RX100 VI raw file support?

New Here ,
Jul 17, 2018 Jul 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When will Lightroom Classic support raw files from Sony RX100 VI?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Aug 22, 2018 Aug 22, 2018

Hi All,

We're happy to announce the release of Lightroom Classic CC 7.5 & Lightroom CC 1.5.

This update includes the support for Sony RX100 VI (DSC-RX100M6) camera.

Here's the list of what's new in this release:

Lightroom Classic CC 7.5: New features summary for the October 2017 and later releases of Lightroom Classic CC

Lightroom CC 1.5: New features summary for the October 2017 and later releases of Lightroom CC across devices

Let us know if the update resolves the problem for those affected and sh

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only definitive answer you can depend on is, "When Adobe releases a Lightroom update that supports that model." That kind of information has never been released in advance. Anyone who might know the answer would be under obligation not to divulge it. But hopefully it will be part of the next Lightroom update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To build on Jim's reply, from Re: Sony RX100 M6 raw files - LR 7.4 does not read :

Historically, most new Sony cameras (69%) get supported by LR in the release following the cameras' announcements, and the rest get supported in the next release after that. But the RX100 VI was announced June 5, just two weeks before LR 7.4 was released, and Adobe probably didn't even have its hands on the camera yet.  So almost certainly LR 7.5 will support the camera.  Adobe releases new versions of LR every 8 weeks on average, so we might see LR 7.5 mid-August. See here for details: Re: Timing of Lightroom releases

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 08, 2018 Aug 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's August 8th. When can we expect it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 08, 2018 Aug 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As stated: "Adobe releases new versions of LR every 8 weeks on average, so we might see LR 7.5 mid-August."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 12, 2018 Aug 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too am eagerly awaiting this RAW import utility. Given the publicity of the release of the RX1000 VI, I would have thought that Sony and Adobe would have worked this out by now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 12, 2018 Aug 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To Sony and Nikon and Canon and every other camera manufacturer, Adobe is just another company. None of them make any special effort to work with Adobe. Any support that Adobe provides for any camera is all up to Adobe. Considering past performance, the next update of Lightroom should be forthcoming. Just be patient.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 13, 2018 Aug 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You say, "Adobe is just another company." No it is not. For image processing it is a monopoly. But I am not complaining. They are a monopoly because of their quality software, and more personally, the only place I have have been able to effectively use RAW tools for great image production.

Who else in this space is "just another company"?

I just want the import capability.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe is “just another company” in relation to Sony and other camera manufacturers, meaning Adobe is not so special and depended upon by the manufacturers that they would coordinate release schedules, holding up camera sales several weeks or months just make sure Lightroom has support from day one.  The exception are manufacturers who bundle LR with their cameras and don't produce their own raw-processing software.

Furthermore, the camera manufacturers' are generally headquartered in Japan with manufacturing facilities there or elsewhere on the same side of the Pacific.  Adobe is headquartered in the US, mainly on the coasts, with support in India, so production hardware isn't going to be available informally over lunch like it might be if both companies were located nearer each other and personnel coordinated tee-times or tea-times.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting and supposedly well informed response! When do you anticipate that I will be able to process ARW files in LR?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...and I asked the question, "Who else in this space is "just another company"? Who is their closest competitor for RAW file editors? I am willing to consider new apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the support sites on the subject, seriously.

But we're all still waiting, and I'm not the only one. I feel better. 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The sad thing is that Adobe invented the DNG format to avoid this exact scenario - waiting for updates.

All camera makers need to do is include a Save to DNG setting (alongside Raw and JPG) in their cameras. You could then open and edit the DNGs from your brand new camera without having to update your software.

Unfortunately most camera makers have ignored this option forcing software vendors to update their Raw support for every new camera - and release periodic updates. Consumers are therefore forced to wait for the updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We get it. DNG should be the standard. But Sony does not agree.

What to do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

... this is Betamax versus VHS all over again. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But much much worse, and much more complicated. The sad part of it is that it doesn't need to be. I don't recall seeing any arguments over which raw format is superior. I have worked with raw formats from the various different manufacturers, and I can't say that I prefer one over the other. It really doesn't matter to me. And I haven't been able to see any problems with DNG files. But I doubt you will ever see in standardization. That would make too much sense.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ask the viewing community: What does RAW definition mean? To me it is Nikon NEF from long and successful experience. Now with a new Sony camera, ARW, but I have not edited images in this space yet. I seem to be in a whole new universe.

Help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Raw means a straight dump of the data off the camera sensor. It isn't a space, because raw files have not yet been converted to a RGB color space. It isn't a format, because (other than DNG) there is no single raw format, a Nikon sensor dumps its raw data in a different way than a Sony sensor.

NEF isn't even a raw format. It’s just a file extension Nikon attached to the filenames of the various raw files produced by their digital cameras, but not just that. Years ago, before digital cameras, Nikon used NEF as the file extension for files saved by the Nikon software that ran their CoolScan film scanners. So there are NEF files out there that are TIFF-based film scans, not raw files from a digital camera.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, Mister smartypants Conrad. How do you import RAW files from Sony M6 or Nikon for editing? What is your secret solution for what I want to do which is import any RAW file for editing? What is your answer at this point? Give us your supreme solution... This is what we are all waiting for.

You are waiting like the rest of us are. Ugh.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

markh70572730  wrote

Okay, Mister smartypants Conrad. How do you import RAW files from Sony M6 or Nikon for editing? What is your secret solution for what I want to do which is import any RAW file for editing? What is your answer at this point? Give us your supreme solution... This is what we are all waiting for.

I thought I was answering your question about what raw means.

We've already talked about how to import the raw files from newer cameras…yes, we just wait until the application updates are released. That's the only answer there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good grief! You asked the question what raw means, and Conrad was trying to explain that. That's all. No magical solution for editing the raw files from your new camera. The magical solution for that is to simply wait for the next update of Lightroom, hopefully.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Aug 14, 2018 Aug 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

markh70572730  wrote

You are waiting like the rest of us are. Ugh.

What the rest of us are doing is using the free Raw conversion software supplied by the maker, Sony Imaging Edge, Nikon Capture NX, Canon Digital Photo Professional, etc., as a stopgap until Adobe support is available. No secret trick beyond reading the camera's instruction manual. The advantage the maker has, of course, is that since they know how to write their Raw files, ARW, NEF, CR2,etc. they also know how to read and convert them even before the model release. I imagine that some people might end up preferring the maker's software, because another advantage the maker has is that the converter reads all the camera settings metadata and can easily produce a jpg just like camera does - a task that can require some effort with LR or other third party converters.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 14, 2018 Aug 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And just to add to that, Lightroom isn't going to import the images and have them look exactly like they look with Sony's software. It's going to take some fine tuning on the user's part to make Lightroom process the way one might expect. Lightroom isn't going to read all of the in-camera settings like the Sony software will. So when Lightroom finally DOES support the new camera, don't compare the two software conversions expecting the same results because they will not even be close.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 17, 2018 Aug 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This response shows extreme naiveté or is a blatant attempt to whitewash a discordant relationship between Adobe and Camera manufacturers.

I worked in high tech for 40 years, working for a variety of software and hardware companies, including computer manufacturers and cellphone makers.   EVERY cellphone maker and EVERY computer manufacturer knows the value of third-party support and works closely with key third-party vendors to ensure third-party support for new products is available at the time of product launch.  It is not magic that third-party apps and add-ons for iPhones, Samsung Galaxy phones, etc. is available as soon as the devices go on sale, it happens because the manufacturers work closely with the vendors to guarantee it happens that way.  In my past we worked closely with Adobe, even, to ensure that Adobe had day 1 support for new products.

If Adobe does not have day 1 support for new cameras it is either because (1) Adobe is currently unwilling to work with the manufacturer, or (2) the manufacturer is unwilling to work with Adobe to ensure the support is available on day 1.  Given that LR support tends to lag for a number of manufacturers argues that (1) is the more likely answer.  

Bottom line, it is not because it cannot happen, it is because one or the other party is disinterested in making it happen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines