• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Sort not working properly with flagged photos

Explorer ,
Mar 25, 2022 Mar 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorting isn't working properly with me on Lightroom Classic 11.2.

Lightroom Classic 11.2

MacOS 12.3 on M1

I have a specific folder with about 500 images. There are around 30 flagged images with some having virtual copies and proof copies. Filters are off and no matter how I sort the folder these flagged images stay at the top and do not go to the spot they should. For example, if i sort by filename they stay at the top. Same if I sort by Capture Time.

Please forgive me if there is some setting to pin flagged photos to the top but this isn't something i've ever heard of.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 26, 2022 Mar 26, 2022

It's diffcult to see because you edited the screenshot, but it looks like your photos may be stacked. A stack only sorts as a whole. Images inside a stack do not sort.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Mar 25, 2022 Mar 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Troubleshooting steps:

1. If File Name isn't currently being displayed under thumbnails in Grid view, go to View > View Options and set Expanded Cell Extras to include File Name. Then do View > Grid Style > Expanded Cells.

2. Make sure the toolbar is showing at the bottom by doing View > Show Toolbar. 

3. Do View > Sort > File Name.

4. Post a full-resolution screenshot here of the entire LR window.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 26, 2022 Mar 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot attached, blacked out photos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's diffcult to see because you edited the screenshot, but it looks like your photos may be stacked. A stack only sorts as a whole. Images inside a stack do not sort.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahh, thank you! This was it, it looks like those at the top somehow all got put into a stack.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[This post contains formatting and embedded images that don't appear in email. View the post in your Web browser.]

The first 33 photos shown in the grid are in a stack (or perhaps multiple stacks, your editing has obscured the stack badges).  You can tell from the dark arrows on the side, indicating that there are more photos in the stack preceding that photo:

johnrellis_0-1648322324749.png

and from the darker grey border around the thumbnails:

johnrellis_1-1648322362369.png

A stack sorts with other photos by the top photo in the stack -- the photos inside a stack never change their order.  That's why the file names of the stacked photos are out of order:

johnrellis_2-1648322465459.png

Do the menu command Photo > Stacking > Collapse All Stacks, and then the visible thumbnails will be properly sorted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 21, 2023 Jul 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@johnrellis I had the same problem and went through all the preferences and catalog settings, and had view set to "name" and then also tried "capture time" and it wasn't working, but your answer helped me dig deeper into the menu options and I finally realized I'd hit something so I was in Loupe rather than Grid sorting mode. That finally solved the problem for me. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 21, 2023 Jul 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It worked for a minute and now jumped back to moving forward when I hit the flag or other rating. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines