Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Spyder check not showing in LR Classic

New Here ,
Aug 02, 2020 Aug 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All

I have managed to edit an image using SpyderCheckr from LR, but the preset that supposed to save in 'user presets' has not appeared. I am hating LR and hating SpyderCheckr at the moment. Has anyone had the same problem or able to offer a possible solution? I'm stumped.

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SpyderCheckr probably creates an old .lrtemplate preset rather than the new .xmp preset. You cannot blame Adobe (and hate Lightroom) for that, because this is not an Adobe product, but it should not be hard to rectify. Start by going to the manufacturer website to see if they haven't already fixed it: https://www.datacolor.com/photography-design/support/

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are right, it is saving with the wrong file extension - .lrtemplate instead of .xmp. I have no idea how to fix that. At least I know what is wrong, I guess!

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 03, 2020 Aug 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Johan

Thank you for your help. I found the preset with the xmp extension, but when I tried to import it, Lightroom told me it was already imported, which it isn't. So I'm back to being stumped. 

I am thinking that maybe I set up Lightroom wrong and am thinking of uninstalling it and starting again. I've already done this, so have nothing in Lightroom apart from the files I'm working with with the SpyderCheckr 24 images. 

I need to get this sorted so that I can continue with the photography diploma I'm currently doing, but I'm starting to lose hope that it's going to work out. 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 31, 2021 Jan 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there Im having the same problem, its so frustrating!! argh

I have downloaded the up to date soft ware for the spyder colorcheckr 24 and its still saving it as lrtemplate not xmp. 

I have lodged a query with the manufacter to see what they say. Im trying to get my assisnment done for my diploma and am feed up with keep on spending money all the time. I only just bought this and its out of date already seriously WTF. 

I can even find the saved preset to try and change it to xmp.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 01, 2021 Feb 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Contact their support.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not understand what you mean by- "I have managed to edit an image using SpyderCheckr from LR."

No problems here!

The 'Export' of a DNG photo (must convert raw to DNG!) of the ColorChecker chart is done with the xRite export {ColorChecker Passport} preset to create a Camera Profile-

ScreenShot059.jpg  The DNG image

ScreenShot055.jpg The Export Preset

This 'Export' creates a Profile for the camera (it is not a Preset).

ScreenShot057.jpgThe 'Save as' dialog for the Profile name

My created Profiles are saved to-

ScreenShot058.jpg (D750-2015.dcp  was just created now!)

A restart of Lightroom-Classic is required for the Profile to then show in the Profile Chooser - Basic Panel in Develop.

ScreenShot060.jpg

You can now apply this Profile to photos from the specific camera in the Develop module, and use it in Develop and Import Presets.

It is a 'Triad' needed to approach color correctness-

1) The monitor calibrated/profiled with the Spyder device

2) The Camera sensor profile created and applied (as above)

3) White Balance corrected from the Grey patches of the color checker chart.

Happy color correcting 🙂

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ColorChecker Passport is something else than SpyderCheckr. The first creates a profile, the latter creates a preset.

It is easy to solve this. Open the folder where all the other (non-develop) presets are located. You can do this via a button in the Lightroom Preferences. There may still be a 'Develop Presets' folder in there, filled with old .lrtemplate presets (with two tildes in front of their names, so Lightroom knows these are already converted). If you see no such folder, then create one. Place the SpyderCheckr preset in that folder and start Lightroom Classic. Lightroom should now convert the preset to .XMP and place it where it belongs.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're amazing, Johan! Thank you so much. I'll try it now.

*Abi Bradbury*

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thankyou Johan, I stand corrected, and my knowledge about SpyderCheckr is greatly increased.

After a visit to https://www.datacolor.com/photography-design/product-overview/spyder-checkr-family/

From watching the video, I see that the Presets created are a one-step edit that corrects both color and white-balance for the lighting of a scene.

I am using the SpyderX-Pro for monitor calibration (no Presets created, only profiles).

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 01, 2021 Feb 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

IMHO, SpyderCheckr is a total waste of money and a ripoff of a product that does as it should actually create DCP camera profiles as well as being useful for WB and such. 

Get a MacBeth ColorChecker or Passport. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines