• ķ•œźµ­ ģ»¤ė®¤ė‹ˆķ‹°
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Sudden Magenta cast when printing from LR

Explorer ,
Aug 28, 2018 Aug 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been printing from LR forever with no problem but suddenly I am getting a Magenta colour cast which seems to have started only recently. I have not altered anything to cause this that I am aware of. I printed a colour test target from Permajet and the Grey's are the worst affected and skin colour also. Has anyone else had this experience and can shed some light? I print on Epson Photo R3000. I think this may have started after downloading the latest LR CC. 7.5

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Aug 29, 2018 Aug 29, 2018

Cleaning fine, but you still need to carefully examine a nozzle check that ALL lines are clean.

Unless it's the profile. I can't comment on the quality of a canned paper profile. That may be the issue since you say that using Printer Manages Color is OK. Got other paper/profiles you can try?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Denthenlens,

As you're getting a magenta tint on the printed images, could you please have a look at this forum thread and let us know if it helps? Magenta cast to photos printed from LR or PS

Regards,
Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 29, 2018 Aug 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Sahil, I already checked out this thread but it doesn't apply as I run a PC not Mac and my drivers are up to date. Thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you picked a profile, you are using Lightroom (Application Manages Color). You could try Printer Manages Color but I don't recommend it other than for testing if you also get a magenta cast. If so, that indicates it may be a printer issue such as a clogged nozzle. Have you done a nozzle check to see all inks are firing? What printer and OS? Can you upload the settings in the driver?

It sounds like you're doing everything correctly: picking a profile for the paper/printer, ensuring no color management is invoked in the print driver.

Author ā€œColor Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot 2018-08-29 15.55.11.pngI have cleaned my heads twice to make sure and also have tried what you suggested and printed your test chart with printer managing the colour and it greatly improved the cast on the greys ( which are the most affected and skin ) but was terrible on the other colours. The worst affected are grey's and skin other colours are not too bad. Please see screen grab of printer managing colour.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems strange why it should mostly affect the grey's.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

denthelens  wrote

Seems strange why it should mostly affect the grey's.

Nozzle check? That one black ink is getting low but that said, you should be able to print until the unit stops and replace (there's still ink in the lines).

Also try printing without using a saved print template IF you're doing so. IOW, start from scratch by setting up everything and then print.

Do you have any other products you can test printing from using color management, like Photoshop?

Author ā€œColor Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK I have printed a BW image from  PS and also your test print and get the same result. I don't think I had this problem before I upgraded LR and PS recently, do you think the problem lies there? I have all new paper profiles from both Permajet and Fotospeed and have tried both papers with same result. I have calibrated my monitor 3 times in as many days and cleaned my printer heads twice and can't think of anything else I can do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cleaning fine, but you still need to carefully examine a nozzle check that ALL lines are clean.

Unless it's the profile. I can't comment on the quality of a canned paper profile. That may be the issue since you say that using Printer Manages Color is OK. Got other paper/profiles you can try?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

OK I must have done something wrong when I set up the profiles, I have now installed Permajet Generic profiles and this has cured the problem, I have yet to try Fotospeed but will presume get same result. Thank you so much thedigitaldog for your help plus all the others.

For clarity, all of my bespoke profiles are 2 weeks old so did not think they were wrong. My mistake.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At this point, I would delete the printer in Win, then restart and completely reinstall the driver.

Ken Seals - Nikon Z 9, Z 8, 14mm-800mm. Computer Win 11 Pro, I7-8700K, 64GB, RTX3070TI. Travel machine: 2021 MacBook Pro M1 MAX 64GB. All Adobe apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, attempt a print using a Color Reference file like this one:

http://www.digitaldog.net/files/2014PrinterTestFileFlat.tif.zip

Use Lightroom Manages Color and select the correct ICC profile.

Magenta color cast? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank   thedigitaldog you for the reference file which I have printed and still has the cast. I'm not sure how to let Lightroom Manage Colour, I have the correct profile selected in Lightroom Colour Management and Colour Management off in printer driver.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check to see that all the settings are to have LR manage color. What you describe can happen if the printer and LR both manage color.

Ken Seals - Nikon Z 9, Z 8, 14mm-800mm. Computer Win 11 Pro, I7-8700K, 64GB, RTX3070TI. Travel machine: 2021 MacBook Pro M1 MAX 64GB. All Adobe apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, did you recently upgrade your operating system? If so, the printer driver might need its own update or upgrade. Check your printer maker's website to see if there is a new driver to match your operating system.

and then make sure that your settings are set to have LR manage the color and not the printer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you KR Seals please see my reply to thedigitaldog

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines