• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Sync Settings dialog window is hidden off-screen. How do I fix this?

New Here ,
Mar 29, 2017 Mar 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone.
Some time over the last month, my Lightroom "Sync Settings" window started appearing outside of the visible screen area.
I use it whenever i have multiple shots to edit that were taken in the same area of a room, under the same conditions. I'll edit the first image to my liking, then select the others & click the the "Sync..." button in the lower right-hand corner.

Recently, the dialog window that gives me the option to choose which settings I would like to copy started popping up outside the visible area, and the only way to get back to the main Lightroom workspace is to just his Enter on the keyboard and accept all changes.

Normally if this happens with an application in windows, I can right-click the app's icon on the Windows taskbar and select move, then use the arrow keys or mouse to get it back within view. Unfortunately this is happening with one window within the Lightroom application.

Is there a way to reset the window's last location, or have Lightroom forget where the window was positioned last?

Thanks for any help given.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Mar 29, 2017 Mar 29, 2017

The "symptoms" would suggest that Lightroom is trying to display the synchronization screen on a second monitor. Sorry, but I don't have any suggestions.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only way I can get the sync button to go offscreen is to collapse the right-hand panel. Are you using a larger screen resolution  that makes everything look bigger? What version of Lightroom? What OS?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi JimHess.
The sync button is fine. Its the "Sync Settings window" that pops up after the Sync button is clicked, that is off screen.
When I click the Sync button, it appears as though nothing happens, but I can't click or operate any other function in Lightroom.

Clicking anywhere will just result in a *ding* sound. The same alert sound you get when you have a "[Cancel] or [OK]" dialog prompt and you must select one of those options, except, I can't see the prompt.
All I can do is press enter on my keyboard and accept whatever changes were selected.

My screen resolution is 1024 x 768
Lightroom 6.0 on Windows 10

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The "symptoms" would suggest that Lightroom is trying to display the synchronization screen on a second monitor. Sorry, but I don't have any suggestions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may have a point.
I did have a dual display setup until one monitor died in December of last year. Since then, i've been using one monitor.
I can't remember if Lightroom used to open on the second display, or if i've used the sync settings between Dec & Feb when I noticed the problem.

Usually after restarting the computer with one monitor, all windows are forced to open on that one display... no?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ximcix  wrote

Usually after restarting the computer with one monitor, all windows are forced to open on that one display... no?

I think it depends on whether or not the cable for the second monitor is still connected to your computer. Right-click on the desktop and select "Display Settings" and see if there are one or two displays showing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The cable is still connected to the computer, but not to the broken monitor.
When I open display settings, 2 monitors show. One blue (the active monitor), one grey.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Disconnect the cable, and reboot (although you should be able to use the display settings menu to revert to a single monitor setup).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom could still be in dual monitor mode. I haven't experimented a lot with that because I've never had dual monitors. But you could try pressing F11 to see if that helps. If you know more about dual monitor setup in Lightroom you might have a better idea.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With the dual setup I had, Lightroom would open on one monitor only (it might have been the monitor on the right).
All Lightroom related dialogs would appear on that monitor.
After the monitor on the right died, and the computer was restarted, all applications would open on the only remaining monitor (because windows forced them to), but based on your suggestion, it could be that the sync settings dialog window's position is being managed by Lightroom, and its being told to open in the same pixel position where it was closed last.

Example: with both monitors working, my screen resolution would be  2048 (width of both monitors) x 768 (height)
Maybe Lightroom is still telling the sync window to open at horizontal position 1523 (one & a half times the width of my single monitor) & vertical position 384 (halfway down from the top).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know if it will help, but you might try resetting your preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know if it will help, but you might try resetting your preferences.

The positions of windows are stored in the preferences, so resetting preferences usually fixes problems with off-screen windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 08, 2017 Apr 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you JimHess & @Jim Wilde You were both on the right track.
The monitor that died was #1, so monitor 2 defaulted as the primary, and while one end of the cable was disconnected from the monitor, the other end was still plugged into the graphics card.

After switching the working monitor to cable #1, removing the unused cable & restarting the machine, everything was back on track.
A couple other unrelated issues were resolved as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On the contrary, a larger resolution makes things display smaller. In fact, this may be a way to get the window back; if the screen resolution is set to less than the max, raise it as much as possible and then drag the window to the center of the screen and return the resolution setting back to where it was.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.
My screen resolution is at it's max setting (1024 x 768).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That depends on how you look at the terminology. I consider a "larger" resolution one that uses smaller numbers, therefore making things larger on the screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, but the monitor makers who market their 4K and 5K screens as "hi res" aren't going to like that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay. I noticed that I didn't say a smaller resolution, I said a larger resolution. But you're probably right. I will rethink my reference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2017 Apr 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue although I was trying to copy settings from one photo then paste to another, but the selection box of settings never appeared after pressing the copy button, and then it just DINGS when I click on anything after selecting the copy button.  NEED HELP!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 05, 2017 Apr 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Type Esc (escape) to exit the dialog window.  Then reset LR's preferences: https://www.lightroomqueen.com/articles-page/how-do-i-reset-lightrooms-preferences/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2022 Nov 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The reset helped me fix this issue with LR Classic. Thank you so much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines