• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Tethered capture using Canon 5d mark IV not working in Lightroom Classic on macOS Big Sur

New Here ,
Mar 24, 2021 Mar 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Guys

I'm trying to shoot tethered to my new Mac book pro through Lightroom Classic. The issue is Lightroom kind of recognises the camera as it appears when I go to import images (however shows no images), but it does not find the camera when I go to start a new tethered session.

When I try to connect to a windows PC, no problem, connects up like a dream.

Also when cable connected to the Mac, if anything on the camera is pressed the rear camera screen shows BUSY.

Is this an issue with Lightroom, Mac or EOS utility.

Running Big Sur, Mac only 3 weeks old

Pulling my hair out

Thanks

Mark

{Thread title edited by moderator}

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 25, 2021 Mar 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We're sorry about the trouble with Lightroom Classic while trying to shoot tethered using your Canon camera. Please ensure you have the latest version of Lightroom Classic (10.2) installed on the computer.

Please go to the System Preferences for your Mac, then Security and Privacy, then select the Privacy tab. Then select Accessibility from the list to the left & check if Lightroom Classic is added to the list with a check mark in front of it. If not, please add it by unlocking the window first using the lock at the bottom left, then clicking the + icon & navigating to the Applications folder. Also, grant permissions to Lightroom Classic under Full disk access located in the same list as Accessibility. Once done, restart the Mac & check if it helps.

You can also check out the steps suggested here: https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/troubleshoot-tethered-capture-lightroom.html

Regards,

Nikunj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 15, 2021 Apr 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Mark,

I'm having a similar problem.  Did you ever get your 5D Mark IV to connect properly to your new MacBook Pro?  If so, what did you do to resolve the problem?

So far, I'm not having much luck even after trying out the suggestions.  Would love to learn from someone who's a step ahead of me.

Looking forward to hearing what happened to you.  Hope you still have some hair left...

Amy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 15, 2021 Apr 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Training on all aspects of the program available from Adobe.

Also many YouTube videos with step by step walk thru to help you.
Adobe has a creative cloud channel on you tube, or just search “Lightroom classic “ on YouTube.

Browse a bit and create your own playlist
There are walk thru videos for days on the subject of “teathering”

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 19, 2022 Jan 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're still having issues, try using a shorter cable for tethering. That solved my problem. I used the cable that came with the camera (maybe 3ft long) instead of my Tether Tools 15ft cable and that apparently was the issue. My husband (an engineer) said it was an issue with voltage drop because of the long cable most likely. I did buy the TetherBooster Pro from Tether Tools last night as well, so I'm hoping that will allow me to use the 15ft Tether Tools cord with no issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 23, 2022 Mar 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi 

I just wondered if your change to shorter tethering cable was still working ok for you.

Only, I'm too experiencing the same issues with Lightroom Classic whilst tethering from my Canon 5d Mark 4 to my new Macbook Pro 14" (using a 4.6m TetherPro USB-C to 3.0 Micro-B cable from Tether Tools).

For some reason tethering to EOS Utility works perfectly with the new firmware 1.3.3 installed. However, Lightroom does not see my Camera at all. In fact when I connect the tethering cable all of my cameras function button stop working working. The display screen says 'Busy' when I try the shutter button and I get a flashing error message, as soon as I disconnect all the buttons start working again. I've spent around three hours on the phone with Adobe and Canon today and i'm still no further to resolving this issue. Like everyone else, this is incredibly frustrating and doesn't echo the 'easy' tethering process shown on You Tube. 

I've ordered a cheapo replacement 1m cable, but I'm not convinced this is the answer because Canon EOS Utility works so well. But after your post I'm going to give it a try.

If anyone has any thoughts/comments it would be much appreciated. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 23, 2022 Mar 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just did a tethered shoot yesterday with Canon 5D Mark IV. I was tethered via Tether Pro cable with the Tether Boost and shooting in Lightroom. Starting the day working very well, then starting having intermittent connections issues. Switched to the shorter cord that came with the camera and that worked fine. Tried to switch back to longer Tether Pro cable later in the day when I had a break and had problems again. Finally just switched to using my 5D Mark III with long Tether Pro cable and didn't have a single issue. I think the whole issue is in that USB-C port in the Mark IV...like not enough power and maybe is just a more loose connection that the old Mark III port.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 03, 2022 May 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having exact same issue! Any updates? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2023 Jan 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had the same issue between a Canon 5D Mark IV and a Macbook Pro M1 Max connected by a long TetherPro cable. Lightroom up to date.

It turned out I had the update the firmware of my camera, it took me 10 min total and now everything works perfectly.

Hope it helps !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 18, 2023 Apr 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had same issue,My Canon 5DMark IV with Ipad Pro 12.5, I use Tether Tools Usb - c a 3.0 Micro -B right angle to connect it, The display screen says 'Busy' when I try the shutter button so i dont what what do .

Can some one pls help ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 24, 2023 Aug 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I had the same issue. Did All the things. All the things. Yep, it was camera firmware that did it!

Thanks for the solution, since I would not have guessed that!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2023 Feb 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also updated firmware and issue is resolved. Thanks so much for all of your tips! This was SUPER frustrating when I had clients over my shoulder waiting on set and no way to resolve it. Fingers crossed this issue doesn't come up again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 03, 2023 Apr 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same connection issue. Lightroom couldn't see my Canon 5D MKIII, so I tried removing the memory card from the camera, and when I turned the camera back on, Lightroom instantly connected with the camera. This solved the issue for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 03, 2023 May 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just purchased a tether pro cable. Followed YT videos to shoot tethered into LR on Mac OS. LR was stuck on "Detecting Camera" and 5DmIV was unresponsive with the busy message as detailed in other post.

Followed your guidance and updated firmware following this YT video https://youtu.be/BrmTT-jO9zQ

Works like a champ now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 15, 2023 May 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update the firmware in your camera! Works perfectly with Capture One 22 on MacBook pro M1 Max.

https://www.usa.canon.com/support/p/eos-5d-mark-iv

Scroll down to:

EOS 5D Mark IV Firmware Update, Version 1.3.3 [Mac OS X]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines