• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Tethering with a d3200

New Here ,
Feb 07, 2017 Feb 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to know if there is a way to tether capture using a nikon d3200 please using lightroom ?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Feb 07, 2017 Feb 07, 2017

That model is not on the list of cameras that Lightroom supports for tethered shooting.

A list of cameras that can be tethered to Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That model is not on the list of cameras that Lightroom supports for tethered shooting.

A list of cameras that can be tethered to Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was just wondering maybe if there is a way to do it using that camera.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not that I'm aware of.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To tether the Nikon D3200- you will need:

1. Alternative software-  DigiCamControl  Easy to use, free solution for complex camera control | digiCamControl

2. In Lightroom- set up "Auto Import"  with a 'Watched' folder (Desktop is a convenient location), and a 'Destination' folder (Within your  Pictures folders.)

3. In DigiCamControl- Start a 'Session' and specify the 'Watched' folder as the location to 'save' photos that come from the tethered D3200 camera.

4. Shoot- your images will appear in the 'Destination' folder in Lightroom.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 08, 2017 Feb 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thankyou.

Sorry im very new to this. Do i have to do all 4 steps ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems that I was not aware of that software. I have looked at it, and it seems to be quite robust. In order to have the images go directly into Lightroom you need to follow all four steps that have been outlined above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, as Jim Hess says- "All four steps"

You are working with two software apps operating at the same time.

The DigiCamControl program is transferring your images from camera to the computer "Watched Folder".

And Lightroom is automatically adding the images into the library catalog by the "Auto Import" process that moves the photos out of the 'Watched Folder" and into the selected "Destination folder".

The setup for "Auto Import" in Lr needs to be only set up once  (File > Auto Import > Auto Import Settings...)

All the photos from the tethered camera end up in the named "Destination Folder", but you can use Lightroom to move them to other folders in the Folder panel of Lr  (never with the OS)

I commonly use the Auto-Import feature of Lr with my Epson scanner. Any photo (or document) I scan (as an image file- jpg, tiff)  can be 'saved' to the "Watched Folder" and then automatically gets added into the Lr catalog.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you aren't concerned about having the images go into the Lightroom catalog automatically then you don't need to set up the watched folder. You can just use the other software and specify a folder on your computer. Then when you have finished your shooting you can import all the images into Lightroom at once.  It's all a matter of what you are looking for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What im trying to do is have they come straight up on my laptop when i shoot. And liked the way they come up in lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 09, 2017 Feb 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

come up in lightroom.

Possible after the four steps above-  Get both apps working so you know the images are appearing in the Lr "Destination" folder.

Then steps follow-

5. Maximize Lightroom to full-screen view (DigiCamControl- hidden below- but still operating)

6. Have the "Destination" Folder visible in the library grid view

7. Goto the menu and set 'Auto Advance' on to always see the last photo taken.   {Menu > Photo > Auto Advance }

8. Press 'F'  for full screen.

9. Shoot from the camera.

(I think I have the details correct- )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 22, 2021 Nov 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a solution on Mac? I tried to download that software but it seems to be a Windows application... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 23, 2021 Nov 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not being familiar with Mac (tether alternatives), I can only suggest a Googly search-

https://formac.informer.com/digicamcontrol

Or perhaps others may have an answer for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2021 Nov 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, thank you so much. I will have a look. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 21, 2022 Apr 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks bro, this is very helpful. At first I was disappointed to learn that the D3200 was not included in the supported list. now i can transfer photos directly to lightroom even though there is a few seconds lag for JPEG Fine (and it takes a lot more seconds when capturing NEF Raw) but who cares, IT WORKS! 😄

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 08, 2022 Sep 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jim, I would love to tether my D3200 to Lightroom but would like to have a program that is compatible with my Mac. Is there one I can do all the steps you mention? Thanks for your help 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 08, 2022 Sep 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Vale260166065411 I believe tethering will be difficult (virtually impossible!) for the D3200 as its SDK has lack of support by many software apps.

One that I can find is 'Smart Shooter 4'  that mentions -

2022-09-09 07_45_15-Window.jpg

And the D3200 is not evn shown in the list of compatible cameras!

https://tethertools.com/tethering-software/smart-shooter-3/

https://tethertools.com/product/smart-shooter-4/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 26, 2017 May 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the information.  I had my D3200 going into Lightroom in minutes after following these instructions.  Very helpful!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines