Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Tethering with Canon 5d Mark IV

Community Beginner ,
Jun 28, 2017 Jun 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am having issues tethering with the Canon 5d Mark IV and Lightroom. All the software is up to date but I cannot tether Raw images. Only Jpegs. After shooting one image I have to restart the program because it just says "transferring files from camera" for hours. Tether cord is brand new. This worked fine with the Mark III. But I am having so many issues with the Mark IV and I need to be able to tether Raw. Does anyone have any solutions? there is about 500GB on the computer and I've restarted the computer a million times as well. thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jun 29, 2017 Jun 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi danielles,

Please check out this article Fix tethered shooting in Lightroom where we have documented possible causes and solutions of the problem you are facing.

Also, ensure that a card must be in the camera for tethering to work properly with this camera.

Let us know if that helps.

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 29, 2017 Jun 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I went through all of those steps. Still not working properly. Works fine with capture one but I would like to use lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 30, 2017 Jun 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please reset Lightroom preferences to default. Check out this article for more details Resetting Preferences in Lightroom CC/6

~Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 30, 2017 Jun 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That did not work as well. Made it worse. When starting the tether it flashes on and off that it's reading the camera. Tether works perfectly fine in capture one so it's not the cable. Canon 5D mark iii works fine in lightroom. For whatever reason the 5D mark IV does not work with it. You should take this camera off the list of cameras that work with Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 28, 2019 Jun 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I figured out how to get CR2/RAW files using Canon 5D IV and Lightroom. Turns out this is a 5D IV problem. It has to do with the playback setting in the camera. If you change your playback setting to the card where you are recording RAW files, you will magically start receiving RAW files in Lightroom.

Now, I have reported this as a bug to Canon support. If you run the Canon EOS Utility 3, you will find an option to tether and transfer JPG, RAW, or JPG + RAW. That doesn't function. There is no equivalent menu item inside the camera.  They effectively overloaded the Playback setting for three settings. It controls which card for playback while shooting, where Videos are recorded, AND which files are downloaded during tethering. There is no apparent way to download both files while tethering.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 17, 2021 Dec 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on a brand new M1 Max MacBook Pro and cannot tether my Canon 5D Mark IV (Latest firmware 1.3.3) with Lightroom Classic 11.1 release. OS X Monterey 12.1. I can trigger capture via the Tether menu, but the Camera window and ability to turn on LIVE VIEW do not come up.

Tethering works fine with EOS Utility.

Same version of Lightroom Classic running on OSX 10.15.7 MacBook Pro (mid 2015) has the tethering working fine.

I'ver tried all the tips listed here and elsewhere to no avail.

Please fix this ASAP!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 05, 2022 Mar 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tim, 

As you feel this is a bug, you'd be far better of creating a new Bug post and copy/pasting the steps you've done from here to it. Even reference this post. 

Tethering is supposed to be working, but under Rosetta: 

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/tether-support-apple-silicon-devices.html

Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 23, 2017 Nov 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The result from my testing: In the very opposite way, take OUT both the CF card and SD card from 5d IV, tethered capture works perfectly fine.

I am running Lightroom Classic CC (7.0.1) on MacBook Pro, macOS High Sierra.

But when I put any card into the camera, the picture can not write into the card while tethered, that cause the issue.

I also tested with EOS Utility, when I choose save to "computer only", it works fine; when I choose save to "camera memory card only" or "computer and camera memory card", they both don't work. I can see a red line error information said "connection lost".

The camera shows a computer logo on the screen as the error with Lightroom Classic CC tethered.

I hope it does help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2017 Dec 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had the same issue with Canon 5d mk IV. The solution for me was disabled ftp (automatic transfer - off) and wireless in the camera settings. When I turned it off, tethered start working. Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 22, 2018 Jan 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Simple but perfect solution. It worked for me. Thank you!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 19, 2022 Oct 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Today I did tethered shooting unfortunately only jpgs saved on my system, the ones did not transfer but were on the cards were RAW & on another card was jpgs.
I checked again connecting the tethered data wire, and in one of the options I found was to download images from card istead of being directly transferred to the connected system where only jpg get saved on the system.

I changed the settings where no images are sent to destination folder on the system.

Anyway I was downloading image files from the card when not connected to the system (thethering).

It went d=so fast LOL missed the steps but I think it is in the software EOS3 window. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 25, 2018 Apr 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

after reading all this and some trial&error, I got my Canon 5Dm4 to tether capture using the latest Lightroom CC Classic version by doing the following:

1) make sure that Canon Utility is not running and doesn't autostart on your computer.

2) turn OFF (disable) camera's wifi (found in Communications Settings in "wrench menu #4")

3) turn OFF (disable) camera's auto ftp (found in Communications Settings in "wrench menu #4")

You should restart both computer and camera.

hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 28, 2019 Jun 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not a Lightroom issue. It is a Canon 5D Mark IV problem. Change the playback setting in the camera to the card that has your desired file type. That is the file type you will download while tethering.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 13, 2022 Mar 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you elaborate on this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 07, 2021 Oct 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem. I am using a new Tether Tools USB Cable. When I connect I can take ONE photo, then LR crashes. I am using LR Classic 10.4 on a Dell XPS Win10 and the camera firmware is up-to-date. No problems with my 5DMIII, but I can't sell it because I can't connect the 5DMIV. It works fine with Canon DPS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 07, 2021 Oct 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure you have a card in the camera.  If that doesn't help, work through these troubleshooting steps:

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/troubleshoot-tethered-capture-lightroom.html 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 19, 2022 Jan 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're still having issues, try using a shorter cord for tethering. That solved my problem. I used the cord that came with the camera (maybe 3ft long) instead of my Tether Tools 15ft cord and that apparently was the issue. My husband (an engineer) said it was an issue with voltage drop because of the long cable most likely. I did buy the TetherBooster Pro from Tether Tools last night as well, so I'm hoping that will allow me to use the 15ft Tether Tools cord with no issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. I would like to hear from you if tetherpro helps, but I also tried the short one and that one  gives te same problems 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you try tethering with the short original cable and it does not work, the problem is probably something else, but surely not the drop in voltage as described above. The cable still may be faulty.

Try wifi. If that works, change the cable, if that works try a longer cable. If the first does not work, check the software. Look for updates (Canon and Adobe side), or look for downgrades. You need to be systematic, step by step, changing one parameter per trial.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I solved the problem thanks to a message from 2017 here. It seems to be a
problem for 5d mark IV but some people wrote down solutions and one worked.
Thanks all

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 19, 2022 Mar 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FWIW, I have been having this issue with my Canon 5DMIV using a Terhter Tools cable since my first attempt using it. I have tried all of the posted "solutions" here and on the Adobe site and NOTHING has worked... unitl today. Instead of using the Tether Tools cable, I used the cable that was supplied with the camera and it worked. Of course the cable is too short to use practically, to I connected a USB extention cable and it still works.

I could not fathom that a $40 TetherTools cable would not work as their cables work well with my 5DMIII and my EOS R. For some reason, the Tether Tools cable doe not work with the Canon 5DMIV. Perpelexing! When I get the chance I am going to see it tethering works using the EOS Utility software. BTW, my camera firmware is up-to-date, as is Lightroom and the Windows 11 OS on my Dell XPS PC (it didn't work with Windows 10 either).

I'm going to take it up with Tether Tools.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They're going to suggest you buy the Tether Boost.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update: I tethered the camera to Canon DPS using the EOS Utility software with the Tether Tools cable and it worked fine. It seems to me that problem lies somewhere with Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 19, 2022 Oct 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have had the same problem using a TetherTools cable. I found that tehering to Lightroom works when using the cable supplied with the 5DMIV. Hwever, the cable is very short, so you'll need an extension cable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines