• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unexpected error opening catalog in Lightroom Classic 10.4 on M1 Mac running macOS 11.5.2

New Here ,
Sep 02, 2021 Sep 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've gotten the unexpected error opening catalog error on a Mac M1. It seems to affect several versions back of my backup catalogs as well (as suggested to try in other posts.)

When I click "Try Again" the catalog opens. 

I imported this catalog into a new catalog, with no errors. But after saving, I reopen the program and get the unexpected error again. I'd really like to avoid having to somehow recreate my catalog. Any suggestions are welcome. 

Version:LR Classic 10.4

Mac OS: 11.5.2 on Mac Mini M1

{Thread title edited by moderator}

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We're sorry about the trouble with Lightroom Classic due to the unexpected error while opening catalogs. Are the catalogs & backups stored on an external drive? If yes, try moving the catalog to the Macs local storage to check if that helps.

Please ensure that Lightroom Classic has the necessary permissions on your Mac by following the steps mentioned below:

1. Go to the System Preferences for your Mac, then Security and Privacy, then select the Privacy tab.

2. Then select Accessibility from the list to the left & check if Lightroom Classic is added to the list with a check mark in front of it.

3. If Lightroom Classic is not a part of the list, please add it by unlocking the window first using the lock at the bottom left, then clicking the + icon & navigating to the Applications folder.

4. Also, grant permissions to Lightroom Classic under Full disk access located in the same list as Accessibility.

5. Once done, restart the Mac & check if it helps.

Let us know if it helps!

Regards,

Nikunj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I checked. LRC was not on the Accessibility list but was in the Full Disk Access list. I followed your instructions, no change. Still unexpected error, try again still allows opening. 

This was on the main, internal hard disk to begin with. 

Thanks for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try unzipping a recent backup and placing the unzipped catalog in a brand new empty folder and then opening the catalog. If that doesn't work, try unzipping a recent backup again (not the same unzipped file that you used in the first sentence) and place it on a different hard disk, and then opening the catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried a backup on internal drive - error.

I tried a backup on an external drive - no error 1st run. Saved and reopened - error. 

Thoughts? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hardware malfunction somewhere. Could be hard disk or memory chips or even the motherboard. Run diagnostics.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks but that's not the case. Machine and all other software running perfectly. Disk utility and disk drill report disks working fine. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 03, 2021 Sep 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm told by someone who uses Macs (I don't use a Mac) that you need to take the copmuter to the Apple Store, where they can perform in-depth analyses.

Other software running perfectly is irrelevant . Lightroom Classic can stress hardware more than other software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 07, 2021 Sep 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let's skip ahead. I've made an appointment to get the mac checked. But I put this catalog on a PC and tried to rebuild and same issue.

So, How do I recover a catalog and not lose the modifications and settings on 14,000 photos, please? Any suggestions? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 08, 2021 Sep 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I explained above how to use a recent backup of your catalog file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines