• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

updating to Lr classic cc

Community Beginner ,
Jun 16, 2018 Jun 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just did the update to Lr CC and Lr classic CC. I understand that it’s asking me to update my current catalogue so that it will work with the new Lr system. My hesitation comes because I use an external hard drive to store my images.  I would really hate to break the conection and have Lr loose where those images are kept. So my question is what will change when i allow the update. Will Lightroom still see the external hard drive and read those files? and will my catalogue keep information like keywords and collections?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ashleyj56073739  wrote

I just did the update to Lr CC and Lr classic CC. I understand that it’s asking me to update my current catalogue so that it will work with the new Lr system. My hesitation comes because I use an external hard drive to store my images.  I would really hate to break the conection and have Lr loose where those images are kept. So my question is what will change when i allow the update. Will Lightroom still see the external hard drive and read those files? and will my catalogue keep information like keywords and collections?

In Lightroom Classic CC, go to File->Open Catalog and select your existing catalog (from an earlier version of Lightroom). It will ask if you want to upgrade. You reply YES or OK or whatever the positive response is. This will not break the connection to the photos in the previous catalog. All your keywords and collections will appear in the new catalog. Really, these are not things to worry about.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In reality, if you want to use what is in your current catalog then your only choice is to allow Lightroom Classic CC to upgrade the current catalog. Your only other choice would be to create a new catalog. Your original catalog will be left intact, unmodified, and still usable by the previous version. The updated catalog will have the same name except it will have a -2 appended to its name.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my opinion, it doesn't make sense to create a new blank catalog for Lightroom Classic CC, unless it is for learning purposes only.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ashleyj56073739  wrote

I just did the update to Lr CC...

If you are referring to the 'new' Cloud based Lightroom-CC, then I would suggest it will only complicate your desktop system.

Keep Lightroom-CC only for mobile devices- Laptop, iPad, etc. (IOW- un-install it from the desktop) At least until you (and me) understand fully the implications of using both Lr programs.

As advised above- Lightroom Classic is the program for a 'desktop' using your familiar catalog and photos.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.4, Photoshop 25.9.1, ACR 16.4, Lightroom 7.4, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.1.1, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jun 17, 2018 Jun 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Seconded!! Accept the catalogue upgrade as well  as learn one LR platform initially well

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines