• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

User Presets keep disappearing

New Here ,
Apr 10, 2013 Apr 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the 4th time this year I have started up LR4 only to find that all my User Presets have disappeared - why is this happening. All my photos are still there but I have no User presets for Develop nor print and no Metadata presets. I haven't changed any settings.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

People's Champ , Apr 10, 2013 Apr 10, 2013

There is no advantage. Quite the opposite.

Read this (post # 5): http://forums.adobe.com/message/4885942#4885942

and this: http://www.lightroomforums.net/showthread.php?14169-What-is-the-purpose-of-the-quot-Store-Presets-with-Catalog-quot-optionhttp://

The only scenario where it makes sense is if you have two computers and want to work alternatively from one of them (with the same hard drive), and you need to access your presets from either computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This happened to me, also. When I upgraded to v4.4 all of the presets (Develop & Print) "disappeared" in the sense that they were no longer available from the left panel. They were not deleted from the folder but had to be "reinstalled." Is there some Default folder I should be using instead of the {User Name}/AppData/Roaming/Adobe/Lightroom/... Presets?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check your Preferences>Presets>Location and see if Store presets with catalog is checked. Try checking and unchecking it and see if they come back.  Most instances I have seen toggling this check box will restore existing presets-provided they user hasn't fiddled with their location.

There is also a button to tell you where Lightroom is looking for your presets called [Show Lightroom Presets Folder …]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for all your advice. I am not so concerned about getting them back as I learnt the first time around and managed to reimport most of them and now I save them in 2 places so as they don't get lost. LR4 worked perfectly yesterday and then today all the presets disappeared again. I have now reimported the develop and printer presets and I also toggled the Store presets box which returned my Metadata presets - but I want to know why this is happening. I can understand perhaps the explanation of it happening on an upgrade, but I didn't have an upgrade yesterday - it seems to be happening too often.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rikk, I did have the "store with catalog" box checked. I don't remember if I checked it or if that is a default. In any event, what is the advantage to storing the presets with the catalog? Hmmmm. Is it so if you use an external drive on two different machines, they have the same Presets? Never mind, I answered my own question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no advantage. Quite the opposite.

Read this (post # 5): http://forums.adobe.com/message/4885942#4885942

and this: http://www.lightroomforums.net/showthread.php?14169-What-is-the-purpose-of-the-quot-Store-Presets-wi...

The only scenario where it makes sense is if you have two computers and want to work alternatively from one of them (with the same hard drive), and you need to access your presets from either computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 25, 2014 Apr 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks very much for posting this. You saved me. I thought my presets were all lost. They do indeed appear and vanish with the toggle of that checkbox. I'm in Lr5 so I think this bug is old.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 09, 2016 Oct 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me immediately. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 18, 2017 Jan 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has really come a long way... It just happened to me today (Jan, 18, 2017) and the "unmark" solution worked. THANKS!!

Adobe should've already have this bug fixed by now...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 06, 2017 Jul 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You just saved me. I was about to freak out when ALL of my printing presets were gone. I unchecked the button and they're all back. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 05, 2022 Aug 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

RikkFlohr, spot on answer, solved same issue, thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines