• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Using Camera Profiles from a different model

New Here ,
Jan 24, 2019 Jan 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a Lightroom camera profile that I used to use with my Sony A7R II, however I can't seem to use it on any photos from an A7R III. Is there anyway to modify the profile or otherwise use it on a different (albeit similar) model of camera?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jan 24, 2019 Jan 24, 2019

Loftus  wrote

I have a Lightroom camera profile that I used to use with my Sony A7R II, however I can't seem to use it on any photos from an A7R III. Is there anyway to modify the profile or otherwise use it on a different (albeit similar) model of camera?

The Sony A7R II and A7R III use the exact same sensor with no other differences that would affect actual raw file image rendering in LR. So yes you can use the A7R II profiles with your A7R III by converting them using Adobe DNG Profile Editor.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Loftus  wrote

Apart from the question how useful that would be (these cameras have different sensors), I don't think there is if you are talking about a .DCP profile. These camera profiles are not plain text.

If it is a 'creative profile' in XMP format however, then you can change it so it can be applied to any camera. Open the profile with a text editor and look for  crs:CameraModelRestriction="whatever"  Set this to  crs:CameraModelRestriction=""

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Short answer is no. You can't and you shouldn’t.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IF, the cameras used the same sensor, and the same processor, if this was just a matter of a new model out using same tech, you could, that would involve a Metadata hack of the file.

As they are different sensors, this would not work, it would if actually pulled off provide very crappy results.

You sometime see this in camera specific forums when a new model comes out that has the same sensor and processor as a camera already supported in ACR. But not for a completly new rig with a different sensor, and/or a different processor (will a different processor always accompanies a differnet sensor)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Loftus  wrote

Perhaps an opps moment.

By Camera Profile, are you refering to a Camera Matching Profile (Basic tab/Profile) a third party Profile preset (same general location) or a Develop Preset?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Loftus  wrote

The Sony A7R II and A7R III use the exact same sensor with no other differences that would affect actual raw file image rendering in LR. So yes you can use the A7R II profiles with your A7R III by converting them using Adobe DNG Profile Editor. I just tried it using the Adobe Standard profile and the Image rendering is identical.

1) Scroll down here Digital Negative (DNG), Adobe DNG Converter | Adobe Photoshop CC  to the DNG Profile Editor (DPE) download links and install it.

2) Export a Sony A7R III ARW file to DNG file format and open the DNG file in DPE.

3) In the Color Tables tab 'Base Profile' selector navigate to the user profiles folder at the below link and select your A7RII profile you want to convert.

4) Then go to File> Export and give the file a unique name (PROFILENAME_A7RII Converted) and save it in the same folder below.

5) Restart LR to load the new profile. It will appear in the Profile Browser in the folder named 'Profiles.' You can make it a favorite by clicking on star icon so it appears in the 'Profiles' selector.

Windows—C: \ Users \ [your username] \ AppData \ Roaming \ Adobe \ CameraRaw \ CameraProfiles

Mac—Macintosh HD / Users / [your username] / Library / Application Support / Adobe / CameraRaw / CameraProfiles

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Todd+Shaner  wrote

The Sony A7R II and A7R III use the exact same sensor with no other differences that would affect actual raw file image rendering in LR.

The sensor may be the same, the results are not:

How can Sony A7r iii get more dynamic range than A7r ii from the same sensor? - Photography Stack Ex...

Best to build a custom profile for the specific sensor IN the specific camera than hack an older one not intend for the newer one.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thedigitaldog  wrote

Best to build a custom profile for the specific sensor IN the specific camera than hack an older one not intend for the newer one.

I totally agree with you that the best way to create a custom profile is using that specific camera's output raw file.

thedigitaldog  wrote

The sensor may be the same, the results are not:

How can Sony A7r iii get more dynamic range than A7r ii from the same sensor? - Photography Stack Ex...

It's doubtful the dynamic range extension (+0.8 F stops) provided by the improved A/D electronics would be detectable in most image files.

Using the A7R II Adobe Standard profile as the base profile produced identical rendering with the A7R III ARW test file I used. So the tone curve and color matrices are identical for both models. Because of this I doubt the A7R III rendering will be different with the A7R II converted camera profile. It's not something I would normally advocate, but in this case (identical sensors and same camera manufacturer). It can't hurt to try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Identical rending, meaning an average of deltaE of less than 1?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Loftus  wrote

Ok, I am completely confused. I suspect I first read this wrong. And I should have asked a few questions.

1. What version of Lightroom  are you running? If it v6.11, update to 6.14 to get the A7R III support. If you are running the subscription, then both cameras are supported. Cameras supported by Camera Raw

2. Are you talking about the Camera Matching profiles? If you are running old LR then thats down in the Calibration panel (although not called that). if new LR Classic CC 7.23 or newer its up in the Basic Panel, within Profile.

So, please accomplish the following

In LR, click on Help, click on System Information, click on Copy. Paste into response, along with your clarification.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Todd's answer is the correct one if the profile is a .dcp profile. I was just going to post the exact procedure he mentions after reading the original post but he was faster (and more thorough). I would guess that the original poster bought one of the old-fashioned creative presets such as those for film simulation that several companies offered or for other creative effects. Those presets used to come with camera-specific .dcp files. If that is the case, the OP would hardly be bothered by small deltaE values but is just attempting to achieve a certain look. Of course we don't know whether this is one of those profiles but probably not a bad guess.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What profile isn't a .DCP profile?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those that are xmp of course. See JohanElzenga's answer: Re: Using Camera Profiles from a different model

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are  two types of profiles now: DCPs and the newer XMP-based ones. In terms of the newer XMP based profiles, they specify a base DCP. For the vast majority of them, including those made by third parties, that base DCP will be Adobe Standard. So the first consideration is that XMP Profiles are built on top of DCPs and extend the DCP profile.

The question becomes; base DCP camera model specific or agnostic?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And the OP is not currently involved, so we are not able to clarify what profiles are involved. if it were the DCP ones, and the OP had say LR Classic CC v 8.1 (perhaps even as early as 7.3) then modifying DCP profiles would be moot, as both cameras the OP listed have them in LR.

I, for one, misread what was being stated and asked, got off on the wrong track, may still be on the wrong track.And compounded that by answering the wrong question with the wrong answer.

We need feedback from the OP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again, these are likely to be commercially bought profiles like the VSCO

film simulation ones. Those are camera specific .dcp profiles. If you want

to use these on other cameras you either have to buy a new set or do this

trick. This is exactly how these folks generate the profiles in the first

place. Doesn’t matter if you are on Classic 8 or on an earlier Lightroom.

It is clear that the OP’s Lightroom supports the camera, they just can’t

select this third-party profile.

A lot of people have these profiles. They come bundled with these preset

packages that people buy online (100 awesome Lightroom presets for all your

wedding needs!) and are an integral part of the look these presets

generate. Nowadays these are much easier generated from a LUT in a way that

makes them camera agnostic but the old style ones are still prevalent. I

see these packages all the time installed on students’ machines that come

to my Lightroom classes that I teach once in a while. They’re quite the

cottage industry.

I don’t know if this is it but the description makes it definitely sound

like that.

On Thu, Jan 24, 2019 at 8:34 PM davidg36166309 <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2019 Jan 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yeah it is just an old pack of camera presets that is no longer supported. I was talking about camera specific dcp profiles.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines