• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Using same catalogs for same photos, but in different locations?

Participant ,
Dec 19, 2021 Dec 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I use LR (Win10) on two PCs alternately (due to two work locations) and want to manage my photos stored in OneDrive (Business). 

Problem: the paths to the OneDrive folder with the photos are different on the two PCs:

• c:\users\my name\OneDrive - xxx\dig
  • d:\OneDrive - xxx\dig

Any chance to work with the same catalog by not reassigning the paths each time?

Thanks!

mycc

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I don't use OneDrive so I don't know if this is possible, but if you can change the location of OneDrive on one PC to match the location on the other PC, you're done.

Otherwise, the process of re-assigning paths is not difficult or time consuming, probably much less than a minute of effort. I realize it can be annoying to constantly do this, but really its a pretty trivial task.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, same paths would be the easiest solution.

Unfortunately the disk (SDD + HDDs) and partition structure are different. And LR converts the global variable %onedrive% (which I use e.g. in the favorite path list of my file manager) into real paths. It would have been another solution.

But, well, than I have to reassign the paths after "a change of the PC" each time – like I just did.

Thanks for your reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately the disk (SDD + HDDs) and partition structure are different. And LR converts the global variable %onedrive% (which I use e.g. in the favorite path list of my file manager) into real paths. It would have been another solution.

So, essentially, your decisions are causing the problem, and it is possible except for your decisions. Not sure why any of the above is necessary, but I'm sure you have good reasons. Not sure why the partition structure makes a difference either. Still, (you may have done this already) you could try to figure out alternatives to your path usage that would work for both LrC and your other needs. Which is outside the scope of this forum, and certainly outside the scope of my knowledge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 20, 2021 Dec 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not my decision. But it's just not possible for me to keep the same structure on my home PC and my "at-work-station". Total different PCs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a "wag" - but perhaps you could create two virtual folders with the same virtual name (How do I create a persistent virtual folder on windows 10? - Super User).  It looks as if you can change the drive letter in the virtual drive name, but you'd have to experiment to see if this is so. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just using %onedrive% instead of absolute paths would be a charming, as flexible solution.

But my deciscion is: working instead of further experiments ; )

-> I will assign the folder path each time I switch the PC. Tomorrow this will be the case ...

Greetings from home (office)!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 22, 2021 Dec 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

... even https://www.techrepublic.com/article/how-to-assign-a-drive-letter-to-onedrive-for-business/ does not work for me.

But just assigning a network drive to my local (!) Onedrive path works – hopefully on my "home computer", too ...

e.g.: \\localhost\c$\Users\xxx\OneDrive -xyz

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 23, 2021 Dec 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Oh, no!

Unbelievable! I can't open a catalog from my assigned path. Trying to open within LR:

mycc_0-1640276978141.png

→ LR does not recognize that the files are on my local devices. 😞

Hmm, another alert: after a double click on the catalog file:

mycc_1-1640277140839.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines