• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Viewing Focus Mode in Metadata?

Enthusiast ,
Jun 01, 2022 Jun 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows PC, Windows 11 Pro, Lightroom Classic (whatever's current)

I use the focus shift (focus stack, image stack) function on my Nikon D850 to sometimes capture sets of images.  I noticed that in PIE (Photo Information Extractor) they have a field called "Focus Mode" and it shows values like "AF-C, AF-S, Manual", and when I capture a stack it's set to "Fshift".

I haven't found an equivalent field in the Lightroom Metadata display to show this information.  Am I missing it, in which case can somebody tell me what it's called so I can add it to the default customization, or does Lightroom not make this information available?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nikon's Focus Mode is a Nikon-specific field stored in the EXIF MakerNotes metadata section (where most cameras store non-standard manufacturer-specific fields).  In general, LR only displays industry-standard fields, not MakerNotes.

You could use the Metadata Viewer plugin to display all such manufacturer-specific fields. You could use AnyFilter plugin to filter and drill-down by Focus Mode:

johnrellis_0-1654101605079.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply.  Is focus distance and subject distance the same kind of thing - manufacturer specific?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Focus Distance is manufacturer-specific, while Subject Distance is an industry-standard EXIF field. You can add Subject Distance to the Default tagset in the Metadata panel by clicking the Customize button at the bottom of the panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting.  I've never been able to get LrC to display a subject distance for any of my Nikon cameras.  D300, D500, D8XX - no subject distance.  The Show Focus Points plug-in does, but I never get a distance from Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[This post contains formatting and embedded images that don't appear in email. View the post in your Web browser.]

The Show Focus Points plugin is accessing proprietary MakerNotes to show the points and probably gets the focus distance from there too.

In my test catalog of over 1100 photos  from 108 cameras, only 8 photos have the EXIF field Subject Distance (first column), and only 6 of those have valid distances, which LR correctly reads into its Subject Distance field in the catalog (second column):

johnrellis_2-1654132063058.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like the subject distance doesn't work very well in Lightroom. At least not for what I'm shooting or what you're shooting.

Is the filter above something in Lightroom or is it something separate?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Sounds like the subject distance doesn't work very well in Lightroom."

It's not a LR-specific issue -- most cameras aren't setting the EXIF subject distance field in the photo.

The screenshots show the use of the Any Filter plugin.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 24, 2023 Jun 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Nikon NX Studio (free download) shows a lot more exif metadata than Lightroom/Photoshop, including AF mode and AF area.  Useful for reference before continuing editing in Lr

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines