• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Want new folder on ext HD with Photo folder already on it. How?

New Here ,
May 25, 2021 May 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm reorganizing my folders. Right now all photos are in one Folder plus many s/f on ext HD. I want to move photos from Folder to Another folder on same ext HD, but I first have to somehow create Another. LR isn't letting me. It tells me this often without explanation. This shouldn't be so hard. Please send help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 25, 2021 May 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The 'trick' is to do all this moving within LR itself. It can move, rename, create folders; virtually all the functionality of the Finder but doing so within LR allows it to 'know' what you've done and where everything resides. LR should have no issues creating a new folder itself unless you don't have permissions or a similar restriction. Be useful to know your OS. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 26, 2021 May 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version of the Mac OS?

Which exact version of LR?

What is the exact wording of any error message you are getting.

Using Finder, check the drive and folders for READ and WRITE privs. 

If LR is not letting you create the folder, you can do so with Finder.

Worst case scenario, you can move the photos with Finder then so a "Find missing files" in Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 27, 2021 May 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How are you trying to create a folder? Please explain, step-by-step, leaving nothing out.

The method I recommend is to move the entire folder in your operating system, and then point LrC to the new location of the folder via these instructions: http://www.computer-darkroom.com/lr2_find_folder/find-folder.htm

Moving the folder in Lightroom Classic should also work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 27, 2021 May 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Another solution is by selecting all of the files you want to move to a different folder, you must do this within Lightroom. In library module open the folder tab so you can see your ext Harddrive. Right click on folders and sub folders and make sure "show parent foler is selected."  You can than right click on external harddrive and you have a option to create a new folder. Make new folder, than a widow comes up and you have the option to move selected photos to new folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines