• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What is the difference between Sequence # & Image # in Export > Rename > Custom?

Engaged ,
Feb 17, 2024 Feb 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Export > File Naming > Custom in the Sequence & Date group in the Filename Template Editor you can insert Sequence # and/or Image #. What is the difference between the two? In my limited experience they are the same. Thanks.

Bill

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 17, 2024 Feb 17, 2024

The difference is that Sequence lets you choose a starting number each time, while Image # just provides a sequential number that always starts at the same number.

From The Filename Template Edit and the Text Template Editor in Adobe Help:

NumberingSpecifies three types of numbering: Import, which is a sequential number for each import operation; Image, which sequentially numbers each photo that has been imported into the catalog; and Sequence, which numbers each photo in sequence, lettin

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First of all, the choice is "Sequence" or "Original File Number"

When you are exporting a group of images and select sequence, it will name those exported files sequentially, i.e. 001 through 005. When you select original file number, the file name will include the file number as originally imported (or renamed in LrC if you have done that).

You can see that for yourself in the filename example shown in the export dialog. From the dropdown choices, Choose "XXX Sequence" and then choose "XXX Original File Number". You will see the example file name change, reflecting your choice.

I think it might be possible that if you are starting to export images that are originally named "XXXX 0001" and choose "Sequence" starting with 0001, it might appear to be the same.

Ken Seals - Nikon Z 9, Z 8, 14mm-800mm. Computer Win 11 Pro, I7-8700K, 64GB, RTX3070TI. Travel machine: 2021 MacBook Pro M1 MAX 64GB. All Adobe apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think we are talking about different things. This is what I see in the Filename Template Editor drop-down.

LRC Export.jpg

My question is, what is the difference between Sequence # and Image # in the above list? For every image I have tried they are the same. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I don't use that. Some else will have to explain. I looks like it's just defining how many digits in the numbers. Give some of them a try to see what it does.

Ken Seals - Nikon Z 9, Z 8, 14mm-800mm. Computer Win 11 Pro, I7-8700K, 64GB, RTX3070TI. Travel machine: 2021 MacBook Pro M1 MAX 64GB. All Adobe apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The difference is that Sequence lets you choose a starting number each time, while Image # just provides a sequential number that always starts at the same number.

From The Filename Template Edit and the Text Template Editor in Adobe Help:

NumberingSpecifies three types of numbering: Import, which is a sequential number for each import operation; Image, which sequentially numbers each photo that has been imported into the catalog; and Sequence, which numbers each photo in sequence, letting you choose a new Start Number each time you import. (This element is not available in the Filename Template Editor when exporting photos.) Specify the starting Import and Image numbers in the File Handling tab of the Catalog Settings dialog box.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

oops, this is for export not import - just checking again

I think the renaming templates / tokens do treble-duty for import / export / renaming in place, but the "counter" functionality that carries over an incrementing image# within this whole Catalog, does not apply for Export. I don;t know about this for in-place renaming (F2). Thus the filenaming format produced always looks the same, but in the case of export, not reflecting prior exports that have happened.

This is probably just as well since multiple exports and re-exports may happen over time from the same image, for various reasons. Often we actively want exports to overwrite each other (correctively) and imposing a new unique number in their filenames each time would frustrate that. The same objection applies to Sequence number too - unless the same images were always being all overwritten together and in the same order. I suppose a Collection might permit the latter to be managed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 18, 2024 Feb 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

to clarify, when exporting Image# resets itself for each export batch - the same as Sequence# does.

but when importing, these are different since though Sequence# resets its count for each new batch, Image# continues on from whatever count it has accumulated so far, when processing prior imports.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines