• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What new features in Lightroom 6 ?

Engaged ,
Mar 04, 2014 Mar 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With Adobe Photoshop Lightoom 6 expected to be released later this year, what new featured would you like to see in the new version ?.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 27, 2015 Feb 27, 2015

Robert Frost wrote:

Isn't it about time this thread was closed, and a new one opened for LR7?

Bob Frost

Bit hard to know what to ask for in Lightroom 7 when 6 is not out yet....

But quite happy to lock this...

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 415 Replies 415
LEGEND ,
May 21, 2014 May 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Paul,

I should have been more clear:

I wasn't suggesting ACDSee as an alternative to Lightroom, but as a sample implementation of toning which gives more control over regional brightness without losing regional contrast (which is the problem with a tone curve that Lr's basic sliders seeks to solve).

Rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 22, 2014 May 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Understood, Ty

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 28, 2014 May 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rob is right here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 26, 2014 May 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Face Recognition, Performance 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Enhance brush's auto-mask mode - current implementation usually does not work well enough to use.

(or if too hard to adequately improve auto-masking brush, come up with another approach which accomplishes same goal...)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Improve sharpness masking too - current implementation either masks 100% or 0% (in various local regions I mean, when masking is set to a non-zero value, say 50) which makes it hard to get enough without getting too much. For example, if mask is set fairly low (so subjects are adequately sharpened), there will be a noticeable mix of sharpened and unsharpened sky, but if mask set high enough to mask all sky sharpening, then too much of the other subject(s) will be unsharpened...

Personally, I would love to see edginess be a factor in general auto-masking technology, so there would be no need for a separate sharpening mask: i.e. one could do any adjustments (including sharpening) based on smoothness of region, as well as hue, saturation, luminence, ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 27, 2014 May 27, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1.It will be nice to have a better noise filter and the sharp is still bad compared with other software in the same are of competition.If we apply 50% , the sharp is not really sharp but it is introducing allot of noise.Compare with the other photo editing alternative that I am using where I can go 2X more sharpener than LR5 and stil not have 50% of that noise that LR5 introduce even if shapt is only 30% applied.

2.It will be nice to have a Gaussian blur brush because the Clarity knob set to - (minus) is not giving a pro level of blur.

3.It will be nice to have a Color Curve brush like other similar software s

4.The liquifiy brush from photoshop is a must in LR to make LR great.

5.The vignetting must me drag and drop.easy to be moved left right up down.

7.when you star brushing and the settings for all the knobs are set to ZERO it will be nice to see the mask and when adjusting 1 lider (like exposure) the mask will auto disappear like in ACDSEE pro

8.The 2 sliders (1 for Highlights and 1 for shadows) are not enough. For ex Acdsee pro  they have 8 sliders for highlights and 8 for shadows from gray to pure white .Is hard to understand why we need 8 until u have it and use it.It is 10 times better than Curves.

9 faster way to edit 1 picture by double clink on the picture.Some times we have jest 1 picture on the USAb to edit and we spad 30 sec just going to the import and cataloging process.It is time consuming

10 Adding shortcuts for presets or macro functions. Most of the pro editors will love to use any midi controller or game controller to add macro keys to different pressers but the LR does not have the option to add a shortcut key combination to presets.We can increase time up to 4X by using keys controller for presets.The Paddy software was able to do the interface up to version LR4 but from 5 maybe Adobe will take it serious and add that option for us.

11 an app that will let us to create buttons wit custom name and functions(for presets and adjustments) for android tablets or ipad will be very popular and used and most of the pro editors  will purchase this app

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

good ideas acidu, but perhaps you will allow me to make some suggestions for the mean time (forgive if you already know all of this):

1. If sharpened noise is a problem, turn sharpening detail down (and if you have noise reduction applied, turn NR detail up to make up for lost sharpening detail). And if you don't mind how masked and unmasked regions play together, turn masking up.

2. Local Sharpness = -51 to -100 will blur ( a real blur, unlike negative clarity ). local sharpness -1 to -50 just masks global sharpening effect.

5. Use circular gradients for vignetting and you can easily move around & rotate...

9. just drag photo from usb device and drop in library grid, then click import, then press 'D' - you should be able to cut those 30 seconds down to 5 or so.

~R.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rob thanks for that. I always learn such valuable tips from you.

My biggest criticism of Adobe is never giving these valuable tips anywhere (at least anywhere easy to find, because I can never find them).

I love this from you and is noted:

If sharpened noise is a problem, turn sharpening detail down (and if you have noise reduction applied, turn NR detail up to make up for lost sharpening detail).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Rob for your answer.

1-I always use the same technique as you mention at the point 1 regarding noise and sharp detail slider.Yes it is helping a bit, but until the noise will be base on fractal technology we are looked in this issue.

2-What is wired for me(but it seams to be on purpose made like this) as you mention, If I go Local sharpness from -1 to -49 almost nothing and from -49 to -51 it pushing to much blur in 2 steps.It will be nice if the slider in not linear, to be at least logarithmic increasing.Many time I want a minus local sharpness in between -51 and -52 that .many time it seams that -50 is almost nothing and -52 is already too much.

5-Because the photos are in a square shape I like to use a square vignette 90% of the time, otherwise the vignetting looks cheap on the corners. This is the reason why the circular gradient it is not usable for me and for other pro, except when we try to create a special effect time to time.The drag and drop option for vignetting must be in the Post-crop vignetting box, along with a randomizing slider that will make the vignette shape not a perfect circle or a perfect square.

9-regarding the drag and drop importing, when press import button I already have to spend some time specifying where I want the catalog to be created.Let me tell you why Germans from ACDSEE find a quick way to do this.

Most of us when download the pictures from camera we don't use the LR import button.Pro people are organized, and they like to copy the CR2 to a place like Clients/2014/May/date+client name then we open Lightroom and import from there as DNG files and create a catalog, specify teh destination for catalog and the folder destination fro DNg to be inported.

The guys from acdsee make this quick even if you have 1 photo on the usb ot desktop or 1000 pics.For exemple if I have a folder on my usb with 3 pics when I double click on the 1 pic ACdsee auto open that pic in 0.5 sec(depending on computer) and you can star editing and when you jump to next one ACdsee auto save like LR the pictures but with no need of save metadata for all the pics after all editing is done like in LR.More than that always Acdsee auto create a folder inside the same folder with copy of the original photo.If I will edit a jpg pic I don't have to think about creating a catalog or where to import.I just edit a picture and i I send it to someone with no acdsee installed they will see my pict exactly as I edited without the need for me to save metadata or any other complicated tasks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

acidu wrote:

Thank you Rob for your answer.

You're welcome, although I'm wondering if it helped .

acidu wrote:

1-I always use the same technique as you mention at the point 1 regarding noise and sharp detail slider.Yes it is helping a bit, but until the noise will be base on fractal technology we are looked in this issue.

I adore Lr's sharpening (except for issues with masking implementation) and noise reduction - it's better than any other raw converter, in my opinion, but I agree: it's not designed for very strong sharpening - more for "capture" sharpening as some like to call it. If you think another raw converter is better, I'd like to know which one(s).

acidu wrote:

2-What is wired for me(but it seams to be on purpose made like this) as you mention, If I go Local sharpness from -1 to -49 almost nothing and from -49 to -51 it pushing to much blur in 2 steps.It will be nice if the slider in not linear, to be at least logarithmic increasing.Many time I want a minus local sharpness in between -51 and -52 that .many time it seams that -50 is almost nothing and -52 is already too much.

I agree with you about the blur - it's better than nothing and better than negative clarity, but still leaves much to be desired - fingers crossed for Lr6.

Another improvement to blur - ability to add grain or simulated noise. One of my problems with blurring is that it looks unnatural when the rest of the photo has a little grit n' grain but the blurred region is smooth as glass..

acidu wrote:

5-Because the photos are in a square shape I like to use a square vignette 90% of the time, otherwise the vignetting looks cheap on the corners. This is the reason why the circular gradient it is not usable for me and for other pro, except when we try to create a special effect time to time.The drag and drop option for vignetting must be in the Post-crop vignetting box, along with a randomizing slider that will make the vignette shape not a perfect circle or a perfect square.

Gotcha. One thing you might consider is using paint instead of radial gradient - keep a bunch of dummy photos with different aspect ratio / dimensions, with paint applied, for copying and pasting (or syncing) if that would help. Also, you can do square vignettes using overlapped linear gradients. I realize you are after something more convenient which scales with the crop, but I thought these ideas might at least be fodder for more brainstorming... (neither of us has much influence over decision-makers at Adobe).

acidu wrote:

9-regarding the drag and drop importing, when press import button I already have to spend some time specifying where I want the catalog to be created.Let me tell you why Germans from ACDSEE find a quick way to do this.

Most of us when download the pictures from camera we don't use the LR import button.Pro people are organized, and they like to copy the CR2 to a place like Clients/2014/May/date+client name then we open Lightroom and import from there as DNG files and create a catalog, specify teh destination for catalog and the folder destination fro DNg to be inported.

Are you really creating catalogs when you import? If so, you are going against the grain - try with only one catalog..

PS - I'm familiar with ACDSee (been using it since the internet first went public) - I still use it for managing trees exported from Lightroom. I understand the hurdle of importing in Lightroom.

If importing is too much of a hurdle though, then there is room for improvement in your process. I use Ottomanic Importer for importing, and a combination of AuxBackup and TreeSyncPublisher for backing up photos/xmp, but even without plugins you should be able find a way to more quickly begin working on new photos.. Don't get me wrong - I understand your request for Lightroom to better accommodate you, so you don't have to go out of your way to accommodate Lightroom - still, perhaps these words will spark an idea you'd not've otherwise had - and I won't take offense if you ignore them..

~R.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Rob for your long response and for your time.

I agree that for raw files LR have a better raw reading codec than Acdsee 7 pro.

Tank you for all of your suggestion.Great idea with spare photos just for sync.I use to save in the same way presets for ACDSEE and give to others on some  photos.I will do that , by brushing on some pics and sync with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

acidu wrote:

Thank you Rob for your long response and for your time.

You're welcome (and thank you too).

acidu wrote:

I agree that for raw files LR have a better raw reading codec than Acdsee 7 pro.

ACDSee uses a slightly enhanced version of dcraw for conversion. (and as you probably already know: Lr uses Adobe's - homemade from scratch).

~R.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Personally, I miss the old versions of the picked and reject flag which was attached to the collection (when you activated the pick flag for a pictures, it was activated in the collection and this collection only).

However, I understand the new functionality is of some use for certain peoples.

I think a parameter in the catalog parameter should set which way you want to use the pick and reject flags (new way or old way).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the pick tool from the White Balance also in the Library module would be a plus as it is one of the functionality I frequently use when I sort photos.

It would save a few trip back and forth to the development module.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I often struggle with metadata as I have the same information used in several IPCT/EXIF fields.

(I am a concert photographer and  put the artist name in the Title field but I also have to build a

description field containing the name of the artist, the venue and the date)

To have Metadata preset based on variable would be a plus as I would construct my preset saying

that the title field con taints the value of the variable %ARTIST%, the description field contains %ARTIST%+" "+%VENUE%+" "+%DATE%+"My copyright".

When I would apply my preset (for exemple at import), a windows would ask me to give the values for my Variable and

apply fill the fields properly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 29, 2014 May 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom CC is likely to receive a major version upgrade on June 18

http://petapixel.com/2014/05/27/adobe-will-revealing-next-evolution-creative-cloud-june-18th-keynote...

Hopefully whats announced will eventually find it way into a perpetual version of Lightroom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 29, 2014 May 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Bitm07 for the heads up.

Unfortunately a great deal of us (notwithstanding the kiss a*s crowd of Adobe flunkies in here) will be underwhelmed by any CC announcements having avowed not to be forced aboard the Adobe gravy train.  The only positive feature of CC is how the price has been falling (reluctantly) to a more realistic value.  Despite this you would be a rash man (or woman) to not expect price rises when you have 'put all your eggs in one basket'.

Personally I was looking forward to Lightroom 6 though Lightroom itself (apart from the Print Module) has a fairly naff interface compared with Photoshop 'proper'.   Interestingly I purchased Photoshop Elements 12 for a non-technical member of my family starting out in digital imaging and thought what a great interface that had in comparison to Lightroom!  I do not hardly use Lightroom for much at all apart from printing occasionally not from lack of knowledge of its features etc but just as it falls between too stools.   Adobe needed to create something to fill the gap between Elements and Photoshop but has since brought Elements forward such that LR is largely (for me) redundant.   Nevertheless if a Lightroom 6 appears (as opposed to Lightroom CC) then I might well avail myself of an upgrade if any goto features are introduced but I somehow doubt that ........

....... I await the impartial Adobe flunkie tirades .... lol  (like Big Brother, Adobe tolerates no dissention).

Ian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 30, 2014 May 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe needed to create something to fill the gap between Elements and Photoshop but has since brought Elements forward such that LR is largely (for me) redundant.  

A perpetually licence product that fill the yawning specification gap between the beginner orientated Photoshop Elements and Photoshop CC would be great.  Sadly I can't see it happening as it would adversely effect Adobe's subscription numbers.  I'm just praying that Lightroom 6 if/when it appears isn't subscription only, otherwise i'm going to have to make a decisions on whether to join the grave train or not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 02, 2014 Jun 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like Tethered capture with a fully featured Liveview interface please

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 04, 2014 Jun 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The following features are included in the Adobe Photoshop Camera RAW 8.5 for CC release candidate, so are all but certain to be incorporated into future versions Lightroom.

:

• Modify Graduated and Radial Filter masks with a brush:
    • After adding or selecting a Graduated or Radial Filter instance, click the new 'Brush' mode (next to existing 'New' and 'Edit' mode buttons) to reveal brush controls that allow you to modify the selected mask.
    • Use the 'Brush +' and 'Brush -' icon buttons in the brush controls pane to add to or erase from the selected mask.
    • Press the 'Clear' button to remove all brush modifications from the currently selected mask.
    • When a Graduated or Radial Filter instance is selected, Shift-K can be used to enter and leave brush modification mode.
  • Mask visualization is now available for the Graduated and Radial Filters. Use the Mask checkbox at the bottom of the Local Corrections pane or press 'Y' to toggle the mask overlay.
  • Added new Per-Panel Preview default toggle
    • If the current panel's settings are not the ACR defaults, clicking the new Per-panel Toggle Button will reset the panel to the ACR defaults.
    • Clicking the button again will restore the previous settings.
    • This is a standalone feature, separate from the new Preview controls
    • The changes are applied to the main view; if you have both the Before and After panes visible, changes will appear in the After pane.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bitm07 wrote:

future versions Lightroom.

Presumably Lr5.5 (ACR's major version is +3 ahead of Lr, but dot version numbers are in sync with Lr).

The brush mods to graduated filters will be nice .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rob Cole wrote:

bitm07 wrote:

future versions Lightroom.

Presumably Lr5.5 (ACR's major version is +3 ahead of Lr, but dot version numbers are in sync with Lr).

The brush mods to graduated filters will be nice .

Given that dot releases (other than point 1) rarely including anything new other than camera and lens support,  LR6 would be my guess.

I'm eagerly anticipating the new graduated filter bush controls, they should be of great benefit to landscape photographers like myself

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 09, 2014 Jun 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be great to sync photos from iPhone  (photo stream) directly to lightroom as in Aperture.

Regards,

Pablo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 09, 2014 Jun 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pablo that is now possible with an iPad and has been stated that iPhones are next...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines