• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What new features in Lightroom 6 ?

Engaged ,
Mar 04, 2014 Mar 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With Adobe Photoshop Lightoom 6 expected to be released later this year, what new featured would you like to see in the new version ?.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 27, 2015 Feb 27, 2015

Robert Frost wrote:

Isn't it about time this thread was closed, and a new one opened for LR7?

Bob Frost

Bit hard to know what to ask for in Lightroom 7 when 6 is not out yet....

But quite happy to lock this...

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 415 Replies 415
Guide ,
Jun 09, 2014 Jun 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to see selective editing based on zone regions. For example selecting a particular zone, or multiple zones, and applying local adjustments.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By "zone" I assume you mean "luminosity range"? I'd like "auto-masking" to be far more sophisticated, so we can really adjust exactly what we want and only what we want, and have it be "perfectly" seamless. So far, Adobe has made a feeble attempt via the auto-masking brush, and Nik software has done it best via U-points. I really hope Adobe faces the challenge of a "signature" auto-masking technology which blows the world away and sets them apart as the true leaders in imaging technology.

If it's as simple as defining zones with sliders, I hope they at least include saturation and hue along with luminosity, at a minimum - but it must be paintable, i.e. so we can say:

Wherever there is paint, *and* the zone criteria are met, then make the specified adjustments..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rob,

Sure I mean "luminosity Zones" and I guess, to take it a step further, applying zone and local adjustment edits based on "layers" ... by that I mean that, for example, we could apply noise reduction to color (chroma) noise in highlights & mid-tones, then apply sharpening layers to highlights, mid-tones and adjust hue and saturation for individual "zones". It would be nice to have these adjustments applied with blending characteristics and opacity.

I agree with your comment on Auto-Mask as it woefully inadequate compared to other products ... maybe they seriously need to consider the implementation of  a layers concept.

Don.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BKKDon wrote:

maybe they seriously need to consider the implementation of  a layers concept.

Personally, I like the way "layers" are implemented now - where the paint pins essentially serve the same purpose as an adjustment layer in Photoshop, but without the UI complexity. I just think they need to implement selectivity, as you said, based on luminosity, but also based on hue and saturation and edginess (like sharpen mask)...

If we could say: let me paint this region, to define the geographical scope of the adjustment (instead of everything being circular as are Nik's u-points), but also let me specify, for the painted area, which colors it should affect and how light they need be to be effected, and whether it should affect already sharp areas, etc.. - then we'd be having things - all the best of auto-masking brush's potential and u-points combined, with none of the drawbacks of either - that's what I'm talkin' about.. .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jun 11, 2014 Jun 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Personally, I like the way "layers" are implemented now - where the paint pins essentially serve the same purpose as an adjustment layer in Photoshop

Agreed, better than NIK etc but wouldn't it be better if those "Pins" had a blending mode and the ability to order them as you liked to take advantage of multiple effects. Although LightZone isn't as sophisticated the layers/luminosity/blending is well implemented.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 12, 2014 Jun 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Software vouchers have posted the following statement on their website.  It pretty much sums up my suspicions and fears regarding Lightroom 6

With the surprising lack of the Lightroom 5.5 release candidate that we were all expecting to be released with the Camera Raw 8.5 from a few days ago, we have a strong suspicion that Lightroom 6 will be released at Adobe’s Creative Cloud relaunch/refresh launch event on June 16th (no LR beta expected this time as we have typically seen in previous releases!). Lightroom has become an important part of CC and the popular Photoshop+Lightroom subscription plan. However, based on what we’ve heard from several sources close to Adobe, we have a strong feeling, to our disappointment, that Lightroom 6 will be subscription-only. So if this is true, no upgrade will be available to version 6 unless you decide to pay a monthly fee for it. Adobe’s betting big on subscriptions and investors seem to like it (as seen in the stock price the two years). The new Lightroom for iPad app is also for CC subscribers only so this is probably just a prelude of what’s to come. Lightoom’s competition has dwindled as it appears that their largest competitor to Lightroom, Aperture, won’t be releasing any new versions anytime soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 12, 2014 Jun 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quote from Tom Hogarty (Lightroom Project Manager) on May 6, 2013:

http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2013/05/lightroom-and-the-creative-cloud.html

Q. Will Lightroom become a subscription only offering after Lightroom 5?

A. Future versions of Lightroom will be made available via traditional perpetual licenses indefinitely.

Of course that doesn't negate Adobe from offering two Lightroom products with different feature sets (stripped down Elements boxed product and CC product with more features). Just a guess.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 13, 2014 Jun 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

trshaner wrote:

Quote from Tom Hogarty (Lightroom Project Manager) on May 6, 2013:

http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2013/05/lightroom-and-the-creative-cloud.html

Q. Will Lightroom become a subscription only offering after Lightroom 5?

A. Future versions of Lightroom will be made available via traditional perpetual licenses indefinitely.

Of course that doesn't negate Adobe from offering two Lightroom products with different feature sets (stripped down Elements boxed product and CC product with more features). Just a guess.

That quote is over a year old, I would be sleeping easier if it was dated May this year

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 13, 2014 Jun 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"That quote is over a year old, I would be sleeping easier if it was dated May this year"

Some people wouldn't believe anything unless it was written in blood every 30 minutes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 18, 2014 Jun 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

john beardsworth Jun 13, 2014 5:57 AM (in response to bitm07)

"That quote is over a year old, I would be sleeping easier if it was dated May this year"

Some people wouldn't believe anything unless it was written in blood every 30 minutes.

Unfortunately, I'm not as confident as John.  Based on what they said and actually did with regards to upgrade to PS CS5, then PS CS6.  In both of those cases, Adobe said you have to upgrade before our deadline, or you'll forfeit your ability to upgrade.  And in both cases, their artificial deadline was later removed.  My point is, I no longer trust Adobe (and I used to).

Here is a direct quote from a pdf on Adobe's website from the 2014/6/17 Earnings Briefing for Analysts:

"Building on our strong Q2 momentum, tomorrow we will unveil a broad set of Creative Cloud innovations including desktop and mobile applications, new services and specialized offerings for key customer segments. In addition to targeting Creative Professionals and CS customers, we will expand the core Creative Cloud platform to target hobbyists and consumers including former Photoshop Elements and Photoshop Lightroom customers. We believe this addresses a larger market opportunity."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DanZemke wrote:

In addition to targeting Creative Professionals and CS customers, we will expand the core Creative Cloud platform to target hobbyists and consumers including former Photoshop Elements and Photoshop Lightroom customers. We believe this addresses a larger market opportunity."

A product called Photoshop and Premiere Elements Everywhere that includes subscription benefit has been listed on the Adobe website for week, it's therefore not surprising that they will be targeting the hobbyists and consumer with the Creative Cloud platform today. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess most hobbyists and consumers already know about CC and have rejected it?   Certainly $9.99 usually translates into £9.99 in UK despite a £ buying 1.7 $?

In the photographic clubs I haunt seems to be a majority of elements users with a few older people using old Photoshop versions (back to v7) or dubious unlicenced versions?  A couple have recently embraced LR5.  I know of no one who uses CC!

Most keen and expert hobbyist photographers seem quite happy with Photoshop CS5 or CS6 and see no good reason to go to CC whatever 'leveraging', 'integrating' and 'social networking' Adobe is trying to impress or sell us.

I started to watch tonights presentation but the style really makes me gag and turn-off so quickly.  Very reminiscent of modern money-based religious evangelical shows.  I do however await any useful announcements.

I just do not see hobbyists or consumers buying a CC licence and if they do .... not for long.   I could be wrong ......

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DumbMarine wrote:

I guess most hobbyists and consumers already know about CC and have rejected it? 

And you base that insight on what, exactly? Pretty much everyone I know has jumped all over Lr and Photoshop for - note - £8.78 a month.

Nuts not to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In today's Adobe Creative Cloud Launch Event it was stated that the $9.99 CC subscription cost for PS + LR is no longer a promotional offer, it's the price going forward. I'm sure somewhere down the road it will go up just like everything else we consume, but for now it is locked-in. For me the $9.99 subscription cost is reasonable, but I have perpetual license Design Standard CS6 and LR5 products and will continue to purchase LR upgrades as long as they are available. I don't need the "new" PS CC features discussed today and expect PS CS6 will serve me well until Adobe pushes LR to CC only or offers features in PS CC that are useful (to me). Just my opinion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

trshaner wrote:

In today's Adobe Creative Cloud Launch Event it was stated that the $9.99 CC subscription cost for PS + LR is no longer a promotional offer, it's the price going forward. I'm sure somewhere down the road it will go up just like everything else we consume, but for now it is locked-in. .

If Adobe had introduced the Photoshop CC at $10 a month I would have sign up straight away, however they introduced it at $19.99 a month.  This has put a doubt in my mind as to how much Adobe will be content to receive in the long term for what is now the $9.99 Creative Cloud Photography Plan (PS+LR etc).

Personally it would now take a longer fixed term contract than the 12 months announced today to persuade me to subscribe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can we no longer buy Lightroom other than through subscription?

If so i feel cheated. If i had known that from the very beginning i would never of chosen Lightroom in the first place.

I don't think I'd risk setting up direct debits because i always seem to get bank charges all the time for missed payments (I'm on benefits for a chronic pain condition and so my bank balance is rarely predictable or healthy).

So, if it is subscription only & i choose not to subscribe then i will no longer be able to open up all my catalogues that I've made once Lightroom 4 no longer installs on any future Windows versions.

Wish i hadn't bloody converted all my RAWs to DNG now too.

May as well start looking for alternatives (& trust them not to go subscription too)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pbeck1 wrote:

Can we no longer buy Lightroom other than through subscription?

Lightroom can be purchased by traditional perpetual licence or via subsciption

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

....Lightroom can be purchased by traditional perpetual licence or via subsciption

is that right?

I must be missing something then as i cant seem to see a way to buy Lightroom outright now on the Lightroom webpage. Can only see through subscription now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pbeck1 wrote:

i cant seem to see a way to buy Lightroom outright now on the Lightroom webpage. Can only see through subscription now.

Wow - I can't see any other way either. Perhaps the "pessimists" were right this time ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rob Cole wrote:

Pbeck1 wrote:

i cant seem to see a way to buy Lightroom outright now on the Lightroom webpage. Can only see through subscription now.

Wow - I can't see any other way either. Perhaps the "pessimists" were right this time ?

It's still available via the products page.  A link is below

Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't locate a FAQ or terms and condition page for the new $9.99 Creative Cloud Photography deal.  It was on the page where you signed up for the old deal but there's no sign of it there now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 19, 2014 Jun 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

trshaner wrote:

Posted today:

http://www.adobe.com/news-room/pressreleases/201406/061814AdobeCCPhotoPlan.html

No FAQ or terms and conditions there.  The full contents and revisions to the $9.99 bundle aren't stated, let alone the products small print

How are you supposed to make an informed without it ?.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No FAQ or terms and conditions there.  The full contents and revisions to the $9.99 bundle aren't stated, let alone the products small print

Not sure what you are looking for but this is at the bottom of the Adobe page General-terms

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BKKDon wrote:

Not sure what you are looking for but this is at the bottom of the Adobe page General-terms

Small print that is specific to the $9.99 product, as things not even basis information regarding the product you are signing up for is listed, such as what's included in the bundle, what happens if you cancel your subscription, how many computers can it be installed, what payments methods are available, how is payments is taken and all manner of other information that you would normally receive before signing a contact of this type.

I'm guessing that the answers are the same as for the previous $9.99 deal, for all but the first of those question but without any product specific terms there's no way of knowing for sure.  It would be insane to sign up for the deal without scrutinizing the contact details first.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines