• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What new features in Lightroom 6 ?

Engaged ,
Mar 04, 2014 Mar 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With Adobe Photoshop Lightoom 6 expected to be released later this year, what new featured would you like to see in the new version ?.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 27, 2015 Feb 27, 2015

Robert Frost wrote:

Isn't it about time this thread was closed, and a new one opened for LR7?

Bob Frost

Bit hard to know what to ask for in Lightroom 7 when 6 is not out yet....

But quite happy to lock this...

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 415 Replies 415
Community Expert ,
Sep 11, 2014 Sep 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

100k should not slow you down or force you to fragment control of your workflow into bonsai catalogues. I routinely work on one that is over 5 times that size, and the only thing that's slower is backing up, which is done in non-working time. See http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/400/kb400808.html and above all, optimise your catalogue every so often.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 17, 2014 Sep 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom should have an option that does not re-organize key words in alphabetical order.  Photographers submitting to agencies have to put the most relevant key words first.  When we use LR to keyword it automatically alphabetizes, rendering it useless for this task.  All we need is a box to check to "leave keywords in order as they appear". 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 18, 2014 Sep 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom should have an option that does not re-organize key words in alphabetical order. 

A number of people have requested this.  Please add your vote and opinion to this topic in the official feedback forum: Lightroom: Better keyword management.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 21, 2014 Sep 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

More than anything I'd like a more robust version control. Or at least just a way of adding notes to a "notepad" I get from hovering over an image so I can tell which version it is and I can keep notes of what I've done to the image. (And no... Not in the library module. In the develop module.)

I still want them to consolidate the library and develop modules though. Or consolidate all of them.

Maps could be off to the side somewhere. It's so little used.

Aperture had a near perfect integrated interface (except for the overdone database stuff) Do something like that!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not by me it isn't! It's a great feature, enabling me to find my image

locations from their GPS data. When you are touring out in the wild, it is

not always possible to know exactly where you are. It is also great for

giving talks, to show where images were taken. For me you could get rid of

the web module and all the social interaction plugins.

Bob Frost

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And I use the Web Module and Social Interaction plugins daily  - so you can't get rid of them.

The point here, Sadmyst, is that there are many things that many users depend on - you can't simply diminish them because you don't like them or use them. Library/Develop consolidation would likely require a complete new rewrite of the program.  That wouldn't be Lightroom 6, 7 or even 8. It would be a new product.  Aperture, in my opinion, did not have that great of an interface. But then you are entitled to your opinions too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps we should reopen the discussion about whether we should have the

option of turning off the modules we don't use. Last time i saw this

discussed, opinions were varied as to whether it would speed up LR or not. I

know I can disable individual modules by devious means, but a simple on/off

for each module might make some happy (not simply removing the title from

the bar). I always disable the plugins; that does speed LR up a bit.

Bob Frost

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You *can* turn off the modules you don't use, but it *won't* speed anything up, unless you got a wonked Lr.

Also, disabling plugins might make Lr start up a little faster, but normally it won't run any faster. Plugin code usually just sits on disk or in ram, waiting.. - just like module code which isn't being used.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I Didn't say "get rid of them"

When I said "off to the side" I meant they don't need their own module.

I could explain why 80% of Aperture had better UI and UX than. 90% of Lightroom but it would be a LOT of typing. What I want to see is consilidation and access to as many functions as possible without having to change "modules." And if you think that would mean the program would HAVE to be slow...

<points at aperture once again>

Yes Aperture might have been 10% slower overall but not having to seitch between modules constantly spee the overall workflow up by at least 30% so the point is moot.

Also Aperture didn't force a workglow order on you for efficiency. You could import, edit and organize all at the same time or "backwards" if you prefer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sadmyst wrote:

You could import, edit and organize all at the same time or "backwards" if you prefer.

I generally prefer doing things in "inspired order" too, as opposed to a prescribed order, so I'm all for the UI improvements which would better facilitate such workflow. That said, I predict ~NO major changes of this type will come soon, if ever, so I have my expectations for this type of change, low. - hope I'm wrong..

~R.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think this is your quote:

"2) The web panel is a joke. Either give us some real web tools or stop pretending you care about web and just get rid of it altogether."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes and I meant it. Ever seen idiocracy? It's like the phrase... "Lead, Follow or Get Out of the Way."

As explained in the movie the object is to embarrass them into actually doing something instead of throwing their hands up as they've clearly done with the web module.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same for the print module. It's braindead. Making you set manual bounds for your print like Pagemaker circa 1995. Pathetic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hang on; whats this LR 6 talk? i haven't worked out LR 5 yet

wish list

Basic HDR

Panoramas. (even for just a limit number of files)

being able to move sections within the develop module. Like move lens correction to the top for example.

fix the current bugs of course

different shapes for the radial tool

eraser in the grad tool------- all tools like the adjustment brush has

Don't really want to see layers in LR; thats for Photoshop IMO

an how to do ebook that comes with LR; maybe an optional extra ?????. But i still feel a proper old fashion book is a must for those just starting with LR

On line LR in Australia is the same price as the USA

And on a side note: I would love to see some rich smart whiz kid pick up aperture and run with it. Just so there is some composition .

all mostly wishful thinking; may be LR 7

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would think that Panoramas and HDR require layers, at least temporarily, for the blending portion, so if LR doesn’t have layers then it’s unlikely to have either of those two things. The CC Photographer’s Bundle for $10/month includes LR + PS so you can do the HDR and Panoramas in PS and adjust the result back in LR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Sep 22, 2014 Sep 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

all wishful thinking ssprengel. If LR just fixed the bugs and fine tuned what we already have would suit me. There has to come a time when nothing more that is sensible can be added, or LR will end up like modern cameras that have so much useless bells and whistles stuff to impress the uneducated. Or in another way; LR will become so big like photoshop with only a small part being used or usable by photographers

And yeah; add a liquify tool to the wish-list.  Although I don't do portraits now; that tool was so great when I had a client with a bum like the front of a cab-over Mack :eek: . Great tool for arty stuff also.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+1 Facial Recognition

Also better integration / publishing to existing Social Sites/Services such as Google+ Photos, Flickr, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please add custom fields. Aperture has had this feature since version 1, and it is very useful for tracking things like copyright registration info, usages, licensing history, releases, restrictions, infringements, etc. As a professional photographer who licenses my images, I need to track some important things, and it's ridiculous to have to use an external database to track such things, when Lightroom already has an internal database engine.

It's also nice to have a set of fields which will not be included with the file when it's exported along with all it's IPTC data. Some information is not appropriate to be included with embedded metadata.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 23, 2014 Sep 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom does not have this feature built-in, but it can be provided by a plugin, e.g.

robcole.com - CustomMetadata

I know you want it native - me too.. - but the plugin is an OK work-around for the mean time, in my opinion.

~R.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your response.

However, I doubt that the Aperture to Lightroom migration tool that Adobe is working on will support the migration of custom fields if they are not part of the native application. This is what I'm waiting for before I migrate my 250,000 image library. It is simply unacceptable for me to lose all my custom field data that I built in Aperture. The only migration solution that I've been able to find that will even recognize the custom fields, will map all the custom fields into a single IPTC field, which is also unacceptable to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

aafisher wrote: However, I doubt that the Aperture to Lightroom migration tool that Adobe is working on will support the migration of custom fields if they are not part of the native application. This is what I'm waiting for before I migrate my 250,000 image library.

Unfortunately, I agree with you that an Adobe migration tool is unlikely to support Aperture custom fields.   Adobe's LR migration from their own product, Photoshop Elements Organizer, has been mediocre at best.   Depending on the value you attach to your image library, you might consider engaging a contractor to do a custom migration for you, mapping the Aperture custom fields to LR custom metadata fields (via a plugin).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

|> "... is simply unacceptable."

I agree with John Ellis. Although it's conceivable Adobe might do "something" with custom fields, getting the data from "wherever" to a "preferred place" will probably require 3rd party support: app and/or plugin..

Reminder: this is a user2user forum. We may sympathize with your gripes about Adobe, but we can't do anything about them here (other than suggest workarounds..) - Adobe reads here too, but still they'll probably not see them buried this deep in this thread. If you want to make a feature request to Adobe, consider the feedback forum instead:

New topic for Photoshop Family

Be prepared for it to be disregarded - they tend to shoot for >50%, but <100%..

Note: the custom metadata plugin (referenced above) can import data from:

* XML

* CSV

(so if you can get the data in one of those formats..).

R

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

-Enable straighten tool when zoomed in.

-Make it so that when selecting the first point for straighten that the cursor is a bigger circle with transparent center so one can more easily see exactly where the starting point will be for the straighten. The current set up of a cross hair for the initial point that then turns into a tiny little transparent circle, with a tiny transparent circle for the second point is very hard for older eyes and is not very exacting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 06, 2014 Oct 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hoping LR does not go the way of subscription service.  I've already chosen a PS CS6 replacement and when CS6 doesn't work due to planned obsolescence, I'm getting away from Adobe altogether.  I can do almost all post processing via Nik's software, although a bit clunkier than PS, it's MUCH cheaper and the results are great.  Importing to LR is still painfully slow and some particular actions on large images are slow, even in LR5.  FWIW, I have a 2008 Mac pro w/ 14GB... Nik's software is fast compared to LR (and my catalogs are not large).

If LR remains a single, one-time price, I'd like to see Adobe enable panel separation for a second monitor.  Working full screen is much easier and enjoyable than having it surrounded by panels, even if they're on auto-hide.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 08, 2014 Oct 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a Plug in that shows you the focus point of your pictures.  It would be great to have this built in and turn it on or off with a keystroke.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines