• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why after so many years Lightroom cannot get the thumbnails view right?!

Explorer ,
Jun 23, 2019 Jun 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I mean, how hard is it for Adobe to make the thumbnails view GPU accelerated so that scrolling won't be as painfully slow and jerky as it is now on Mac hi-res displays? On a powerful Mac computer with a 5K dispay it is a torture to scroll through thumbnails - scrolling is anything but smooth! At the same time you go and open the built-in Apple Photos app, and the thumbnails scroll smooth and fast at the slightest slide over the Magic Mouse!

And how long will it take for Adobe to realize that such basic stuff is important?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this in Library ir Develop module?

If in Library module, in Grid or Loupe display?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 24, 2019 Jun 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This of course pertains to the Library Thumbnail Grid view.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's the key phrase

powerful Mac computer with a 5K dispay

Your Mac is obviously NOT powerful enough on a 5K display, or something (like a virus checker) is interfering. This is a common problem with 5K Macs, which in many cases were not designed to be powerful enough for LR (although they may be powerful enough for 99% of the other software out there).

And how long will it take for Adobe to realize that such basic stuff is important?

You should ask Adobe. We don't know the answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you missed the point about Apple Photos being smooth as butter. So my Mac IS powerful enough with 5K display to scroll through thumbnails!

There is the same stupid situation with Loop view being not accelerated, while the Edit view is! Just try zooming in while in Loop view - you get twitching jerky spasmatic enlargement, while in Develop module it is smooth.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Katrinochka  wrote

you missed the point about Apple Photos being smooth as butter. So my Mac IS powerful enough with 5K display to scroll through thumbnails!

There is the same stupid situation with Loop view being not accelerated, while the Edit view is! Just try zooming in while in Loop view - you get twitching jerky spasmatic enlargement, while in Develop module it is smooth.

LR is just a slow mess scrolling in Library, you're correct. At least compared to some many other products. Take a look at FastRawViewer which is how LR's library should work speed wise with raws. Same hardware, hugely faster at handling all previews.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sometimes Read/Write speed to and from External devices attached to store image files has reportedly slowed down such behaviour, but for the 5k iMac I have not seen many such reports here.

I am sure it is frustrating to witness that: perhaps you could post your a summary of your storage strategy so we could understand those factors in your workflow?

I'm using a couple of Macs with various NAS, Cloud and External devices and not noticed such issues . . .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 29, 2019 Jun 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you can't be serious about not noticing the issues. Perhaps, you should fire up Apple photos app first, scroll through thumbnails with your magic mouse and then try same thing in LR's grid view. Storage config is not relevant at all here, you can reproduce the issue 100% on built in Mac storage that goes like 2500 Mb/sec. As I said it is due to Adobe failing to implement GPU acceleration for the Grid and Loop view. In Develop module the acceleration is working (try zooming in on an image by mouse click in Develop vs Loop view, and tell me you fail to see the difference!).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 29, 2019 Jun 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes thumbnail scrolling is not good in LR even on the fastest machines. This is definitely a weakness and Adobe is slowly fixing issues related to this but we need more.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 08, 2019 Jul 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

So, you DO notice the issue on your Macs, don't you? Why did you initially write that you had no issues with that? I understand that Adobe tries to play down its faults but when users themselves start saying there are no issues when LR is literally FULL of issues I totally fail to follow.

You want examples beyond those I have already mentioned? here you go: You can also try adjusting the white balance slider and see that the preview refreshes like once per second or even slower. It used to be real-time as you move the slider, now you have to move, then stay put and wait till preview is updated. And it used to be realtime on much older slower Macs (with older LR releases)!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines