• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why is my brush displaying much larger than the slider specifies?

Participant ,
Feb 13, 2023 Feb 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On the screen, my brush is much larger than the slider indicates. On the attached screenshot, you can see that the brush is set to 30 pixels, but on the image display it's covering an area that's about 1300 pixels diameter. (The image is 4160 x 6240.)

I have the pointer size in Accesibility set to the smallest size. If I make it bigger, the display brush zoom is even more oversized. (And I’d really like to have the pointer on the large side for my aging eyes!) I've tried it with the graphics processor turned off and it makes no difference.

I'm using an M1MacBook Air with an Eizo 27" display, with native resolution 3840 x 2160 pixels (164 ppi).

I see that the brush stays the same size regardless of the zoom level set in the navigator. Should it change? Seems a bit confusing that when it's to 30 pixels it doesn't display 30 pixels wide. 

Thanks,
Russell

P.S. On a somewhat related matter, is there a way to establish default settings for the A and B brushes and the eraser, and then go back to those settings after you've changed them while editing the masks?

IMG_7695.png

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think that this number is not 30 pixels, but the percentage of the maximum size the brush can have. The slider cannot go beyond 100, which would be rather small if it were pixels. If you select 'Show Overlay', then you will see that the circle does represent the true size of the brush, however.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Adobe online help says: 

Size: Specifies the diameter of the brush tip in pixels.

It's probably not worth it to dig up what's really going on, and just look at the number as some relative amount, like the percentage you suggested.

Thanks,
Russell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please forward me a link to that statement so I can have it corrected.
Was it this one: https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/apply-local-adjustments.html 

Thanks!

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I will have the documentation team take a look. 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I could be wrong, but I believe that the maximum size of the brush (when set to 100) is the height of the develop window, and the current value is indeed a percentage of that. That would also explain why the size of the brush does not change with the zoom setting.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Makes sense. I was thrown off because some of Adobe's Lightroom documentation says “size” means the size of the brush "in pixels.” I've notified them of this error and they're going to turn it over to the documentation team.

Thanks,
Russell

503-956-8150

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines