• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why is Windows 8.1 not supported and why isn't the Map working any more?

Community Beginner ,
Dec 02, 2018 Dec 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why is Windows 7 supported if Windows 8.1 is not? I would like to know what exactly are the features that work in Windows 7 but not in Windows 8.1? Or is that just some marketing bullshit?

Year ago I bought a new processor by Intel and it said Windows 8.1 isn't supported and I can't install any updates to Windows. After installing an unofficial patch everything works fine and I haven't had any problems at all. There was absolutely no problem with the hardware or the software. It was only coded to check which version of Windows is running and artificially block the updates if it was the "wrong" version. So it was just Microsoft and Intel trying to force people to update to Windows 10. Does Adobe use the same tactics or have a same kind of agreement with Microsoft as Intel has?

I know Windows 8.1 is unpopular but I haven't had any problems with it and at the moment I don't have time to upgrade to Windows 10. After all Windows 8.1 is still supported by Microsoft until 2023. As a paying customer I'm very disappointed Adobe dropped Windows 8.1 even though it continues to support Windows 7. What is the great difference that makes new versions to run on Windows 7 but not on Windows 8.1? Could you provide some technical explanations and practical examples please? Not just some vague excuses like this: "To take advantage of the continued developments in hardware and software, Creative Cloud 2019 apps do not support some older OS versions."

I would even be happy to use the old version of Lightroom but when I'm trying to use the Map, it says it isn't supported any more on the old version. At least make the map working on old versions or explain why it is not possible. I know that I need to update my system at some point but I will do it when the time is right for me. I understand I don't get any new features before updating. But I don't like how companies like Adobe are forcing their customers to update by removing features from old versions. Nowadays there are good alternatives and if this is the way Adobe operates, I'm really considering if I should continue my subscription or not.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 07, 2021 Apr 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No, that is not correct.
There are two types of support: Mainstream Support and Extended Support.

During mainstream support, security updates and bug fixes and improvements are provided by Microsoft.

Mainstream support ended on 2015-01-13 for Windows 7 and on 2018-01-09 for Windows 8.1.

During Extended Support, only security updates are offered by Microsoft

Mainstream support ended on 2020-01-14 for Windows 7 and ends on 2023-01-10 for Windows 8.1.

So Win 8.1 is still in Extended Support, while Windows 7 is  EOL.

It is still possible to get paid updates for Windows 7 until 2023-01-23 (same date as 8.1 EOL), but this is only for businesses that rely on Windows 7 and use either Professional or Enterprise Edition (maybe Ultimate?) and does not extend support for regular users.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 15, 2021 Feb 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

solved : to download photoshop 2020 on windows 8/8.1 first download photoshop then download CCMaker from https://workupload.com/start/pRVYEWe after downloading CCMaker and extracting it with winrar start CCmaker choose the the third option "install" then search in the photoshop file fir the file named "products" open it and choose the file named "Driver" then choose it and click "next" then "next" and then "install" let CCMaker install photoshop after the install is finished Go to C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop 2020 folder , then just copy Photoshop.exe on the desktop and make a shortcut of it and *Run Photoshop and you are good to go

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines