• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why no Vista 64 bit compatibility for Lightroom 5?

Explorer ,
Jun 11, 2013 Jun 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please don't point me to the system requirements; I've already read again and again that Only Windows 7 or 8 are compatible with LR5.

What I want to know is WHY was Vista 64 bit supported with the Lightroom 5 Beta but now not for the current full release of LR5? Sucks to have been led to believe Vista would still be supported, due to the inclusion of VIsta 64 support on the Beta version, only to find the full release does NOT support VISTA.

And does "not supported" mean it truly won't install and be useable with Vista 64, or does it simply mean you won't provide tech support?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 11, 2013 Jun 11, 2013

Janie please see http://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/windows-vista-supported-lightroom-5.html.  Also from posts I have seen you will not even be able to install under Windows Vista.  I would recommend upgrading your operating system to Windows 7 or later if you wish to install Photoshop Lightroom 5.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Jul 01, 2013 Jul 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm ... Please let me know how to upgrade my 32 bit VISTA OS with 64 bit Wndows 7 without a re-format.

I believe Photpshop 5 requires a "tune-up", Adobe disappointed all those VISTA users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't have to upgrade to 64bit....Lightroom 5 will run on either 32 or 64 bit Windows 7 SP1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't upgrade from Vista 32 bit to Windows 64 Bit unless you do a full "clean install" which means reinstalling all your programs and files. A total rebuild. However, as someone else already said, you can run Lightroom on 32 bits. Still, it would be optimal if you run Lightroom and any other "memory hungry" photo applications on 64 bits.

I am lucky that I was running on Vista 64 bits. I have successfully upgraded to Windows 7 and didn't have to reinstall anything - I am now running Lightroom 5. Love it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 06, 2013 Jul 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dude, I've been optimizing windows since 3.1... transitioning from win.ini/sys.ini to manually editing the registry... optimizing W7 is identical to optimizing Vista.  Perhaps you need to learn how to optimize properly...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 06, 2013 Jul 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The lack of compatibility after having it in the beta seems stupid, inconsiderate, flawed... A pain in the butt for me personally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 19, 2013 Aug 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe thinks we are made of money.  First they force us to the cloud at double the cost for photographers and now they demand we just up grade windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TYork52 wrote:

Adobe thinks we are made of money.  First they force us to the cloud at double the cost for photographers and now they demand we just up grade windows.

Obviously there is a support issue, since it runs OK on Vista. Adobe/Lr has so many system-dependent problems, they don't want to make things more complicated by tossing OS variations into the mix. Understandable for them, good for all of us not on Vista (since they're not spending dev time testing on Vista), and bad for Vista users who don't want to upgrade. Oh well... .

I mean, such is my fairly-well-educated guess...

If I were you, I'd patch the installer, and install it on your Vista system, if you can't afford to upgrade Windows.

Conversely, if you can afford to upgrade, that is a better solution in the long run, in my opinion.

R

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rob Cole wrote:

If I were you, I'd patch the installer, and install it on your Vista system, if you can't afford to upgrade Windows.

Conversely, if you can afford to upgrade, that is a better solution in the long run, in my opinion.

R

I did buy W7 full and a new hard drive to install it on.  The install couldn't finish on three different attempts.  I put in my Vista disk, installed without problems. 

My optimized Vista system runs better than my optimized W7 system.  For some reason I keep getting intermittent app loading pauses in W7 on a quad core that I never get in Vista.  They're both optimized almost identically. 

For some reason W7 doesn't like me.  Fully patched Vista has been nothing short of amazing to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 20, 2013 Aug 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mike.bartelt wrote:

For some reason W7 doesn't like me.

Sorry to hear it. So, did you patch Lr5 to run on Vista, or just stay with Lr4?

PS - It could be that W7 doesn't like your hardware - is it old-ish?

mike.bartelt wrote:

Fully patched Vista has been nothing short of amazing to me.

I'm not a Windows 7 snob - Vista was just dandy for me too .

Cheers,

Rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Umm... it's an i7-2600k, 16GB, Asus mb, GTX 580, a 7200 rpm Barracuda 320g and a 2TB Hitachi...  It's a couple of years old now... I guess the card is kinda dated, but the CPU is still relevant.  So yeah, it's old to me, but it far exceeds Adobe's "System Requirements".

If you look at the requirements, it makes absolutely no sense.  I can't imagine how Windows 7 would run on a P4 with 2 gigs of ram on a monitor at 1024x768, let alone trying to imagine how editing huge RAW files in LR5 on that system would work.  How could anyone recommend that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mike.bartelt wrote:

it far exceeds Adobe's "System Requirements".

We were talking about installing w7, not Lr, right? Anyway, I had trouble installing Vista on my system (hardware was not approved for Vista), but once installed, it purred like a kitten... I'm guessing you could get w7 installed if you were willing to try some more... On the other hand, if you've had enough trying, why not patch the Lr5 installer and use the w7 disk for a coaster?

mike.bartelt wrote:

If you look at the requirements, it makes absolutely no sense.  I can't imagine how Windows 7 would run on a P4 with 2 gigs of ram on a monitor at 1024x768, let alone trying to imagine how editing huge RAW files in LR5 on that system would work.  How could anyone recommend that?

Youre not the first to notice a "paradox" - my guess: Adobe hasn't attended to the processor spec in years and it can be ignored - if your OS meets the spec, good enough... just a guess though.

As I'm sure you know - minimum sys.reqs are not intended to be optimal, but, well, minimum (e.g. suitable for preliminary trial but not for extended use). Lr will run with only 2GB, but most people will recommend at least 4 and preferrably 6 or 8 for optimal performance.

Rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This thread is about the lack of Vista compatibility with LR5.

The minimum requirements aren't intended to be optimal, they shouldn't be intended to be a joke either.  Get a P4 with 2GB and install W7 on it.  A P4 with 2GB only runs XP adequately... as long as you're not doing any image or video editing on it.  I have no idea how well W7 would run on a P4, but I'm willing to guess it's going to be quite slow, with lots of swap file activity.  2GB is barely enough for the OS... as soon as you do anything your system is hampered by constant page file access and constant memory swapping. 

Then, take a bunch of photos with a Canon 30D or some other 10+ year old DSLR.  Then download a couple hundred RAW photos and try to start editing them in LR5 on that system.

I'd be surprised if that system didn't lock up or crash every time you tried.  I could be wrong.... someone might actually consider that useable.  I didn't, even back then.  What was it, Photoshop 5 or 6 back then?  With 2GB of ram, it was painful to use back then, and if you wanted to open multiple images in it?  lol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m reading this forum on a P4 system with 4GB (3 useable) of memory and Windows 7 that can run LR5, but it’s too slow to be useable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mike.bartelt wrote:

This thread is about the lack of Vista compatibility with LR5.

Yes, but the question "is your hardware old-ish" came up because you said you were having difficulties installing Windows 7 on your machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not a matter of affording it.  I didn't need it until now and it is a hassle to reinstall everything on the computer.  My business computer is still xt - I have no reason to upgrade. I have  w7 on my photocomputer and hoping I never have a reason to go to w8 the king of confusion. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

TYork52 wrote:

it is a hassle to reinstall everything

You don't have to reinstall everything - just upgrade the OS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TYork52 wrote:

First they force us to the cloud

They do no such thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines