Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Windows to Mac Conundrum

New Here ,
Jul 10, 2019 Jul 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!!

I am trying to share a catalog that I have exported from a Windows PC with someone who is using a Mac. I create a Collection in Lightroom Classic and export it as a Catalog. Our versions are  Windows LR Version 8.3.1  Mac LR version 11.3. Our normal procedure using Mac to Mac over a network DA drive is, my Comrade exports a catalog to the DA drive, I retrieve it and import the Catalog. This happens almost flawlessly..  Now we have introduced a PC to do the same thing, However when my Comrade exports the catalog and i import it. The import option window looks completely different.

58440082855__DCA75659-5876-4B0C-A562-3BB1F76A1A68 (1).JPG58447601435__DC336468-D30E-449C-8409-993646CB544D.JPG58447651367__2B9822DC-92F9-4D24-86B9-6FC30212476A.JPG58447748310__4C670CA3-DF37-43DF-8CEA-4A9B18808172.JPG

Normally i am able to Change the file options.   Now LR Tells me it couldn't move the images!  here's where it gets tricky.. LR thinks the images are there If im trying to import 50 images. In the viewer it will say Previous Import 50 image but it will be full of blank squares with Exclamation points in the corner.  I can navigate to the image location and manually relocate the image. This is NOT normal procedure.  We believe that this is a Windows to Mac issue.

If anyone can Advise us on how to make these kids play nice. Feel free.

Noah

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your screen captures are too small to read.

I'm not sure why you are doing any importing of images in this situation either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The screen shots dont matter.. Its about the failure of PC to MAC or non compatability.  And i made a Boo Boo  Its LR 8.3.1 and Camera raw 11.3   Please advise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

robertm98079738  wrote

The screen shots dont matter.. Its about the failure of PC to MAC or non compatability.  And i made a Boo Boo  Its LR 8.3.1 and Camera raw 11.3   Please advise.

I can regularly pass LR catalogs created on my MACBook to me PC and visa vera. In my case via an external hard drive (eXFAT). So not a OS compatibility issue

I have no idea if the screenshots will help, normally they do, but yours are way to small, hopeless to read them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 11, 2019 Jul 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wrote

If you post screenshots, then apparently you think these will help us to understand your problem. In that case post proper screenshots, please, so there is something to see in them.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Start by making proper screenshots on your Mac. Don't photograph the screen. How to take a screenshot on your Mac - Apple Support

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And correct the info on what version of Lightroom Classic is on the MAC, you proved ACR version (or perhaps version of Camera RAW embedded in LR)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its LR 8.3.1 and Camera raw 11.3   My bad.  ooops

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, a bit of lack of knowledge on my part

What is a DA drive? Google Drive?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 12, 2019 Jul 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The DA Drive is our corportate external hard drive for lack of a better term.  Everything is stored there.  its usually trouble free.

The problem is... We shoot in the studio, download the cards into LR opereating on a PC.  We create and export the catalog onto the DA drive where i can import thie catalog onto LR on my Mac.  When we did this before, Mac > Mac. It was flawless.  Now PC > Mac. nothing is working correctly.  Both the Mac and the PC are fully up to date.  I feel this is a PC > Mac problem. Id like to overcome this. 

please advise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, that external hard drive, is it part of a NAS, is it connected to a server, or is it an actual hard drive you move around?

And how is it partitioned

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Connected to a server.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How partitioned?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cant answer that..   Ive been told its a Windows server virtual machine. Our IT guy is assuring me its not a server issue at all. He feels as do I its a PC mac dont play nice issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Actually, rethinking this, perhaps can it be simply said that you are storing a copy of the catalog and images, on a networked file storage device (Hard drive) from one computer, the importing that catalog into another one locally on a second computer? In affect using a NAS in between computers.

If so, MAC to NAS to MAC should have been buggy.

Have you considered copying the catalog, etc from PC to NAS, the copy, not import, from NAS to MAC, the either importing in MAC from one catalog;og to another, or just using the new catalog as is

Lightroom Classic catalogs do not behave nicely on networked storage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines