Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

XMP Preset not importing into Lightroom Classic CC

New Here ,
Jul 27, 2018 Jul 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Help!

I'm using Lightroom Classic CC, most recent update, running on Mac.

I downloaded a preset from one of my favorite photographers. It came as an .xmp file. I copied the file into Library/Application Support/Adobe/CameraRaw/Settings/User Presets. When I go into Lightroom, the preset doesn’t show up in the folder i copied it into. It actually doesn’t show up at all anywhere. How can I get that preset to show up so that I can use it? I’ve tried restarting lightroom several times and it still is not showing up. I also tried copying the .xmp file to my desktop and importing it from there.

Thanks for helping.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 27, 2018 Jul 27, 2018

Try importing it directly into Lightroom. In Develop Module, in Presets panel you can now click and choose Import Preset...

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try importing it directly into Lightroom. In Develop Module, in Presets panel you can now click and choose Import Preset...

Adobe Community Expert
Adobe Certified Professional

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

zakh87295858  wrote

Help!

I'm using Lightroom Classic CC, most recent update, running on Mac.

I downloaded a preset from one of my favorite photographers. It came as an .xmp file. I copied the file into Library/Application Support/Adobe/CameraRaw/Settings/User Presets. When I go into Lightroom, the preset doesn’t show up in the folder i copied it into. It actually doesn’t show up at all anywhere. How can I get that preset to show up so that I can use it? I’ve tried restarting lightroom several times and it still is not showing up. I also tried copying the .xmp file to my desktop and importing it from there.

Thanks for helping.

What kind of image do you have selected? If the preset applies a raw profile, it won't show when a non-raw image is selected.

Second question: Are you sure it's a preset, and not a profile?

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 04, 2018 Sep 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I‘ve got the same issue. Did you manage to import it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 05, 2018 Sep 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I‘ve got the same issue. Did you manage to import it?

Did you use the Import Preset command, as described here: Re: XMP Preset not importing into Lightroom Classic CC ?

If you did use Import Preset, and it doesn't show up in the Presets panel, expand every group (folder) in the panel by clicking on the grey triangles to the left of the group names to look for the preset.

If you're sure it's not in the Preset panel, then it may be a profile rather than a preset. To check, edit a raw file (not a JPEG or TIFF), go to Develop, click on the Profile dropdown in the Basic panel, then click Browse.  Look in every profile group.

If you still can't find it, upload the preset file to Dropbox or similar and post the sharing link here, and we'll take a look at it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 15, 2019 Feb 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

good grief; thank you!  thought i was losing my mind trying to import those files into the presets, only to see nothing happen lol whew

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 28, 2018 Oct 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

During my 2-hour support session with Adobe, I discovered that since the user presets are now stored under camera raw, it only works with camera raw files. Are you working with raw files? My user presets now do not work with non-raw files after the recent update. So if I click on the raw file, they show, but if I click on the .tiff file, it disappears. Also, because the LR now behaves and organizes support files differently from the previous version, there are multiple user preset folders in a variety of different locations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

modkoko  wrote

During my 2-hour support session with Adobe, I discovered that since the user presets are now stored under camera raw, it only works with camera raw files.

No, that is not true. However, when your preset applies a raw cameraprofile, then it will only work (and only show) with raw files.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you mean by your preset applies a raw camera profile? So the adobe's support technician was wrong? How can I change this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you mean by your preset applies a raw camera profile?

When you create a develop preset, if you check the box Treatment & Profile:

it will include the current profile specified in the Basic panel:

Many profiles can only be applied to raw photos and when included in presets, depending on the profile, these presets will only show up when editing a raw photo, not a TIFF or JPEG.

A bug in LR 7.3 and 7.4 caused Treatment & Profile to be automatically checked whenever you checked Color.

You can remove Treatment & Profile from a preset somewhat painfully: Edit in Develop a photo with no adjustments applied.  Apply the preset. In the Presets panel, right-click the preset and do Update With Current Settings. Make sure Treatment & Profile is unchecked and the other boxes are checked, depending on which settings the preset changes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, I understand now. So the User Preset to be applicable to both Raw and other non-raw files, I have to create the preset in non-raw file. Then it shows the user preset in either of the files. Interesting. I wonder why the Adobe support tech didn't know this. He couldn't explain to me for like 20 minutes why my user presets disappeared on tiff file. I still do not understand why Adobe would differentiate the user preset according to the file type. In another word, applying raw format in user preset has any kind of benefit vs. global user presets created based on non-raw file? I mean both use the same adjuster sliders...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

modkoko  wrote

Actually, I understand now. So the User Preset to be applicable to both Raw and other non-raw files, I have to create the preset in non-raw file. Then it shows the user preset in either of the files. Interesting. I wonder why the Adobe support tech didn't know this. He couldn't explain to me for like 20 minutes why my user presets disappeared on tiff file. I still do not understand why Adobe would differentiate the user preset according to the file type. In another word, applying raw format in user preset has any kind of benefit vs. global user presets created based on non-raw file? I mean both use the same adjuster sliders...

No, you can still use a raw file to create the preset. Unfortunately the people at the Adobe help desk do not always give the correct answers. If you do not check ‘Treatment & Profile’, then the preset will work with all types of files.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for this!! I do a lot of event and sports photography and each gallery, I create a specific preset and apply the similar light/white balance corrections, so the user preset feature is very important time saver for me. This clarification helped me so much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still do not understand why Adobe would differentiate the user preset according to the file type. In another word, applying raw format in user preset has any kind of benefit vs. global user presets created based on non-raw file? I mean both use the same adjuster sliders...

A "profile" may contain internally adjustments that are specific to all raw files or raw files from specific cameras.  (These adjustments are not expressed as sliders in the Develop panel.)  Prior to version 7.3, if a preset included such a profile, you could still apply it to a non-raw photo -- the included profile would just be ignored in that case.

But Adobe changed the behavior in 7.3 such that the Presets panel won't even display such presets unless you have a raw file selected.  It's even more confusing, because some raw profiles do this, and some don't.  And when LR hides a preset, there's no indication at all what's going on. It would have been much better to have shown the presets greyed out or with some other indication.

Even if technical support were more skilled, they'd still likely give wrong answers about this confusing situation caused by poor design.

See here for more details: Lightroom Classic: Presets including raw profiles are sometimes available for non-raws, sometimes no...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines