• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Add Retina Display support (new Macbook Pro)

Explorer ,
Jun 15, 2012 Jun 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apple release a new Macbook Pro with Retina Display (2880x1800). Applications need to be optimize to support this resolution. More Mac computers will have this type of display in future and I'm suppose Windows computer too.

Please considerate to adapt Lightroom to this new display.

Idea Released
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
60 Comments
Explorer ,
Jul 07, 2012 Jul 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, please. I can't use LR on my new MacBook Pro... the images look terrible 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 08, 2012 Jul 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This needs to happen sooner rather than later! Bad times.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup, please update it or we will switch to aperture 😄

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let's see, 4.1 came out on May 30th. At three months each on average, that would put 4.2 at August 30th or thereabouts. My guess is this issue will be taken care of in 4.2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm one step ahead of Ivan I'm already on aperture for the next month or so until you update it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hop will be have a release candidate before 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am thinking about Aperture too, with another bunch of photographers as well. We don't have the choice it seems, August 31st is a long time. I am a developer and I estimate that adding the support for Retina will take only one developer for one day. So just do it, or send the the code. It is really an easy update, and it would be great to have at least a beta we can use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, you're not a developer, or you would never make such a ridiculous claim. Please, just add your vote for support without such unnecessary exaggeration.

And please understand that Apple didn't send out units to developers ahead of time - so developers got the new displays at the same time you did. And it will take time to make the changes, test the changes (especially with several different scaling modes available) and prepare an updater.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"such a ridiculous claim". Not ridiculous at all, if only pure programming was is concerned.

Of course if you're considering the planning and testing it would take much more time. Otherwise I know what converting an application to Retina implies, and a good developer will do it in a few hours, for almost any kind of application. I don't count the new bunch of images and icons you'll have to provide but well, you are Adobe, I am sure you have it all ready already ;)

It would definitely take less than one day - sorry - but all the developing I did on OSX has been made with Objective C only. I am not sure what was use to develop Lightroom - Lua + an engine or core in C or C++? - but I agree it might take a bit more time in that case. But for sure it wouldn't take that many days either. Good luck with that though, as you said you just got the computers as well, and of course Apple used it at its advantage to make the changes first (maybe they even delayed all the orders made by Adobe 😉 ). I am just really looking forward to it, and I could help I would. Gambatte with all that guys!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is pretty ridiculous - just testing alone would take a few weeks.
Getting new Images and icons will also take a lot more than a day, then you have to integrate those and double check (test) all of those changes.
And the API changes would take more than a day.
And bug fixing (because the APIs still have a lot of bugs) will take more than a day.

The language doesn't matter -- the size of the task, state of the OS APIs, and availability of hardware to test on matters.
It's gonna take a lot more than a day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't say if it takes a day, several days, a week, a month. But I think what is a bit disappointing is that Adobe has not communicated anything about when an update will happen. we all know it will but will it be in the next update? will the plan to have an earlier update? or will it take even longer than a month?

i think communication or the lack of it is what is the most annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't mind testing an alpha or beta release. We are hungry users here, and we need something to work with. Probably most of us sold our previous laptop to get the new one, and work on the spot (and not on a desktop computer). Anything would probably be better than nothing, and that anything could be delivered pretty quickly I believe (+ that would be a tour de force from Adobe, and honestly if I have something to play with by next week, I will be really impressed).

I really don't want to buy and install Aperture, even for a short period :(

Is the Retina support a priority at Adobe? Can we hope for an update soon? (2 weeks / 2 months / more ?). That would be great to know at least 🙂 But don't worry, I understand that it takes time on your side and that you don't want to deliver something quick and dirty that is going to break all our catalogs and burst out our graphic cards 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe add "under Consideration" on this request.

Perhaps, if more people promote this idea, Adobe can go faster.
So can you share this page to all your contacts, Facebook ,Twiter, Google+,...

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe add "under Consideration" on this request.

Perhaps, if more people promote this idea, Adobe can go faster :-)
So can you share this page to all your contacts, Facebook ,Twiter, Google+,...

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Until we finish the work, we don't know exactly how long it will take.
And we can't make statements about unannounced versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 09, 2012 Jul 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please update LR quickly!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I don't mind testing an alpha or beta release. We are hungry users here, and we need something to work with. Probably most of us sold our previous laptop to get the new one, and work on the spot (and not on a desktop computer)."

Why would you buy a computer that can't use the software you depend on?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To stay on top! On this occassion in the short-run it kind of backfires but in the long-run...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly. No regret!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To stay on top of what? The cost/usefulness ratio curve? It cost a lot and isn't useful. Seems borderline insane to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah but it's sooooooo fast 😛 and when they do sort it out my workflow will be unbelievable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no disappointment with support for the MBP with retina screen ... it will come in time ... though ... I'm trying to calculate just how I could come up with the courage to claim publicly on the internet that I thought one of my paying clients was "ridiculous" at best, or insinuating they were representing themselves with embellishments or "exaggeration" (i.e. lying) at worst ... I'm coming up empty on how I could do that ... even if they deserved being classified as such ...

I would think doing so would add fuel to the fire for whatever complaint or issue the customer was having a problem with ... I would think being slightly more tactful in my response to that customer would be of more benefit, rather than risking a negative escalation of the the concerns.

Perhaps, this is an prime example of my own concerns about the decision making at Adobe is at times extremely wrong-minded and not benefiting my potential workflow and I should re-evaluate my willingness to invest monetarily in software solutions developed by Adobe for my business ... I don't feel very comfortable supporting any businesses that doesn't have my best interests at heart. ... such comments certainly makes me wonder just what is said by Adobe employees behind the scenes about their customers ... or how important we users actually are in the decision making process for development ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, please. I can't use LR on my new MacBook Pro Retina 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The last post on this thread may be of interest: http://forums.adobe.com/message/45467...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mountain Lion (when released) will support independent scaling of images and text. This allows images to make full use of the 2880x1800 screen without text getting scaled down.

Votes

Translate

Translate