• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Ability to hide sensitive photos

LEGEND ,
Oct 18, 2012 Oct 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom: I am looking for an easy and safe way to hide sensitive / private images in the collection without depending on the existing filtering capability

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
23 Comments
Community Expert ,
Oct 18, 2012 Oct 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've not used this plug-in and I would not trust something from a site whose ownership is not obvious, but see http://toptechphoto.com/lightroom-plu...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 19, 2012 Oct 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Put them in a separate catalogue. This is your best solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 19, 2012 Oct 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I dunno who you are hiding them from, but I've found clearing "Show photos in navigator on mouse-over" helpful to keep photos from inadvertently displaying in the navigator.

Personally, I hope Adobe implements privacy in such a fashion that it has similar flexibility as smart collections, i.e. what is considered "private" at any point in time, depends on who's around...

Rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 10, 2014 Feb 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another plugin option for hiding/unhiding.

Preview Exporter

Note: it's far from uncrackable - but will at least require some effort to "crack".

Enjoy,
Rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 14, 2015 Sep 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be great if we could hide some photo (nude for example). To make them secret. A shortcut will make them appear or disappear. And we will not have to do another catalog. Thanks a lot !

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 25, 2016 Feb 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some way to show or hide certain photos or albums because they can be adult rated PG or other reason to hide them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 25, 2017 Apr 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have photos that I wouldn't necessarily want others to accidentally see in my catalog. Currently, the only way to keep photos private is to create a separate catalog, which gets rid of the ability to see photos in chronological order. Maybe have a "make private" button, which either hides them unless you actively search for them, or locks them with a code. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 06, 2017 Jun 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to browse photos in Lightroom with clients without running the risk of sharing sensitive photos, boudoir for example, inadvertently. Could you please implement a "Hide" or "Private" feature to help us with confidentiality within Lightroom?
Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 18, 2017 Jun 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Adobe Executive Leadership:

I'm curious if Adobe's reasoning to not have this feature in Lightroom is not wanting to show an apparent support of unsuitable, improper, or otherwise illicit material by adding the ability to choose which photos and folders to not display in the library viewer. 

There's no hiding - pun intended - at least one obvious kind of photo customers / users would want to hide.

But for the millions of those who, for example, are in loving, committed, long-term relationships who possess a folder of private and personal material of the non-clothed variety, please add the ability to display/not display (via a click of some sort perhaps) such photos in the library viewer.

I've worked in management at large companies. If Adobe executive leadership doesn't want to acknowledge this benefit for said reasons, I encourage them to consider this feature with the following perspective:

BY NOT HAVING THIS FEATURE YOU EXPOSE ALL YOUR USERS TO A SECURITY AND PRIVACY RISK. HOW? ....in a world of identity theft, security fraud, privacy issues, sex offenders, etc., I'm willing to bet that many users who bring his or her laptop to a client for work may prefer to not open Lightroom and have the library displaying personal photos of family, wives, husbands, children, etc. to complete strangers.

How about the LGBT community? Whether you support, agree, or condone the lifestyle or not, there are many LGBT couples that still live in a world where they feel keeping their sexual orientation private is important. As of now, users have to maintain a completely separate library for such photos with such a partner. Even if it's a completely appropriate photos or video - such as those displaying a kiss with someone of the same sex - it may be a photo they prefer to keep private from others.

I think many will agree from a professional standpoint and business perspective, having to find inconvenient ways to address this concern is tedious and not convenient for the customer whatsoever. 

In light of this new perspective, please allow the following comments from fellow creators to support or nullify this concern.

Sincerely.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 18, 2017 Jun 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would agree a "hide" function as is in Premiere Elements would be helpful. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 06, 2017 Dec 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When will Adobe include this very important function into Lightroom Classic CC? Picasa had this feature years ago already!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jan 09, 2019 Jan 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes please, please add to Lightroom CC as well, as we can't have multiple catalog 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 10, 2019 Jan 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are many reasons you may want to show people images in Lightroom but could have issues with certain images accidentally showing up. Examples include other client photos, very personal images, potentially distressing images, explicit images etc. In fact the option to show only one collection (e.g.client's) images would be handy too.

I would have thought a collection or image attribute to hold a password would do the trick. Password protected images would simply not show. A menu item would allow passwords to be entered (including an "ALL" password"). I suggest a separate utility - even a simple text file would allow a backdoor to manage forgotten passwords. I am not suggesting bulletproof security here, just a simple mechanism to aid showing people your images in Lightroom safely. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jan 10, 2019 Jan 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, agree! Doesn’t have to be a bulletproof solution, just a simple one would suffice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 13, 2019 Jan 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hiding or password protecting would be a great way to deal with this and would be very helpful.

More specifically for me though, is there a way to determine which collection Lightroom classic opens with?

I am very nervous of sitting down with some excited parents waiting to see the results of their baby shoot, when lightroom opens with a boudoir shoot as this was the last collection that i was working on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 18, 2019 Oct 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be awesome to mark pictures as "sensitive" and then toggle the visibility on and off.

Please include this feature in Lightroom Classic/Lightroom and the mobile version. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 13, 2020 Apr 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why isn't it possible to hide folders or sensitive pictures in LR classic? It seems to be not so difficult! Set a "hiding mark" for instance "Y" and the picture looks grey or it is not visible anymore. With a special shortcut "hidden pictures" could appear again. Same with folders! Or maybe you don't want to have this item in LR because my question is ask for years already. It would be nice to get an answer. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 28, 2020 Apr 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the main toolset, have a new flag called "Hidden" (in the "Picked / no flag/ rejected" section). 

In the settings have 2 toggles: 
- Default "Show All" view shows Hidden" photos: Yes / No 
- Password protect "Hidden" photos: Yes / No --> If yes, record a password which will be promoted to change to option 1 above and also when wanting to show photos marked as "Hidden". 

Very simple, this shouldn't take more than a couple of days to implement and test.
This will add value for hundreds of photographers. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 29, 2020 Apr 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the information. I thought it could be easier. But it is ok. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Apr 30, 2020 Apr 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too am looking for a Hidden & Password protected images feature.  This becomes more important to me as I age, and I start to think about what will happen when I die.  I have a catalog of family images going back over 50 years that includes over 73,000 images, family pictures that my kids and grandkids will want when I'm gone, however the family images also include photographs from my ongoing relationship to my lovely wife, and when I'm gone the kids and certainly the grandkid will not want to see these images of Grandpa and Grandma, even when we were in our 20s and 30s.

I have copied all the questionable images to an external drive which I remove and keep in the safe... but lightroom still show previews of those images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 23, 2020 Oct 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I take boudoir photos from time to time and would like the ability to hide/password protect photos and albums. Is this possible? If not, can we make this happen? I can't be the only person who could benefit from this feature.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 03, 2021 Feb 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A possible workaround depending on developing history is to synchronize for them all the cropping adjustments to make the pictures (not for videos) just a pixel wide. I label personal photographs the same way so I can easily hide them via preset or sync. However, I cannot generate a snapshot for each of them, which would also be useful to switch from visible to hidden. 

You also have to make sure previews are updated. 

See also this question about automating "step back in history" by command/preset/batch method:

https://photo.stackexchange.com/questions/89980/undoing-at-lightroom-ctrlz-vs-history

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 10, 2021 Aug 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There should be NSFW tags (not just as a keyword) available and ability to show/hide NSFW content. 

Votes

Translate

Translate