• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Sort by more fields, sort by multiple fields

LEGEND ,
Aug 07, 2015 Aug 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Metadata fields provide an opportunity to liberate us from the difficulties of using the file system (filenames and directories) for sorting and searching. The Lightroom sort options should take advantage of this. I would particularly like to sort on the Title and Caption fields, and to use multiple sort criteria, as in Sort by Title and then by Capture Time.

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Oct 06, 2022 Oct 06, 2022

Agreed.  It's trivial to add more sorting options.

As a less-convenient workaround while waiting for Adobe to implement this long-requested ability, you can use the Any Filter plugin's Sort command.

Votes

Translate

Translate
56 Comments
LEGEND ,
Dec 20, 2018 Dec 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure why the sort list is so short. Seems it may be useful sometimes to sort by Title too, or any number of fields.But what I really want is for Adobe to add a sort hook to the SDK, so plugin authors can add sorting capabilities that may not have been thought of yet...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The long and short of it is in the question, however, the suggestion at the bottom here is to get emotional and asks how it makes me feel. Well then. I've invested an awful lot of time consolidating the best part of 2TB worth of images originally scattered all over the place from different drives. Lightroom is good for that. However, so many are duplicated and are in different sizes. Easy then. Just sort by size, then get rid of the small duplicates...Just like I can do in Bridge. Only I must be missing something. I see no option to do so. At this stage my blood is starting to boil. Are those good people at Adobe so short sighted as to have left this option out? WHY?!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom bizarrely lacks sort by file size function. Please add to next update!
Anyone who doesn't see the URGENT need for this function it would seem doesn't have much of a photo library, with edited/copied/duplicates to sort. Think numerous Macs/portable hard drives and the inevitable build up of backups. I'd rather have too many copies than delete an important image hence the issue.
I can sort by 'file type' or 'file extension' which to me seems redundant compared to what I am asking as the two are rarely different. I have to resort to using the finder - which not only I shouldn't have to - but that it also interferes with Lightrooms' catalogue/folder hierarchy/structure/integrity and surely the task should be a very basic feature of Lightroom. I'm not only still frustrated after each update reveals this function is still missing but stunned that it's not been there since the very beginning. Outside plugins and apps are available but why on earth is it not a basic function. Did I repeat basic function? Basic function.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see we can sort by Aspect Ratio; however, that is NOT the same as File Size.

Particularly when dealing with smartphones and backups, duplicates can have different timestamps, filenames, etc., but still be the same (or nearly so) image with the same file size. Sorting by File Size would allow us to quickly skim the thumbnails to find duplicates!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 18, 2019 Feb 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Lightroom (Classic 2019) would like to sort a collection of images by caption. Is this implemented yet? I just made a slideshow and I want it to play in an order by caption, alphabetically. As stated here previously the sorting options in Lightroom seem to be lamentable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Feb 18, 2019 Feb 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I can tell, still no sort by "Caption".  

You can show your captions in the grid cells (I'd use expanded cells) and then "custom" sort order and manually drag images to the desired order, but can't think of an automated way to do this.  I suspect there is a plugin that may help but don't know of any specific one (perhaps jfriedl's "metadata wrangler")

Dan

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 19, 2019 Feb 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The List View, Data Explorer, and Any Filter plugins can sort by additional fields (and multiple fields).

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 06, 2019 Mar 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would sure help me out if Lightroom Classic could sort images by Title. Any way I can do that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 06, 2019 Mar 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't do it with built-in LR commands, despite years of feature requests. But you can use one of several plugins: https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/lightroom-sort-enhancements?topic-reply-list[...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Aug 10, 2019 Aug 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wellie, welly, well, my Droogies.  Here it is 8 years later and still no sort by size in Lightroom CC.  Much caring about customers, yes.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 27, 2020 Jun 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like the ability to filter on any number of image data points, but I feel like Adobe cares more about integrating more of Photoshop into Lightroom than it does about implementing useful image management features. Thus I would like to ask this community for their opinions on the best alternative to Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 27, 2020 Jun 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a note from a developer:  engineers do not prioritize which features are developed.  That is the realm of Product Managers.  My guess is that they do not prioritize such features because they don't have to - what other product are you going to buy?  So long as they don't lose customers to a competing product, there is no reason to prioritize a particular feature above other features.  So long as "Monthly Subscribers" doesn't go down, they get their bonuses.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Nov 17, 2020 Nov 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The sort function does not include a search om on title  or subtitle. As a biologist/bird hunter I have numerous pictures named after the species shown. If I want to look for the best pictures showing specific species (and reduce the number to increase quality)  I need to type the titles one by one. If I would be able to search on the titles, the cleaning up of my library would be much easier.

There are plug-ins that may help to make overviews and lists in excell or similar,  but that will not make it much easier to work in LR itself. I can imagine many people want to sort on the title of pictures, rather than keywords or the other searches offered in the library of LR CC.

Please get this added in the search function in Lightroom (or Bridge) in order to enable picture management more easy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Nov 17, 2020 Nov 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the good idea. I'm merging your post to an existing thread for the same idea.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 07, 2021 Jan 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can we expect any action by Adobe on this issue that has been repeatedly raised for over 5 years now. How about a broader range of search metadata fields in the near future. Otherwise I will likely go back to Aperture. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 07, 2021 Jan 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

5 year old post.  No action. Let’s stop whining and do what we are told.  Soon, we will have no choice no matter what the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
May 25, 2022 May 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SORTING BY SIZE - FEATURE ADDITION in LR Classic.  need the ability to SORT BY SIZE in the Library. And I believe that most users of LR Classic want and benefit from the ability to do this. Logically it should be along with other Sorts that are not as logical nor used as much such as Added Order and Edit Count. So, I've had to go to Bridge and create Folders and other time-wasting efforts to find the large files I need. * As a professional for over 40 years I've worked in all aspects and types of photography, and I am now a Photo-Historian and Photo Archivist working with hundreds of thousands of files coming in from many sources and thus of many different sizes and ratios than an active contemporary photographer - needs. LR is fine for most probably - but some of us NEED MORE BEEF that LR Classic has, and I request that the software engineers do more not less with Classic. Don't abandon those of us who work with photography of the past as preserving and cataloging our photographic past is essential to uncovering and understanding our REAL history more than the written word. (You are Ken Burns fans, right?)

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a fairly popular, long-time feature request:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-ideas/lightroom-classic-sort-by-more-fields-sort-by...

While waiting for Adobe to implement it, you might consider one of these plugins: Any Filter, List View, Data Explorer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Jul 13, 2022 Jul 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Przydało by sie wiecej opcji sortowania

np. Wegług ISO albo czasu nasietlania albo według migawi

i mozliwość wyboru sortowania własnych preferencji z Exif

Beznazwy-1.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 15, 2022 Jul 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Google translation: "Could use more sort options, eg by ISO either exposure time or by flash

and the ability to choose to sort your own preferences with Exif"

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While waiting for Adobe to implement this, you could use the Sort command of the Any Filter plugin to sort by any field in the LR catalog or in the EXIF metadata.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Aug 06, 2022 Aug 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would find it more convenient to be able to filter and sort my images by title or caption in some situations: reviewing titled plants, birds, people etc.   Title and caption are missing from the grid view filters and sort parameters.

I am aware I can build a custom collection that filters on title or caption.

Have to say the original design for searching and keywording is impressive and covers most of my needs, so well done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 06, 2022 Aug 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[This post contains formatting and embedded images that don't appear in email. View the post in your Web browser.]

You can filter by Title and Caption:

johnrellis_0-1659810124018.png

but you can't sort. A lot of people have asked over the years for sorting by more fields.

While waiting for Adobe to implement this, consider using the Any Filter plugin, which lets you sort by any of hundreds of fields.

Votes

Translate

Translate