• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: A way to create a custom crop overlay.

Community Beginner ,
Sep 20, 2021 Sep 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am looking for a way to create a custom crop overlay.  The few that Lightroom offer don't work when trying to do consistant head sizing in the program.  

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Feb 17, 2012 Feb 17, 2012
This is a great feature request. We're definitely aware of it. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate
72 Comments
LEGEND ,
May 18, 2011 May 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think when you are cropping in photoshop/bridge/lightroom RAW it would be nice if we had an option to overlay a 8:10 ratio (4:5) on top of the 4x6 crop. This way we can crop to the normal 4:6 but still make sure that the photo can be made into an 8x10 later without cutting out important details (or heads). This can be similiar to the viewfinder inserts you can buy that shows an 8x10/16x20 crop on alot of dslr cameras.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,
May 18, 2011 May 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Been requested since prior to 1.0. Not sure why this one is difficult.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
May 20, 2011 May 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And the overlay could go both ways: if I crop to an 8x10 I want to know what a 4x6 would look like if someone where to print it. It allows you to crop one way or the other and know that a 4x6, 5x7 and 8x10 can be printed without manual re-cropping. It is very useful.

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 13, 2011 Jun 13, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Lightroom, add an additional crop overlay of 8x10, with the crop lines showing a 5x7 crop.

Image is not available

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So are you thinking something like this:

It would be a crop overlay that you could access in place of Rule of Thirds, Grid, etc. that would show this? Access it by hitting the [ O ] key like you access the other overlays now?

Image is not available

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you'd have one crop template for the widest common aspect ratio (probably 2:3), and then rules for the other common ratios (5:7 and 4:5 as Rikk suggests?)

Or would you make the outer ratio and included ratios user-selectable somehow? What if people wanted to include common modern printing ratios (e.g. tabloid, A3+, ISO 216, 4:3, 10:13, letter, 5:6, 1:1)?

The former is easy, as Lee Jay says. The latter has a complicated UI (or at least I can't think of a simple one), but if you do the former, you know people will ask for the latter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, That is exactly what I'm looking for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mark,

I'd do a couple of them - one that includes original, 2:3, 3:4, 5:7 and 4:5. I'd do another for the ones such as you suggest (sqrt(2), etc.). Hit O to cycle through them. If three are required, (I don't know what people use the world over), then fine. But I'd make this simple, with no UI.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yea that sounds good but not just for lightroom, for camera raw (PS and bridge) too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jun 15, 2011 Jun 15, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How about being able to create your own PSD and use it as an overlay? That would then work for people needing to visualise magazine cover placement, any custom ratio...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,
Jun 15, 2011 Jun 15, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If we were going to do that, it should be able to handle a tiff or PNG with transparency too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jun 16, 2011 Jun 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Currently I use the Print module for this - watermarks actually can be transparent PNG files. Some awkward way, but really cool if you print contact sheets with all your photos from the session already inserted into a magazine cover.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Sep 13, 2011 Sep 13, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rikk - Yes this is exactly what I am looking for as well. Doesn't seem to complicated ??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Oct 08, 2011 Oct 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Sometimes it happens that I need to position the object on the photo in a very well defined way. To do that currently I use Photoshop Elements with especially prepared transparent layer that visually guids me. This is however very tricky and ergonomically inconsistent.

I found it interesting to have ability of defining the crop guids to meet user specific demands.

BR

/Arek

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Oct 08, 2011 Oct 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By custom overlay I mean something like this:

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 03, 2011 Dec 03, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Dec 04, 2011 Dec 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it should be an Adobe-Wide option. I'd sometimes like to check photos with a title-action safe overlay, to make a DVD menu, or titles.
Other times, I have to do ID photos, with the max height, min/max height for eyes, as Arkadiusz showed it, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 15, 2012 Jan 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Definitely, we need to be able to use our own custom overlays. Maybe we don't need the overlay creation tool to be within LR GUI, but there should be a way to add these custom templates.

Also we should be able to change the color and width of these lines within LR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 28, 2012 Jan 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am posting this out of a compelling need in my workflow. I shoot location portraiture for organizations and sports teams. This is high volume work which was my impression what LR was designed for. When I get home from a shoot I have hundreds of photos to process.

In recent years, delivery to the customer has gone digital (on CD) rather than only printing prints. So one is forced to use a "universal crop" in all of the photos as you do not know how the customer will print the image.

So this basically means you deliver at the native sensor ratio (4x6 or 8x12) but leave enough room in case they want to print an 8x10.

All of my photos need to be processed this way. But the problem is, I am guessing where the 8x10 falls! If I could turn on an 8x10 Crop Guide Overlay I could crop for the 8x12 but see where an 8x10 would fall and adjust accordingly.

Thank you and I hope a member of the LR team will read this. Please know that his is very important to my business and not just a frivolous request!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 17, 2012 Feb 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wanted to try to bring some more attention to this request. Is there a way to know if the request has been seen by Adobe employees? Or has any chance of being implemented?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a great feature request. We're definitely aware of it. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much for your reply Ben!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 06, 2012 Mar 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

This reply is to Ben or other Adobe employees that might read this.

I am aware this feature (8x10 Crop Guide Overlay) was not added to LR 4.

Please forgive my forwardness, but what does it take to get a simple pro photo feature added to this software? How do you think it looks from our prespective when video editing is added to a RAW photo processing program over the ability to see an 8x10 crop mark?

I will process thousands of photos in my upcoming dance season that would benefit from this feature. I am so disappointed right now.

Seriously, can we get a fund together and pay for this feature to be added? Yes, it is that important to my photography business.

I am not a lunatic and would appreciate a response.

Thank you,

Tim Polster

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 07, 2012 Mar 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree 100% with Tim Polster's reply.

As a professional photography that literally has to process thousands of photos, having this requested feature (custom crop guide overlay) would be a HUGE benefit towards improving the workflow. This directly translates to photographer cost savings in both time and money.

PLEASE express the urgency/passion behind this request and get this escalated to someone on the development team that can get this feature added!!

Thank You

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 07, 2012 Mar 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sorry everyone 😞 We tried.

The thing that frustrates me is how simple the code must have been to write. Im not a program writer but it seems to me that one person could have done this in one day and saved so many photographers so much time and aggrivation.

Votes

Translate

Translate