• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Ability to import raw files

LEGEND ,
Apr 08, 2014 Apr 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having Lightroom mobile be able to import raw files, not just jpgs, will be crucial to giving LR Mobile some in field potential! It's fine if still creates a jpg preview to work from, so long as it still syncs my raw file to my CC account!

Idea Released
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
20 Comments
Community Beginner ,
Jun 02, 2014 Jun 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am desperately hoping for Lightroom/Lightroom Mobile to support an iPad-first workflow. In a perfect world, I would travel with only my Camera and my iPad mini (retina). I would use my EyeFi card to transfer JPGs to the iPad as I shoot, import the JPGs into Lightroom where I could cull (and hopefully one day rate/keyword) images. Then, when I'm home in front of my workstation, I could upload and sync the RAW versions of the images that survived culling while keeping changes and meta-data.

Aperture 3 (which I used for a long time before switching) has a similar feature (sans iPad app) where you can do an initial import of JPGs, cull/rate/keyword and make basic changes to the images, then import the RAW versions of only the images that survived culling, which replace the JPGs but keep all edits and meta-data intact. This can save a ton of import time and disk space (esp. since only 10% - 25% of my images survive culling.)

Adobe is so close to having a truly useful, game-changing product with Lightroom Mobile. It seems like one tiny feature added to Lightroom (the ability to swap in RAW versions of the files and keep metadata and changes intact) would let us start our workflow on the iPad and leave our laptops at home!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trynig to Import a RAW file from an SD Card into Lightroom mobile. This IS Not working. I have an original Apple Adapter for use with an Sd Card. I am able to Import the RAW Files to the iPad but there I do. Not See the pictures just an Icon for each RAW
I tried doing this with LRmobile. But I am Not able to get acces to my RAW files neither on the SD Card nor on the IPad, nor on any other picture on my IPad. I was able to synchronize picture from my PC to the IPad. Raw and JPEG. I am using an iPad Air and iOS 7. What I am doing wrong?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Two days ago, i downloaded lightroom mobile on my ipad, but i have a problem.
If i download the raw files from my camera directly to my ipad, my ipad recognise the raw files, but lightroom mobile not... why??? (instead, if the raw file it's in one of my collections in the creative cloud, i can open this in mobile lightroom... is this an issue?

Pls, fix it, because i work and edit my raw files directly downloaded from my camera to my ipad, and i think that others photographers have the same problem...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 03, 2014 Jun 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MODERATORS: This post should not have been moved to this conversation. I'm not suggesting being able to import RAW files into the iPad. In fact, I'm against it. It makes no sense... Raw files are too big to be workable in a mobile application, and syncing them to the cloud would take far too long and use too mch data. My suggestion is to add the ability to Lightroom (not Lightroom Mobile) to be able to import RAW files that would replace existing jpgs while keeping changes and metadata intact.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't merge it, but I agree that's a different request. Since it's not possible to split threads, as far as I know, might I recommend creating a thread entitled something like "Lightroom mobile: automatically sync jpeg file from mobile with matching raw file on desktop".

And FWIW, you can do something very similar using the Syncomatic plugin in the meantime.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry. I mis-read the post. Forking back out. Please reference the new topic here: Lightroom Mobile: Please let us start our workflow on the iPad (using JPGs/EyeFi)...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 24, 2014 Jun 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, I am fast becoming a fan of LR Mobile and the addiiton of the iPhone app is great. For a traveling photographer who shoots a lot an ideal workflow might be the following:
- traveller shoots raw + medium size jpeg
- download just jpeg to iPad to minimize memory demands
- perform edits on LR Mobile
- after the trip, download the raws to desktop LR app
- iPad jpeg edits automatically sync to corresponding raw files

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 26, 2014 Jun 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please hurry up LR Mobile and add this! Camera roll and Photoshop do already

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is needed. The raw+jpeg isn't really the issue, that's just a hack. Directly importing the Raw photo from the SD card is the real answer. Capturing the shoot from my SD card after a day of shooting on vacation travel would allow me to flag things in comfort and get ahead before I get home.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to respectfully disagree about Raw+ JPEG being a "hack". With iPads maxing out at 64 GB, it is quite easy to run into memory issues with the size of today's DSLR files, especially if you multi task with your iPad. I still say the ideal is to download JPEGS to your iPad, edit for posting while traveling to social media, etc. and then have this edits sync to your desk top raws. But that is my preference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 17, 2014 Jul 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i cant wait for the next update of lr mobile. for raw import. in the mean time i do enjoy using it as a way to continue editing off line away from Lightroom 5. meaning continuing to edit when on the go. good job.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 07, 2014 Sep 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My take on this is that
(1) Being able to import the raw file would be ideal in certain situations but there are constraints related to processing power, available memory and also the network bandwidth required to upload large raw files to the cloud.
(2) Raw + Jpeg could work quite well with a proper way to sync edits between the jpegs and the raws. One very useful feature would be to be able to sync the crop/rotate settings ; it is quite natural to work on these on an iPad but this is not supported by the Syncomatic plugin.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 06, 2014 Nov 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I really want Adobe to allow LightRoom Mobile to be the *start* of a workflow. It is only natural to take a camera and a tablet out on a field shoot. Although I shoot in RAW+JPG, I can easily import the JPG portion into a new collection made on LightRoom Mobile. After the shoot, I can quickly mark rejects, star photos, and even minor exposure/crop changes to the collection. I then want to come home and load the RAW images into my LightRoom Catalog on my desktop and have the LightRoom Mobile Collection "sync" to my LightRoom Catalog (via Smart Previews perhaps) so that my work out in the field was not wasted. This is a TRUE LightRoom Mobile workflow start scenario. Right now LightRoom Mobile is nothing more than a fancy picture viewer and also a way to edit photos while you're in the restroom AFTER you've gone home and imported the photos (and sync'd to LightRoom Mobile). Can't wait for this to happen!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 18, 2015 Nov 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom mobile:
Would like the ability to import and edit RAW files on iPad. To me that is what mobile means. I don't need or want to have photos sync with desk top while on the road.That can be done via usb once home. I have a portable wifi hard drive for back up and storage while on road. Keep things the way they are but if you want to edit actual files on the road then sync feature is disabled for those files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Dec 05, 2015 Dec 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

iPad pro performance is rated to surpass most laptops. It has a gorgeous screen. 128 GB version is plenty of storage for inputting a serious shoot's images in raw format. The connector can support USB3 (though the cable for that is not yet available).

So, this hardware is more than sufficient for field loading, inspecting, preliminary adjustments of raw images, field backup, etc. The raws would then be quick to move to a desktop to continue the workflow.

This is the workflow that everyone dreams of (or would if they realized how attainable it is). But we have no support for this from LR Mobile. Hopefully, this will come soon! Please, please!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 12, 2015 Dec 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Full featured Lightroom for iPad Pro and full resolution raw files in the cloud. Plus import of raw files to LR on iPad Pro (access to sd card adapter). Put these in the cloud so my Mac downloads them as well. Because of larger files, make it go towards CC space and make more space available (like 5$ a month for 100GB).

Current smart previews both lack resolution and dynamic range.
Current workflow starts and finishes on the desktop, which is not a great experience, especially given iPad Pro's power, display and pencil.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Dec 12, 2015 Dec 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A USB 3 speed Lightening to SD card reader is now available from Apple. So there are no more hardware limitations to a full LR implementation on iPad Pro. Right now raws can only get into the iPad and then a desktop via the unfortunate Photos apps. Then it is awkward to get at them in LR, requiring export of the raws or a symbolic link into the masters folder within the Photos library.

It would not be necessary to move raws from the iPad to the desktop via the cloud given bandwidth issues. Doing that via the cable on return from the field would be satisfactory.

Edit: To clarify, by the last paragraph I was thinking about moving raws from LR Mobile to LR on the desktop. Raws brought into the iPad via Photos can be imported into LR on the desktop via the Import dialog, but then there will end up being duplicate masters in the LR and Photos libraries, unless one laboriously deletes them in Photos after the import.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 13, 2015 Dec 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you should put the raw originals in the cloud for two reasons:

* optimize iPad storage
--> just like Apples own photos app, keep only a lowres file to look at, and download the develop-version (fullres uncompressed raw) from the cloud if needed (when entering edit mode). You kinda do that already with the smart preview.

* synchronizing iPad and Mac
--> we could start either on iPad or Mac, but always have a way to work with the original raws.
--> It's also a great way to back up.

There could be an option asking if you want to hold on to all raw files or only keep previews and download from the cloud when necessary.
Don't make this mandatory but an option, just like Apple does.

And again, that cloud storage does not have to come free, I would happily pay a few bucks per month for raws in the cloud. Or even better use my 200GB iCloud storage, but I guess that won't happen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 07, 2016 Feb 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Just want to add my request to the others that Lightroom Mobile needs to be able to read raw images.  I shoot only raw and had hoped to be able to use Lightroom on my Android tablet to get a quick read on my images while on the road.  Guess I have to keep using RawDroid Pro (if they can do it, Adobe should be able to also!!!!!!!!!)

Votes

Translate

Translate