• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Search or Filter by Pixel Dimensions, Long Edge Dimension & Aspect Ratio

Advisor ,
Apr 13, 2011 Apr 13, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the need to search for images based on their pixel dimensions. For example I want to find images that have a horizontal or vertical dimension of more than 1000px. The pixels dimensions are recorded in the metadata but I cannot see a way of searching or filtering by such criteria.

Idea Released
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
40 Comments
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed, that would be useful. In the meantime, Jeffrey's Megapixel Sort plug-in may go some way to aiding the situation http://regex.info/blog/lightroom-good...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bridge also allows for show/hide by keywords, and sorting by some predefined keywords --- but could use some further refinement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DevMeta also supports search by pixel count, or dimensions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Note: the big shortcomings of both the above-mentioned plugin solutions is:

- pixel-count and dimensions are treated as text (like all plugin/custom metadata) - which is OK for library filters, but takes a lot of the fun out of using it in smart collections - no numeric range constraints supported.

- Metadata must be recomputed after cropping. DevMeta does this for most selected photo only - so it is (or can be) automatic if you apply crops on a photo-by-photo basis.

PS - If Adobe added two things to SDK:
- Proper data-type support for custom-metadata (numeric, date, & boolean)
- Event Notification.
then plugin supported custom metadata would be indistinguishable from native metadata.

User simply installs a plugin and forgets, and the metadata is there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 30, 2011 Dec 30, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd love to be able to sort by "long edge pixel dimension". A pretty simple addition I would think. A Plug-In even?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I sort a mountain of images into say 1:1, 3:2, 4:5 and custom aspect ratios in Lightroom ? (Can only find a filter by orientation and cropped dimensions).

Is there a plugin that would even tack this information onto the filename ?

~ John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

|> "Is there a plugin that would even tack this information onto the filename?"

Plugins can not rename files, yet - fingers crossed for Lr4.

A plugin can rename a file before adding to the catalog, but to take advantage you would have to be willing to give up edit history and all other previous catalog associations (like collections and publish services and stacking and virtual copies...).

That said, I think your best bet now is to filter by aspect ratio using DevMeta or AnyFilter - links are somewhere nearby...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 31, 2011 Dec 31, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Consider AnyFilter by John Ellis.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 06, 2012 Jan 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is exactly what I'm looking for... so I can first "find/sort" which images to print for different frames, etc. Secondly I need to "export/name" them with the aspect ratio in the filename for ease of reference. Also then my clients will know which images they want to print for 8x10, etc.

Aspect Ratio in Filename: http://feedback.photoshop.com/photosh...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 17, 2012 Jan 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I personally think that this would be solved by adding a List view, a feature that any catalog/database program must have had since v1.

Of course, dimensions of file size if one of the columns that should be available in the list view.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed. List views traditionally let you choose which columns to display (from a potential list of many columns) and the sort order. Though I haven't yet had a need to try it, the List View plugin looks very useful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure why the sort list is so short. Seems it may be useful sometimes to sort by Title too, or any number of fields.

But what I really want is for Adobe to add a sort hook to the SDK, so plugin authors can add sorting capabilities that may not have been thought of yet...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 04, 2016 May 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sometimes we need to choose between photos grater then (or smaller then) a specific size, say, to select the photos able to fit a 300DPI brochure, or simply to quickly separate thumbnails, or mixed sizes, from originals.

If the Library Filter could present us a Megapixel attribute, would be great.
If the selection could be done by the larger side, better.

Cheers an congrats, great app!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The long and short of it is in the question, however, the suggestion at the bottom here is to get emotional and asks how it makes me feel. Well then. I've invested an awful lot of time consolidating the best part of 2TB worth of images originally scattered all over the place from different drives. Lightroom is good for that. However, so many are duplicated and are in different sizes. Easy then. Just sort by size, then get rid of the small duplicates...Just like I can do in Bridge. Only I must be missing something. I see no option to do so. At this stage my blood is starting to boil. Are those good people at Adobe so short sighted as to have left this option out? WHY?!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see that this comment was merged with another conversation, so might not make much sense now. I've found a workaround though for finding duplicates. This Lightroom plugin has saved the day:
http://www.bungenstock.de/teekesselchen/
..and tutorial for it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdjfalT1xCQ

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 01, 2017 Feb 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh how I feel your pain David Swift.
I question my sanity as surely the biggest photography software company in the world could not possibly have 'forgotten' to add the feature to sort by file size to their program. Surely. Really?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 02, 2017 Feb 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom bizarrely lacks sort by file size function. Please add to next update!
Anyone who doesn't see the URGENT need for this function it would seem doesn't have much of a photo library, with edited/copied/duplicates to sort. Think numerous Macs/portable hard drives and the inevitable build up of backups. I'd rather have too many copies than delete an important image hence the issue.
I can sort by 'file type' or 'file extension' which to me seems redundant compared to what I am asking as the two are rarely different. I have to resort to using the finder - which not only I shouldn't have to - but that it also interferes with Lightrooms' catalogue/folder hierarchy/structure/integrity and surely the task should be a very basic feature of Lightroom. I'm not only still frustrated after each update reveals this function is still missing but stunned that it's not been there since the very beginning. Outside plugins and apps are available but why on earth is it not a basic function. Did I repeat basic function? Basic function.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 31, 2017 Oct 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are right
Please Adobe make this request
Best regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 31, 2017 Oct 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may be aware that right after import, you can select all the imported photos and do Metadata > Edit Capture Time to shift the time zone of all newly imported photos?  Not as convenient as having a time-zone shift in the import dialog, but just a few extra keystrokes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Aug 29, 2018 Aug 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why is there no way to filter by specific aspect ratio (4:3, 3:2, 16:9, etc) in Lightroom like there is in Bridge?

There is a filter called "Aspect Ratio" which filters only by "Portrait", "Landscape" and "Square" options. Except for the square option, these are not aspect ratios, they are image orientation.

Could this feature be added in a future release?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In bridge there is a very easy filter option under aspect ratio that allows one to sort by crop or file aspect ratio. Examples 1:1, 2:3, 3:4, 5:7, 4:5, panoramic...etc.

It behooves me why there is no option under "aspect ratio" only giving me portrait, landscape, and square. To me that sounds more like orientation rather than aspect ratio.

There should be an option to filter in both the "Library Filter" under metadata, and under Smart Collections.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When in the library view I filter on ratio, I currently only get the options for portrait, square or landscape. To select photos for specific prints I'd really like to be able to select the "standard" ratios of 2/3, 3/4, 4/5, 5/7 etc. as well, whether portrait or landscape. Better still, any custom ratio I entered should be able to be selected as well, but that is just perfection... 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 20, 2018 Dec 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can this be classified as "Implemented" when it is merged with a function that does not exist?

I see we can sort by Aspect Ratio; however, that is NOT the same as File Size.

Particularly when dealing with smartphones and backups, duplicates can have different timestamps, filenames, etc., but still be the same (or nearly so) image with the same file size. Sorting by File Size would allow us to quickly skim the thumbnails to find duplicates!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 20, 2018 Dec 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate