Participant ,
Apr 22, 2023 Apr 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My workflow for Adobe Denoise.

1. Edit RAW image in Lightroom
  2. Use Denoise AI which saves and changes my file name – adds Enhanced-NR
  3. Open the DGN in Photoshop and do more edits
  4. Close DGN and it saves my default LR file type as a layered TIF.
  5. Delete the DGN and rename the tif.

Step 6 is a pain. I haven’t figured out a fast way to get rid of the extra words “Enhanced-NR” in the file name.

And if I use Lightroom to export the DGN as a TIF it flattens the layers created in Photoshop - not good.

Idea Under review
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Aug 18, 2023 Aug 18, 2023

Have upleveled this to the team for review.

Status Under review

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 114 Replies 114
114 Comments
Community Expert ,
Jun 15, 2023 Jun 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Sherry-port4u 

Have you considered that the original raw file very often is a DNG already? They can't have the same name.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Jun 15, 2023 Jun 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@D Fosse 

"Have you considered that the original raw file very often is a DNG already? They can't have the same name."

Of course, and Adobe already provides a unique naming feature, ie _1 etc, when saving files.  We just want ergonomic control over the naming of files.  This is an area Adobe normally excels:  control, elegance, ergonomics and efficient workflows.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 18, 2023 Jun 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree.  Adobe should give us the ability to control the naming of our file.  The default naming breaks my output naming scheme and is just cumbersome.

So the solution I found is a two step process.  In your workflow example, you should do it after step 2 and before step 3.

1)  I created a new naming present with the format:  Filenmae_Preserved File Name.  That puts the original file name and sequence number out of camera back on the end of the file name.  So now it looks like SDP_CLIENT20230618-1234-Enghanced-NR-_DSC-1234.DNG (whew!).

2)  Now I can rename my files again with my original naming preset and sequence number.  So the final result is SDP_CLIENT20230618-1234.DNG.

If you prefer to use unique sequences, you can preserver the original sequence number in step 1, and that will give you an indicator where to start the sequence when you rename in step 2.

Hope that helps, and hopefuly Adobe sees this thread and makes a fix to allow us to change the default script.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 20, 2023 Jun 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly my problem...unstil Adobe can fix this I'll stick with Topaz and PureRAW

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Aug 17, 2023 Aug 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are now on ver 12.5 and the problem of not being able to set the default naming process used by the enhanced denoise function is still an issue.  Renaming after the fact becomes a real PITA when you are batch processing many photos.  Who at Adobe thought that a forced renaming of files to ....-Enhanced-NR.dng was appropriate? There should be a way to allow the process to generate the enhanced files with a user definned naming.  For example:   filename.dng  

Come on Adobe get with the program.  Hard coded filenames are circa 1988 !!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As of the current 12.5 version and it has been this way since the introduction of the Enhanced Denoise funtion, the returning filename ends with  ' -Enhanced-NR.dng' and there is NO WAY to change the default. Renaming the files after the fact is a real problem especially when many are being done via batch.  Hard coding filenames was something that was around back in the 80's and certainly does not belong in 2023 application software.  Let's get with the progam Adobe and provide a method to adjust what the returning filename (not extension) will be.  Personnaly I want to set it to just be filename.dng.  There is already provisions within LR to address existing filename.dng's by adding a -1 or 2 etc to the filename.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not a bug - moving to existing feature request. 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Respectully disagree, hard coding filenames should not be happening in this era. It's certainly a 30+ year hold over from the past and as such, is a bug is many people's mind.  Please get this on the list to change for the next version, 12.6.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Obviously depending on where one sits (Adobe or User) the technical determination of bug - no bug becomes a debate. However, this is a very simple fix (add a check box to either add or not add  '-Enhanced-NR' to the filename). Moving this to a 'suggestions thread' immediately diminishes the issue from Adobe's perespective to one of significantly less importance despite the simplicity of the fix that many users are clamering for. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@mschlotz 

For the purpose of this forum a bug is: the software is performing other than as designed to perform. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's just amazing this is still a broken feature.

Okay, maybe it's not a "bug" but it's something that was broken from the day 1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Aug 18, 2023 Aug 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because of having to manually rename a file then convert it to tif I do not use the new Adobe Denoise. I use 3rd party denoise apps. Much faster and less cumbersome in my worflow. Get with it Adobe. I want control of naming and what file type it ends up as. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have upleveled this to the team for review.

Status Under review

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rikk. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 22, 2023 Aug 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I really hope someone can help. I've tried Adobe help and 2 different people couldn't resolve this!
When I use the new AI DeNoise function it creates a new dng file but it adds 'Enhanced-NR' to the original filename. When I then export the file it keeps the new filename.
For example: if the original filename is 2323-8 after DeNoise is done the filename is 2323-8-Enhanced-NR.
I've been deleting the Enhanced-NR by renaming every file individually but it's time consuming and a massive pain in the butt when you have hundreds to do. I asked the Adobe techs about this but they didn't know how to sort it.
Has anyone else had this problem? How did you resolve it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The thing is, the name has to be different in some way, because the original might be a DNG and so it would overwrite the original. That cannot be allowed to happen because the denoised file is a demosaiced (RGB) file that can not be restored back to the original mosaic raw data. It's irreversible.

Keeping the original file name plus a suffix is a practical and safe way to do that.

That said, there could be a file naming option in the dialog. The problem with that is that most people would likely just delete the suffix - and not understanding the implications, get into a lot of trouble.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I understand the need for it to be renamed but there should be options as to how to do this. There aren't. When the Denoise dialog opens it only gives you options over the amount. In my mind there should be more options regarding filenaming but there just aren't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, why can't it be just another noise reduction slider along with the others? No need for renaming then and it's clearly a very good function so should be fully incorporated. Hopefully Adobe can integrate it further so the renaming isn't an issue at all!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, Adobe has said that in the future, they would like to make this work as other sliders work, and a new file would not be needed. 

https://blog.adobe.com/en/publish/2023/04/18/denoise-demystified

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, why can't it be just another noise reduction slider along with the others? No need for renaming then and it's clearly a very good function so should be fully incorporated. Hopefully Adobe can integrate it further so the renaming isn't an issue at all!

By @imakeener

Right below the Enhanced DeNoise, you will find Manual Noise Reduction.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could use a renaming utility like ReNamer to remove -Enhanced-NR from exported files.

Files in the LrC library can not be renamed this way, since the catalog references the original file name,  and they would be reported as missing. So any renaming of these files has to be done within LrC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is already the subject of an existing feature request. You can view same at: 

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-ideas/p-a-way-to-alter-the-naming-for-enhanced-file...

Note that this thread will likely be merged into above at some point. In the meantime, I suggest that you add your vote to the existing request.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Oct 07, 2023 Oct 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can rename all of your files using Finder... if you're using a MAC. Don't know the path to success in Windows.
https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/mac-help/mchlp1144/mac

Votes

Translate

Translate