Participant ,
Apr 22, 2023 Apr 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My workflow for Adobe Denoise.

1. Edit RAW image in Lightroom
  2. Use Denoise AI which saves and changes my file name – adds Enhanced-NR
  3. Open the DGN in Photoshop and do more edits
  4. Close DGN and it saves my default LR file type as a layered TIF.
  5. Delete the DGN and rename the tif.

Step 6 is a pain. I haven’t figured out a fast way to get rid of the extra words “Enhanced-NR” in the file name.

And if I use Lightroom to export the DGN as a TIF it flattens the layers created in Photoshop - not good.

Idea Under review
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Aug 18, 2023 Aug 18, 2023

Have upleveled this to the team for review.

Status Under review

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 114 Replies 114
114 Comments
New Here ,
Nov 14, 2023 Nov 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@cyborg ant "It isn't that complicated" Proceeds to list out a(repeating) 10 step process for something that should be a single menu option that perpetually works for every workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 14, 2023 Nov 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting yet still misses the point, but thanks for your thorough research and tips. This is about simplification up front, rather  than adding to the workflow to change names, etc...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 20, 2023 Nov 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

indeed this is terrible! hope this is picked up

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 27, 2023 Nov 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just encountered this, and it's a huge pain in the butt when dealing with large batches of files. I really hope this gets a simple treatment under preferences as should have before launch. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cyborg Ant,

See previous thread post...

Screenshot_20231127_174926_Chrome.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a pretty easy workaround that may or may not work for everyone. Under 'File Naming' in the export dialogue box I chose 'Rename To: Custom Name - Original File Number'. That excludes any 'enhanced' reference, and solves my problem perfectly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ugh...I take that back. This is sooo odd: I experimented before coming here to post and it worked great. But I only exported a single file with Denoise applied. Then I went into my batch of 400 images and exported them as I described – a custom name + the original file name. This time it worked great on every file without enhanced editing, but the few with Denoise ended up with the prefix I requested but instead of their file name they were given a sequential number starting at -1. No file name or 'Enhanced', just a number.

Back to square one...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only thing odd is that this was ever allowed to be released, and that it still has not been addressed by Adobe.

DXO and Topaz had it correct from day 1 (years ago.)  You put in your preferred naming, and done.  It only affects the images you applied DN, and does not alter the rest of your workflow.  Maybe Adobe has already quite support/dev for the DN function...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should have typed "Most strange" rather than "Only strange."  Oops!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jan 11, 2024 Jan 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe already has an easy solution in Bridge (Tools>Batch Rename String Substitution)! I'd love to see that option in Lightroom Classic, or a way to accept name changes from Bridge, or a Lightroom naming template that uses the original (embedded) filename from the RAW photo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 13, 2024 Mar 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are there any updates on this?
For many of us, it is a struggle in workflow that suffixes like "-enhanced" (from denoising) and "-edited" (from Photoshop) are appended automatically. Please give us a setting to change or remove this automatic renaming. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Picmention Matthias 

As I've said many times, removing "-enhanced" is not possible. Then you could have two very different files with the same extension and the same name, and that's not possible. So the simplest and most practical way is to add a suffix, and "enhanced" very succinctly describes what it is.

But it's correct that there is no way to change it if you have a better idea. There should be.

As for Edit in Photoshop, that can be changed to whatever you like. Under Preferences > External Editing, you can set the template to your liking. This is safer, because they will be different file types with different extensions. These can have the same name if you want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See previous thread post...

Screenshot_20231127_174926_Chrome.jpg

 I guess Adobe cannot or will not fix this issue...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a work around solution in LR.  After you've created the Denoise Enhanced DNG, in Library go to Rename photo (F2) and create a template that uses "Preserved Filename". I named my version NR to just DNG.  Run it and it will eliminate the 'Enhanced-NR" from the filename.  Definitely still a PITA as the workflow now becomes:  Do Denoise, then hit "E" to get back to the photo in Library mode, hit F2 & enter.  Not too bad for a single edit but not acceptaible for batch processing. 

Why in the heck Adobe forces this filenaming addon is beyond me. Ok so be it, but PLEASE add a switch in Denoiose so it will create a simple 'original_filename.DNG' result. OR... the ability to change the naming convention on the front side.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I mean you could literally just have a setting ot have 'enhanced-NR' be a customizable field. Maybe 3 lines of code.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@mschlotz 

I ask again:

How will your system separate filename.DNG from filename.DNG when one comes from the camera and the other comes from Denoise? Have you considered that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe Topaz and DXO have a copyright for this simple ability to control the output names, and that is why adobe will not address the error.

Adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Last time I checked Canon Nikon and Sony bodies do not create dng files. Regardless you can adjust what the final filename in the template will be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@mschlotz 

Quite a lot of us routinely convert to dng for a number of reasons. There is a "Copy as DNG" import option in LrC for that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 14, 2024 Mar 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@D Fosse 
LrC is automatically adding a "-1" if there are any filename conflicts. But that is not the issue here. You're picking up a minor practical and solvable issue to discuss the initial bigger question. That is: why doesn't LrC provide it's users the possibillity to rename the enhanced files whatever they want them to be in the programsettings?
That way even you can solve your filename conflict whatever way you like.

BTW: Apart from file sizes (which shouldn't be an issue nowadays) I see no reason whatsoever why one should want to convert his RAW to DNG at import. For some camera brands (e.g. Fuji RAF), LrC isn't the best choice to interpret RAW-information and you will definitely loose image quality. Against general speaking among photographers DNG ist NOT a RAW file format. If you dig deeper into the (technical & commercial) aspects of the DNG file format and it's version history, you will understand why that is not a very wise decission. But that is off-topic as well and just my opinion/advise. No to be discussed any further in this thread...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow,  Adobe has done noting about this topic approaching one year anniversary of this thread.  No progress, no moderator to keep things on topic...disappointing. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot 2024-03-14 085742.jpgHi Rikk, any updates??

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What makes this worse is the poor design choice to not allow renaming in the Develop module.

My workflow:

Import files (and there is a huge time-waster involved there with metadata templates)

Edit and assign labels to my picks, model/client's picks, often doing test adjustments to see which files I like

Select all final picks and batch Enhance

Switch to Library module and manually remove the changed filenames

Switch back to Develop and continue editing

Edit in Photoshop and save finished images with new names.

I do not rename the RAW files at any point other than removing the unwanted filename change.

I've actually thought about learning enough Lua to write a basic renaming plugin that would work in the Develop module. I already am not a fan of discrete modules with different capabilities, and this drives me nuts. HUGE waste of time.

At work I use Bridge/Camera RAW and I just have a Batch Rename template that handles this easily. Aperture (RIP) also handled all of this much faster and easier.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have CR3 and CR2 from the camera. My gear doesn't shoot in dng and I probably wouldn't even if I could. DO NOT WANT the stupid "enhanced" that I have to remove from every damned file. 😠

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We're not asking to remove the suffix... just to be able to choose the one you want.

"Enhanced-NR", whatever other suffix, or nothing -> this should be your choice.

The rename trick doesn't work for people that don't use the original filename.

Anyway, here is what worked for me.
I have to redo the operation everytime I update Ligthroom (as with AnyShortcut plugin modification).

This should work for anyone who don't use English as Lightroom language, for instance I use French:

1. Find TranslatedStrings_Lr_fr_FR.txt file
    On a mac, it's well hidden under the app (use "show package contents")
    /Applications/Adobe Lightroom Classic/Adobe Lightroom Classic.app/Contents/Resources/fr.lproj/TranslatedStrings_Lr_fr_FR.txt

then:
  2. Find the 2 specific lines:

"$$$/Enhance/PreviewDialog/OverlayLabel/Enhanced=Avec accentuation"
    "$$$/Enhance/Enhance/Denoise/Abbrivation=Bruit"

3. Replace by the suffix of your choice: for instance:
    "$$$/Enhance/PreviewDialog/OverlayLabel/Enhanced=-"
    "$$$/Enhance/Enhance/Denoise/Abbrivation=D"
  4. Enjoy

This isn't perfect, you cannot get everything you want, but it's the best workaround I've found.

In my example, instead of

"Image.RAW" --> "Image-Avec accentuation-Bruit.dng"

I get:

"Image.RAW" --> "Image-D.dng" 

There is probably a way to make it work in English too... but not sure how.

Votes

Translate

Translate