• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Ability to create custom book templates/sizes from scratch

Community Beginner ,
Jan 13, 2012 Jan 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Provide a way to create new pages completely from scratch by laying out the position of the picture frames and text frames instead of using just the provided templates. I like to do my own layouts that match the text.

Also can we have double page layouts where they are linked and cannot be broken apart.

Idea Released
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Aug 22, 2018 Aug 22, 2018
Lightroom 7.5 was released earlier today with new features that allow for custom page creation. Give it a try!

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 186 Replies 186
186 Comments
LEGEND ,
Oct 27, 2012 Oct 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When LR 4 was released we were told we would be able to edit/create book templates using one of several other apps. (Illustrator and InDesign come to mind.) That still hasn't happened months later. I had to give up on LR for making books. I guess if I wanted an alternative to creating books in iPhoto LR4 would be it, but I want a much more robust/flexible product. LR has so much potential for this. Why waste time and code adding stuff like Twitter and Flicker integration and give us a crippled book module?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I fully agree!
This is one of the things that decrease my confidence in Adobe (BTW, how they communicated their change in FLASH strategy is another such thing)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have completely given up on this. I put a lot of effort trying to find a workable solution.

As bad as the book module is ... a promise to deliver a workable alternative ....... and NOT deliver .....is in-excusable.

I give up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advisor ,
Oct 28, 2012 Oct 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I received this response to another question concerning customizing book pages/templates ... Apparently we won't see any addition or improvement on this for the foreseeable future ... sad really ...

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photosh...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 01, 2012 Nov 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom 4 Book Warum kann ich das Seitenläyout nicht selbst gestallten und muss auf vorgefertigte Vorlagen zurückgreifen? Im Programm von Blurb kann ich das Seitenlayout selbst gestallten.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 01, 2012 Nov 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, ditto to this. I just posted a very specific request to add two full-spread layout options, but of course totally customizable layouts would be awesome.

I also agree that the pages should stay linked as spreads -- because who designs books one side at a time?? They GO TOGETHER 🙂

Please thumbs-up my suggestion as well!
http://feedback.photoshop.com/photosh...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 02, 2012 Nov 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am just trying out the new book module and really like it very much. there are nice templates and graphics. however, i hope to see proper layouting options added in the final version.

For example the possibility to:
- freely arrange and rotate pictures and text on the pages.
- include simple layout options from your other popular products like indesign (magnetic guide lines, center elements in page or against each other, resize and rotate cells, etc.)

For clear voting i opened separate, additional Feature requests close to this topic

cheers, Aron

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 03, 2012 Nov 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why would you make your life harder while there are websites like shutterfly.com, snapfish.com andhttp://www.snaptoshop.com ?

Just saying (:

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 04, 2012 Nov 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to say, I am really disappointed:
One of the reasons I bought LR was not to have to use the often annoying software from specific vendors to do photobooks. While I knew that LR was coupled to Blurb, I read that you could also export to pdf, which was enough for me. Allowing the export only in the blurb formats now prevents me from using the whole module, as the formats are not suited for my purposes. Together with the layout restrictions this leaves the impression of an utterly unprofessional module, in an otherwise great software. Actually, I didn't even think to check for these possibilities, as it seemed obvious to me that they must be included.
To top my frustration, there even was one thing at blurb I wanted to order, which was the pocket calendar - turns out, this is not included in LR.
Sorry for adding nothing constructive (other than ADD THESE FEATURES! (the first two, anyway)), just wanted to share my frustration.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Nov 07, 2012 Nov 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I really hope that Adobe doesn't abandon this module. I currently do not use it because of the limitaitons, but let me tell you that I would if I could freely draw frames and drop in images, set borders for one or all images on a spread and build template (full-album and single page or spread). I currently am using $300 software to do this and it's not working well. I'd gladly pay $300 to Adobe for this feature that's so sorely implemented in this industry of wedding and event album layout design.
[ ◉"]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advisor ,
Nov 07, 2012 Nov 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't hold your breath until you see something different ... it will be at least a year to 18 months before Lr 5 comes out ... if Adobe sticks to their historical version cycles ...

With each passing day I am becoming more inclined to believe that Adobe developed the Book module to benefit Blurb's printing operation, rather than a tool for Lightroom users to design books. Currently, EVERYTHING that the module offers is wholly wrapped around the Blurb business model and is the way it is because Blurb requires it to be so ... it was not developed to enhance the average photographer's workflow ... It really goes against nearly every other software option Adobe has developed over the past two decades ... I find it VERY troubling ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 08, 2012 Nov 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I fully agree with all the statements about the frustration with the limited formats and locking us to Blurb as only option.
But: being able to create PDF files is helpful. This can be used to create digital books in a fast way, making use of all the design support the book function offers.

This option is demonstrated in a youtube video:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMkY_miWkOc

Not an alternative to what we all are asking for, but a way to make use of the book feature 'as is'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 17, 2012 Nov 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no use for the bookmodule without customisation of pages. I would also be happy to habe a double page layout.

Thanks!

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 25, 2012 Nov 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hopefully a template builder will be available in LR5.

It's flexibility is badly needed....

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 30, 2012 Nov 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any book module should include the most popular sizes and ebook capability. I tried using the book module with createspace.com (Amazon) and it was a nightmare. I ended up with something usable by adding extra columns but the cover ended up a bit squeezed.

Industry standard trim sizes:

Full-color interior books:
5.5" x 8.5"
6" x 9"
6.14" x 9.21"
7" x 10"
8" x 10"
8.5" x 8.5"
8.5" x 11"

Black and white interior books:
5" x 8"
5.06 x 7.81"
5.25" x 8"
5.5" x 8.5"
6" x 9"
6.14" x 9.21"
6.69" x 9.61"
7" x 10"
7.44" x 9.69"

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 15, 2012 Dec 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the current form, Book module is useless.

Primarily because of lack of custom page sizes for JPEG/PDF books.

I could live with the fixed layouts, but the fixed pages sizes are a restriction, which makes the module utterly useless: online print shops use all kind of different paper sizes and mine doesn't offer ANY of the sizes Lightroom forces me to use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 05, 2013 Jan 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Extremely disappointed.

I bought Lighroom 4 specifically because of its Photobook function, including the possibility to export pdf Photobooks, so I would become independent from individual photobook producers.

I had read that Adobe decided to only support Blurb (maybe getting quite some money from them for this effort to restrict their paying customers?), but given the pdf option, it still seemed better than using custom photobook software by individual vendors, which might no longer be supported in a few months/years and has no export functionality.

What utterly surprised me though are the restrictions and limitations of the Photobook module. It almost seems like Adobe is doing this on purpose to tie their users to Blurb.

How can a software like this be released
- without supporting custom (or at leas European) page sizes? You are selling this software in Europe, even at a significantly higher price than via your US website!!!
- without support for custom layouts? Even the simplest vendor-provided software solutions offer this.
- without easy and reliable support for text blocks?

What makes the situation worse were the promises many months ago that more flexibility would be provided soon (luring customers into buying LR 4) and then the complete turnaround, saying that the effort for Adobe is too much and the creation of custom templates would be too difficult for your users anyway.

If it was easy to return software for a refund, believe me I would. It's a pity that an otherwise well designed software has one module as flawed as the photobook module. As I bought it specifically for that module, the product is next to useless for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 05, 2013 Jan 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd like to be able create custom layouts too - particularly being able to move text and image placeholders. I'd also like to see the ability to link text fields to EXIF data. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 08, 2013 Jan 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would really like to be able to create completely custom page layouts from scratch in the blurb book module in Lightroom 4, and/or customize existing page layouts more fully and save as a new page layout. If I use BookSmart on the blurb.com website I would have that option, why not from within Lightroom?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 13, 2013 Jan 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to add my support to the points already made very well and in full above. I was very happy about the arrival of the book module and much prefer staying in the application and being able to edit books within the application, i.e. without exporting and with the full benefit of quick adjustements to virtual copies. But the limitations imposed by the the restrictive template-only approach are fairly extreme. We obviously should be able to create cells - both photo and text - of any size anywhere, to add as many as we want, to be able to overlap them, and to change their size and proportions as we wish. As it is, this feels like something aimed at low-end consumers (though I am not even sure that navigating the templates is actually easier than simply dragging photos onto an empty page and being able to do whatever you want with them). One telling aspect of the templates is that often the result will only look good with the (default!) option of 'zoom to fill' - which readily assumes that the composition of the photo is easily up for grabs, while arranging pleasing page layouts for multiple photos in their original, deliberate poportions can be almost impossible. Templates should work the way they do in other modules: they should be useful for inspiration and quick editing, but should in no way restrict the artistic design and possibilities.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 23, 2013 Jan 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to print a book, but I don't want to use blurb. The company I want to use prints on 8x11 paper but that is not a one of Blurbs page sizes so I can not seem to use it.
I contacted Adobe and they said that the book module was really only meant for Blurb and that they could not help me. I was actually told to check with Blub to see if they could support me...
Does anybody know if there is anyway that I can use the blurb module for anything useful (assuming I don't want to use blurb), or is it just something pretty to look at and to anticipate as an actual usable feature in Lightroom 5?

Any plugins, or any way to create or upload a new templet?
I know this question was asked before, but it was not answered, it left off with something along the lines of 'maybe they will answer this soon' Thanks for any help. By the way, after years of reading boards, this is my first time ever posting to one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, As you suggest in your 2nd paragraph, the Book Module in LR4 is, IMHO, nothing more than a place holder for a "coming attraction" - like a preview trailer in the movies. Right now, interesting to look at, hopefully a hint at what is to come, but for all practical purposes not currently usable for any serious purpose.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unless you're happy to use Blurb (which is good enough for some...) then I recommend just forget about the Lightroom book module. It seems like Adobe has changed their response a time or two since LR4 came out. My take is that they don't really have a plan, although maybe they get royalties from Blurb so that's all they'll ever do. See what they do in 5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 25, 2013 Jan 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having used Booksmart this was my main reason for purchasing Lightroom 4. What a let down! I pretty much agree with all that has been said by others.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 29, 2013 Jan 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Die Zusammenarbeit zwischen Adobe und Blurb ist sehr begrüssenswert. Leider entsprechen die Gestaltungsmöglichkeiten in Lightroom 4 / Buch nicht denjenigen der blurbsmart-Software. Ich würde es deshalb sehr begrüssen, wenn die Gestaltungsmöglichkeiten in Lightroom 4 mittels eines Updates ausgebaut würden.

Beste Grüsse

Votes

Translate

Translate